snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 26 September 2017, 01:22 PM

It's a bit weird that a social media provider should have to clarify whether or not threats of nuclear war (from somebody who would be in a position to actually bring that about) breach their terms of service...

I wonder if they'll have to insert a clause that "Declarations of war made through Twitter will not be considered legally binding. World leaders intending to declare war should do so through formally recognised international channels. Twitter takes no responsibility for any wars resulting from the use of its platform."?
Old 26 September 2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It's a bit weird that a social media provider should have to clarify whether or not threats of nuclear war (from somebody who would be in a position to actually bring that about) breach their terms of service...

I wonder if they'll have to insert a clause that "Declarations of war made through Twitter will not be considered legally binding. World leaders intending to declare war should do so through formally recognised international channels. Twitter takes no responsibility for any wars resulting from the use of its platform."?
Threats of nuclear war, although still threats, are not banning offenses if they are "important news".

So if you HAVE nukes and threathen to use them, it's not a bannable offense but if you don't have nukes, you could be banned!

Old 26 September 2017, 05:13 PM

Also, if you have nuclear weapons and are the kind of guy to actually threaten to use them, I might think twice about banning you from anything, so not to provoke you threatening me...
Old 27 September 2017, 01:05 AM

Those 'leaders' don't think of Asians living in Asia as people. Like most Americans, they can't name any of these countries on a map. Except US troops - the only number of people in Asia - actually the only people in Asia - the US media regularly talks about.
Old 28 September 2017, 01:55 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yes, you want to say to Trump, "Everybody already knows that the USA is much stronger than North Korea, including the North Koreans! Apparently the only person you're trying to prove this to is yourself!"
Of course, if this conflict ever goes beyond dick-stroking and tweeting, Trump will act like this fight is the equivalent of D-Day, because we all know D-Day was a massive offensive strike against a deeply impoverished nation of 25 million people that haven't directly attacked us and have existed more or less in a constant state of famine since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

If anyone wants to have an idea as to what life is like in North Korea for the Average Joe Blow Citizen, the book, Nothing to Envy, is an invaluable resource. It can also help out anyone writing dystopian or post-apocalyptic lit, because North Korea is pretty much living it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Also, if you have nuclear weapons and are the kind of guy to actually threaten to use them, I might think twice about banning you from anything, so not to provoke you threatening me...
I keep hoping there's some way we can get Trump banned from Twitter. He clearly can't handle it and if Armageddon comes, I'd rather it not come from some 140 he typed out while on the john. You wouldn't deliver the Emancipation Proclamation or the Gettysburg Address on Twitter, so don't announce nuclear war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Those 'leaders' don't think of Asians living in Asia as people. Like most Americans, they can't name any of these countries on a map. Except US troops - the only number of people in Asia - actually the only people in Asia - the US media regularly talks about.
I'd be impressed if Trump could find Asia on a map, at least, the part that isn't Russia.

Dwight Eisenhower was the last Republican president who didn't leave his country in worse shape than it was when he took office. Best case scenario: Donald Trump will be the last Republican president, not just the last US president.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:33 AM

Jaded Trump says Tillerson "is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man"

President Trump said in a tweet Sunday that he told Secretary of State Rex Tillerson "he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man" -- a reference to North Korea's leader.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-t...-with-n-korea/
Old 02 October 2017, 02:06 PM

How presidential of him. Undermines the Secretary of State and childishly taunts another world leader (even if that world leader needs to be led off to a very well sealed room with lots of locks on the door) in the same tweet. I still cannot believe there are actually people out there who think his tweets are signs of positive presidential action.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
(even if that world leader needs to be led off to a very well sealed room with lots of locks on the door)
Could we put both of them in there, please?
Old 02 October 2017, 05:32 PM

Bang Head

Dude, he's your Secretary of freakin' State. If you disagree with the way he's handling a diplomatic situation, call him into the Oval Office and tell him you want him to take a different tack. Don't air your grievances like a middle schooler on social media.

ETA: The fact that he (again) resorted to childish name-calling of another world leader is just the icing on this particular $#!& layer cake.
Old 02 October 2017, 06:03 PM

But if he talks privately to the Secretary of State, we can't all swoon at how manly he is!
Old 02 October 2017, 06:33 PM

I am just waiting for the Trump Days to be over and we can all look back in disbelief and say "Did any of this really happen?"
Old 03 October 2017, 02:40 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
How presidential of him. Undermines the Secretary of State and childishly taunts another world leader (even if that world leader needs to be led off to a very well sealed room with lots of locks on the door) in the same tweet. I still cannot believe there are actually people out there who think his tweets are signs of positive presidential action.
I can't believe that there are people who still believe that Donald Trump is some kind of eleventh-level chess player and all these hissy fits, on and off Twitter, are secretly Machiavellian strokes of genius.

It's probably some kind of defense mechanism. They have to believe that the system is strong and impossible to beat, so anyone who does, must be some kind of supergenius. They don't want to admit that the system is much more fragile than they think, and that it wouldn't take much work to hijack it, especially if you have a shitton of cash and a corrupt foreign government willing to go to bat for you.

Easier to believe you got schooled by a Magnificent Bastard Chessmaster, than admit that you were done in by an insanely lucky idiot.