snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 12 October 2017, 03:21 AM

Default Solitary Pumas Turn Out to Be Mountain Lions Who Lunch

Solitary Pumas Turn Out to Be Mountain Lions Who Lunch

Quote:
the animals also known as mountain lions, cougars or panthers may be more social than previously thought, according to a new study published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances.

To study puma interactions, researchers tagged 13 of the animals with GPS trackers and filmed their behavior at Wyoming feeding spots from 2012 to 2015. The film showed pumas with overlapping or adjacent territories repeatedly sharing elk carcasses that were too large for one puma to consume. The shared feeding sometimes lasted days.
[ . . . ]
Based on the feeding visits, the researchers were able to map complex social networks of puma reciprocity.
Many people think of house cats as not being social; but given the chance most of them are highly social with other cats, and both barn cats and feral cats routinely live in colonies.

I'm not surprised if it turns out that at least some of the 'solitary' wild cats aren't as solitary as we've been thinking them.
Old 12 October 2017, 05:26 AM

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 12 October 2017, 05:32 AM

It is, I’ve never heard this. Thanks for posting!
Old 12 October 2017, 01:13 PM

I hadn't heard it before about pumas either -- in fact, I posted something in a different thread recently about their being solitary as adults except for mothers with kittens. I now wonder whether any of the 8 kittens photographed with the mountain lion in that thread might have been from a kitten-sitting arrangement with another cat; but, although such things are common with barn cats, it may be pushing it to wonder if pumas do so, as AIUI the lairs are separate, and some distance apart.
Old 12 October 2017, 01:19 PM

Apparently it's a brand new discovery. The scientist they interviewed on NPR this morning sounded really excited about it.
Old 12 October 2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I now wonder whether any of the 8 kittens photographed with the mountain lion in that thread might have been from a kitten-sitting arrangement with another cat; but, although such things are common with barn cats, it may be pushing it to wonder if pumas do so, as AIUI the lairs are separate, and some distance apart.
If you're thinking of the mother cat on the porch in Alaska with her ktitens, they were lynx.
Old 12 October 2017, 02:27 PM

Whoops. Though if mountain lion adults are hanging out together, maybe lynx adults are too, and it's just that humans haven't been looking for that.

The NPR story has a bit more detail.
Old 12 October 2017, 02:34 PM

Entirely possible, yes.

The audio from the NPR story is pretty cool, I recommend listening if you get a chance. It sounds very much like a fight, but apparently it's just the prelude to dinner. Maybe they're saying grace.

ETA, without comment:

Quote:
The study found that males, in general, received much more free food than they shared with others.