snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 11 October 2017, 04:29 PM

Just for curiosity sake, why didn't you tell them about the bad experience?
Old 11 October 2017, 04:48 PM

I already explained it all to them at the time it happened. The office manager got involved but she did not do enough to make me want to stay as a client. I shouldn't have to explain it all to them again. I told them when it happened that I wouldn't be returning, and when they called last year I told them "I am no longer a client, remove me from your reminder list." Obviously they are not getting the message.
Old 12 October 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
About two years ago, I had a bad experience with my dentist that resulted in me informing them that they had lost my business and I would not be returning as a patient. I've already had to tell them once to remove me from their reminder list.

This morning their office called me to "reschedule [my] hygiene appointment" and offered me an appointment time tomorrow morning.

I was going to ignore the phone call, but then I wondered if they had somehow f'ed up and actually scheduled me for an appointment. It was the use of the word "reschedule" that made me concerned, because I haven't been there in two years and I never scheduled anything after that last appointment. It would be annoying enough to receive a reminder call ("you're overdue for your cleaning") after I've already told them once not to call me. But this one implied that I had missed an appointment that I'd never made.

So I called them back and told them once again to take me off their reminder list, this time using the excuse that I'd moved out of state.

If they ever call back again I'm going to tell them that I've moved out of the country.
There is a doctor's office within walking distance of our house downtown and so my husband and I tried it out - but their office staff was HORRIBLE and the doctors were all med students who were supposedly supervised by doctors we never got to meet.

We switched to a practice that is a 10 min drive but actually has, you know, competent doctors and office staff.

That place we tried out calls me and my husband every 2 weeks to remind us we are overdue for our checkups. We've called the office about 60 times and they claim they can't remove us from the reminder alerts.

Our dentist, however, is wonderful. I switched from being an employee to being a contractor and the dental insurance was not worth what COBRA would charge, but my husband gets dental insurance on Dec 1. She doesn't bug us, she booked us for appointments on Dec 2 .

I am very dentist phobic after having a terrible orthodontist and braces for almost 4 years and she is the sweetest, kindest dentist ever and has even said I can keep my wisdom teeth (I have a huge mouth, so there's room, and one of my greatest fears in the world is having any teeth pulled). My teeth are still straight enough (not braces perfect, but my dad lost teeth due to his poor orthodonture (his parents were dumb enough ask if he wanted braces and he said no) and during our first consult she asked me what my goal was - I said "Keep all my teeth til I die" and she said "done.").

If you have an iPhone (or probably any other kind of smartphone) you can program calls from the offending office to be immediately ignored, that's what we do.
Old 13 October 2017, 02:55 AM

D'oh!

I was walking through a store today when I passed the Halloween stuff. They had a plastic Triceratops skeleton for sale labeled "rhino dragon."
Old 13 October 2017, 07:29 AM

So dd and I have had a little conversation repeatedly about various movies and TV over the past month or so. It goes like this: "Papa, are you sure that Velma is the smartest one? Not Fred?" Yes, definitely Velma because... "Papa, is Twightlike* Sparkle the smartest?" Yes, she is because... "Is Moana's grandmother really smart and not crazy?" Yes... Every time it's a female character that seems to be causing the questioning. The patriarchy that causes this 'confusion' is so annoying. Thank goodness for some media with smart females. Sheesh. Makes me just want to throw the other shite out. (* With our oldest it was always Buzz Likeyear... )
Old 13 October 2017, 11:45 AM

Back when I was working for a city government, I saw a woman in the hallway showing her daughter a picture of our fire department. There was one female firefighter, and the (uniformed) admin assistant was a woman. The daughter was questioning why they were in the picture, because "girls aren't firefighters." I introduced myself, told them I worked there, and explained who the women were, that they were in the picture because they both worked for the fire department, and that yes, that one there really is a firefighter, that's why she's dressed the same way they are (the AA's uniform was different).

She didn't believe her mother, and she didn't believe me. She clearly hadn't learned that crap from her mother.
Old 13 October 2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
So dd and I have had a little conversation repeatedly about various movies and TV over the past month or so. It goes like this: "Papa, are you sure that Velma is the smartest one? Not Fred?" Yes, definitely Velma because... "Papa, is Twightlike* Sparkle the smartest?" Yes, she is because... "Is Moana's grandmother really smart and not crazy?" Yes... Every time it's a female character that seems to be causing the questioning. The patriarchy that causes this 'confusion' is so annoying. Thank goodness for some media with smart females. Sheesh. Makes me just want to throw the other shite out. (* With our oldest it was always Buzz Likeyear... )
Same conversation back in the day with my son whenever he saw women driving a car in a cartoon or movie he was watching "Women don't drive cars." I would then proceed to list all the women he knew who drive cars (which was just as many women as men this was the '90s and we were not living in Saudi Arabia!!!) Anyway he remained unconvinced. As he pointed out, Velma and Daphne don't drive the car. Sigh. And in some ways that cartoon was head and shoulders above others in how the showed strong female characters. Which is damning with faint praise I guess.
Old 13 October 2017, 02:34 PM

My uncle is my dentist.
Old 13 October 2017, 02:44 PM

Does he have a fish tank in his office? No, wait, you're in Brisbane, not Sydney. . .

