snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 10 October 2017, 07:47 PM

Icon06 Police: Student confessed to killing Texas Tech campus cop

A Texas Tech University student confessed to killing a campus police officer who had been booking him on a drug possession charge, telling detectives he had done "something illogical" and that "he was the one that shot their friend," an investigator said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...stody-50384028
Old 10 October 2017, 08:57 PM

This is another strange one. The shooting occurred in the police office while the student was being booked. So far, they're not saying where the gun came from, but they have indicated that it was .45 caliber, and that the slain officer's gun was still in its holster. How could he have managed to bring a .45 with him undetected? It seems awfully strange.

Apparently the campus Democratic club had to apologize for a tweet blaming the Texas law that allows people with concealed carry permits to bring weapons on campus, calling it a stupid idea. Well, it is a stupid idea, but the student here is 19 years old, and you can't get a concealed carry permit till you're 21. Ooops.

Also people are expressing (legitimate, IMO) doubt that things would have gone down this way if the student hadn't been white...that he would have been more thoroughly searched, kept in handcuffs, or both (assuming something worse didn't happen).

Another slight mystery is the indication that the police were making a "welfare check." This, apparently, in police lingo, means that someone had made a report that the student might be in trouble or causing trouble, which gives the police cause to enter without a warrant. It may well have been legitimate, but no details have been provided. (There also have been no details regarding the "drugs" that were present.)

In any case, tragic all around.
Old 11 October 2017, 05:22 PM

On your third point, my first reaction when I heard the story was "how was he brought in with a gun still on him?" On someone who was "acting erratically who might have a weapon, " and was brought in for drugs no less.

But full disclosure: almost everything I know about police procedure is from TV.
Old 11 October 2017, 10:38 PM

A friend of mine who is a retired University police officer (in Wisconsin, not Texas) notes that, while he is of course not familiar with the specific procedures used at Texas Tech, campus police in general are trained to see their job as something of an educational one -- i.e., putting students back on the right path, as opposed to simply arresting lawbreakers. I imagine it's possible that, if the suspect was being cooperative and behaving normally, it might have been normal to avoid too intrusive a search or the unnecessary use of restraints. (Obviously, that may be re-evaluated, and not just at Texas Tech.)

So far as I can tell, they still haven't released any details about the weapon or the details of what happened, so it may be a while before we can know.
Old 12 October 2017, 03:44 AM

Police

It is standard police practice to search everyone who is subject to custodial arrest. If the arrested person brought the gun in my guess is that the officer is human and made a mistake. Either he forgot to search him, chose not to for whatever reason or missed it when searching him. All these happen because cops or human and make mistakes. Sometimes, and unfortunately this time, those mistakes have fatal consequences.