snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 15 February 2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Or else I'd arrange to have all this snow delivered to your front steps.
Do you take orders online or is there a phone number to call? I'd like a quote on an airdrop of 100 m3 to cover a 1,000 m2 area over a 1 hour period.
Old 16 February 2017, 02:19 AM

Facebook keeps deciding that I don't want to see my Mom's posts. I have to look up her name and track her down every few days to see what is up with her, as most of her communication nowdays is through Facebook. I like and comment on what she posts, but Facebook keeps deciding that I don't really want to see what is up with her.
Old 16 February 2017, 03:10 AM

Facebook has been very wonky for me lately. I've found I often have to click on someone's profile to see posts from them that didn't show up in my News Feed. The option to have friends listed as "See First" doesn't work for me at all, no matter which browser or OS I'm using. I mean, I can click it and mark them as "See First," but it doesn't show me their posts first, and sometimes it doesn't show me at all.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:36 PM

Whalephant

There is a scene in a TV show where I was positive people descended a staircase. I said so once on a message board and was told no they don't. So I rewatched it and no. They don't. So it annoys me that I was thinking about this episode yesterday and once again in that one scene my mind still insists they are descending stairs.
Old 16 February 2017, 02:21 PM

Maybe you are from an alternative time line where they did walk down stairs?
Old 16 February 2017, 03:01 PM

Was it that bit in Monty Python where Michael Palin tries to return a dead parrot while walking down some stairs?
Old 16 February 2017, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Michael Palin was the clerk who insisted the parrot was still alive. You're thinking of the bicycle sketch, where he toured the country while riding a bicycle badly. He rode it down stairs in that.

LTTAM: Finding out what a mess our storage hold code process is, because of course I now feel obligated to clean it up.

Seaboe
Old 16 February 2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
There is a scene in a TV show where I was positive people descended a staircase. I said so once on a message board and was told no they don't. So I rewatched it and no. They don't. So it annoys me that I was thinking about this episode yesterday and once again in that one scene my mind still insists they are descending stairs.
I'm interested to know what scene and from which show! Or is descending a staircase just an analogy to simplify something more complex?
Old 16 February 2017, 08:12 PM

Baseball

And another 25 cm today. Third storm in 7 days.

This puts the 7 day total at 145 cm.

Or in layman's terms: too freakin' much.

I've got nowhere left for me to move it. My driveway, which in sunnier times extends well past my house, now only has enough parking space to get my vehicle off the road.

I'm ready for spring.
Old 16 February 2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
And another 25 cm today. Third storm in 7 days.

This puts the 7 day total at 145 cm.

Or in layman's terms: too freakin' much.

I've got nowhere left for me to move it. My driveway, which in sunnier times extends well past my house, now only has enough parking space to get my vehicle off the road.

I'm ready for spring.
You need a 50 gallon tub of this.
Old 17 February 2017, 12:01 AM

dfresh, is your mom on your close friends list? (I think you can only edit that on a computer; I can't find it on the app or mobile version of the site.)
Old 17 February 2017, 12:23 AM

Your mom is on EVERYBODY'S close friends list...
Old 17 February 2017, 05:05 AM

Facebook treats people as a commodity for sale. If you're not popular in their algorithms, it doesn't matter whether one person interacts with you or not.

When Facebook switched to this method, I started seeing two particular extroverts in my newsfeed constantly. Ultimately I just unfollowed them. But you can also select a chronological news feed rather than a curated one, which sometimes helps.
Old 17 February 2017, 07:45 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I'm interested to know what scene and from which show! Or is descending a staircase just an analogy to simplify something more complex?
It's the episode Nightshifter from the second season of Supernatural. Towards the end of the episode the Feds have gotten into the bank, have realized Sam and Dean have escaped and Agent Hendrickson is heading towards the exit. In the background you see a tall SWAT guy pointing a gun at the ceiling and I think that's probably Sam in his stolen SWAT uniform. My mind insists this scene is them all walking down stairs but nope.

On the brighter side this has got to be a textbook example of false memory.
Old 17 February 2017, 07:45 AM

Facebook

Yeah I switch between the 'Top Stories' and 'Most Recent' feeds on Facebook since there's a bunch of posts that appear in one but not the other. No idea how many posts appear in neither but I'll occasionally go to a friend's profile page and the first few posts will be labelled 'Posts You Haven't Seen Yet' so there's at least some.
Old 18 February 2017, 02:06 AM

Mouse

Thought I'd do this rant in this thread because the title makes it so apropos:

I hate it whenever someone says "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." It's just idiotic; casual study of history proves again and again that it is invariably the small stuff that winds up screwing you over. It snowballs and turns into a whole lot of Big Stuff that could have been prevented if you had taken on a problem when it was still Small Stuff. If anything in this world works, it's because of an army of anal-retentive weirdos who put in the work, sweated the small stuff, and made sure every "I" was dotted and every "T" was crossed.

Though as long as I'm castigating sayings, I also don't like the "Reach for the moon. If you fail, you'll land among the stars," adage. Basic knowledge of Astronomy, people: the stars are much further away than the moon.
Closed Thread