LTTAM: I stopped at a 24-hour pharmacy on the way to work to fill a scrip, and the pharmacist refused to fill it because it wasn't 8:00 am on the 30th day since I filled it. This sounded like nonsense to me: the standard is 30 days, not 720 hours, and other pharmacies have filled it for me the evening before the 30th day. I ended up filling the scrip at a pharmacy near my office, and when I told that pharmacist what the first one said, she literally rolled her eyes. She said pharmacists that work at night often don't want to fill controlled scrips, but she thought it was silly under the circumstances (customer filling a scrip for an ADD med at 6 am on a weekday). Then she said something about people "freaking out" about controlled meds in general and that "they need to calm down."

ETA: The really annoying thing is that the first pharmacist didn't just look at the scrip and say "I'm sorry, due to store policy we can't fill that before 8." She took the scrip, looked at it, asked me if it had been 30 days since I filled it, took it over to the computer and (I thought) started to fill it. I'd actually wandered a few feet away to look at something and she called me back to the counter, then said something like "Because you filled it 30 days ago today, we can't fill it until 8."
Old 13 October 2017, 03:34 PM

That is amazingly stupid, Lainie.

LTTAM: My 4th grade son has to get on the bus for school at 610. That makes for early mornings for us. The bus driver told me this morning that she is going to start picking him up at 6:00, since the bus is not getting to school early enough sometimes (but they have never been LATE, just not as early as some like.)
Old 13 October 2017, 03:47 PM

What time does school start? I'm used to elementary schools starting at 9, and middle school/junior high/high school starting earlier -- which is entirely backwards, IMO, given the typical sleep patterns of small children vs. adolescents.
Old 13 October 2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
When I first started reading this, I thought it was going for Velma doesn't seem smart in the show. I haven't watched any Scooby Doo since I was a kid, so I wondered if maybe there were new episodes and they were dumbing Velma down for some reason to make Fred the smart one.
That would be bad. What you actually are dealing with seems worse, because it means that you can't even just carefully choose media that doesn't give that impression, because it has been internalized.
Old 13 October 2017, 06:28 PM

I once read an account of an elementary school class that took a field trip to a hospital and met a number of employees, including a woman who was a doctor. In a discussion after the field trip, at least one kid insisted that women could not be doctors. The teacher reminded the kid of the woman doctor they'd met, and the kid dismissed it, saying that woman couldn't really have been a doctor.
Old 13 October 2017, 08:46 PM

While my wife and I aren't teaching our son to be sexist like that, he still acts that way sometimes. He seems to be learning these things from his friends at school.
Old 13 October 2017, 09:41 PM

Car wouldn't start this morning. Called AAA, had to have the battery replaced, which the guy did right on the spot. That's a hundred bucks or so I didn't need to spend.

That's not really what annoyed me, though. It wasn't till after I got to work (an hour late) that I realized it was Friday the 13th. Dammit, I had providing anecdotal support for superstitions!
Old 14 October 2017, 01:05 AM

Someone keeps knocking on my next-door neighbor's door. Go away, dude. They're not home. All you're doing is annoying me.
Old 14 October 2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
One of my worst high school bullies tried to add me on Facebook a few years ago. Yeah, request denied. Go to hell.

I never went to any of my high school reunions. I got back in touch with a few people on Facebook but we really didn't have anything in common any more.
One of my Facebook friends is a guy who used to steal my lunch in high school (not forcibly, he stole them from people's lockers). I mentioned it to him, and he was quite embarrassed.

My 25th high school reunion is in two weeks. I am not going. I'm already Facebook friends with the students I liked, and the rest are just faces in a crowd. Of of my former classmates maintains a Facebook group for our class, so I don't feel like I've ever really lost touch with anyone.

I went to a private, Christian school. Most of my classmates grew up to be conservative Christian adults, while I turned into a very liberal transgender atheist. A couple of years ago my high school was in the news for refusing admittance of a child who had gay parents. We discussed this in our Facebook group, and a large number of my former classmates agreed with the school. So yeah, I'm not anxious to see these people.
Old 14 October 2017, 06:07 PM

This year would be my 20th high school reunion, but I haven't heard a peep about it. A google search has come up with nothing, too. Not that I would have gone, but we were a pretty large class of students and I'm a little surprised to hear nothing about it.

LTTAM: I'm in a book club. I've been enjoying it. We meet monthly. A month before our next meeting, a vote was set up to pick our next book. A week later, we had picked the book (I voted mostly based on what was available at my library). So I went to the library and it wasn't on the shelf. The librarians put a hold on it and said they would look around. A week later, still no book, so they put in an interlibrary loan request. A week later, still nothing. So now I'm down to a week until our next meeting and I still don't have the book.
Old 14 October 2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
This year would be my 20th high school reunion, but I haven't heard a peep about it. A google search has come up with nothing, too. Not that I would have gone, but we were a pretty large class of students and I'm a little surprised to hear nothing about it.
(
Maybe other high schools are different but I know for mine if some public spirited student or two didn't take it upon themselves to organize something there would be no reunion. For my graduating class I know we've had reunions pretty regularly at the classic times - every 10 years in our case. But my sister's class had a 10 year reunion and that was it. Just nobody willing to take on the work of organizing it I guess.
Old 14 October 2017, 09:51 PM

Baseball

The woman that was the big social machine back in my last high school was the one who arranged our 10th anniversary reunion. I was out of the province so I was unable to attend. It turned out to be meh**, from the few people I know that did attend.

I heard nothing of the 20th, so I don't know if one occurred. My 30th would occur this year, if there will be one.

**She tried to make it kid friendly, as she had 4 children. But, in the end, it turned into a kids event in a park with little to no interaction between adults. My daughter would have been about 8 months old, and I would not have had much to attend for anyways.