snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 March 2019, 08:09 PM

Little thing that annoys me related to my last post: Through work we have this online car buying service through TrueCar.com, which supposedly offers some sort of discount off of the MSRP. When you go there to look at cars, it asks for your contact information to see the discounted price. And when you do that, you immediately get dealers contacting you. I just wanted to check prices; I didn't want to talk to dealers yet. But apparently to them "check price" means "have local dealers send you offers."
Old 25 March 2019, 08:24 PM

I looked at a couple cars through such a service last year when I bought my Prius. I still get contacted by dealerships long after I bought my car. I won't be buying another car for 8-10 years so its a waste of their time and mine.
Old 26 March 2019, 12:15 AM

Happened to me too. The specific car I wanted was at one dealership only, but I wanted quotes on comparable cars I could pretend to be considering for negotiating purposes. Mazda of Cerritos is unbelievably persistent.
Old 26 March 2019, 02:15 AM

I had that happen too. There was one that persisted long after I told them that I would never do business with them if they kept calling me. I couldn't block them, so I assigned a silent ring tone to that number so it would at least not disturb me.
Old 26 March 2019, 10:42 AM

Read This!

My latest LTTAM is a trend in click-baity headlines, which are already annoying enough. I'm even starting to see this from main stream news outlets, especially on twitter.

The trend? The phrases "gets dragged for it" and "has the receipts." Usually about some stupid thing a celebrity or politician said, which happens with depressing frequency these days.

X says "Y", and gets dragged for it!

X says "Y", but Z has the receipts!

Ugh!

I know it's all about cashing in on the drama of the situation, but jeeze come up with a different description! Be original! Write an actual freakin' headline!

This is a dangerous question, but can click-bait get more annoying?
Old 26 March 2019, 02:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
I went to counseling today.The waiting room gave me pause. There was a phrenology bust decorating the bookshelf.
IMO, if you can bring yourself to do it, you should ask about the bust, and you should say that its presence affects your view of the professionals you're going to see. As I understand counseling, they can't help you if you don't trust them, and from your description, not knowing whether they know what a bunch of bull excrement phrenology was is affecting your level of trust.

Seaboe
Old 26 March 2019, 02:28 PM

I would never guess that they put it there not knowing that phrenology was BS pseudoscience. I would think that it there as a tongue in cheek nod to the history of the profession or as a conversation piece.
Old 26 March 2019, 03:29 PM

When I was looking to buy my car I went to the manufacturer website picked the car and features I wanted and then set about finding one locally. I contacted several dealers with the exact specifications. Instead I got a bunch of 'we have something close" that was not that close.

The car i was looking for was a black SUV with a Navigation system (really just wanted the hard drive for music).

One dealer sent me an email stating they had exactly the car I was looking for. An orange Dodge Charger. Yep. That's what I wanted.
Old 26 March 2019, 04:10 PM

Reminds me of when I was shopping for a new car about 13 years ago.

I was looking for something that was four door, automatic transmission since i can't drive a stick, had good gas mileage,still had decent interior room, and wasn't too expensive.

The first thing the dealer tried to show me was a Dodge Viper that was non of the above.

I vowed on the spot to never patronize that dealership.
Old 26 March 2019, 05:02 PM

Last time I was car shopping I stopped at a dealer specifically to test drive a bright red Corolla S with manual transmission and black leather interior. I can only assume my age and gender are what made the sales guy suggest that I instead drive the grey Camry hybrid with the ugliest upholstery I have ever seen. I think he didn't believe I knew how to drive a 6-speed until I was actually driving it. I sort of regret not buying that car, but I am glad I didn't give that salesman my business.
Old 26 March 2019, 06:59 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I would never guess that they put it there not knowing that phrenology was BS pseudoscience.
Beach, it made her uncomfortable. She should ask about it. I agree, it's probably just art, but she needs to feel comfortable.

Seaboe
Old 26 March 2019, 07:38 PM

I totally agree she should ask about it, I just wouldn't assume it was placed there out of ignorance as to what it represented.

I would hope that they remove it as it doesn't server any purpose other than decorations and its clearly upsetting at least one of their patients.
Old 27 March 2019, 12:30 AM

My Prius died today. It happened as I was pulling into a parking place at the vet's office. I had to push the car the last 10 feet into the parking slot so it wasn't sticking out in the drive. The tow didn't take long. DW picked up both me and dog just as we came outside to wait for her. I still have my pickup to drive and I prefer it any way. So that is a little thing. Any equally little thing is that if the Prius is unrepairable, at least at a reasonable cost, as it has paid for it's $5000 purchase cost several years ago in both cost savings in gas and because it came within 50 cents of being completely totaled a few years ago when I got rear ended. I got a check for half the original purchase price and I fixed it with a big hammer. The big thing is that I just bought the new license registration last Friday for 2 full years instead of just one. As I was doing that, I made a joke to the clerk saying that maybe I should just get a 1 year registration as I wasn't sure the car would last 2 more years. Should have knocked on would when I said that.
Old 27 March 2019, 02:31 AM

So do Toyota deaths occur in threes? Any predictions on whether another snopester will be posting in the near future about the death of a Camry?
Old 27 March 2019, 03:01 AM

My son had the engine in his 3 year old VW Golf self destruct due to a valve spring that came apart 2 weeks ago. Does that count?
Old 27 March 2019, 03:16 AM

It's kind of weird how phrenology despite being so clearly debunked so long ago remains a source of powerful and popular symbols. That it's been debunked is well known. Less well known, I guess, is its terrible history. Plus there seems to be this lingering misconception that it actually did play some small positive scientific role. So its imagery and derivative imagery seems to appear a lot on various decorative things in many related fields, including logos and textbook covers, etc. (I came across this issue recently with an international group who I know well and who definitely should know better. In their case, however, the origin of the imagery would only be clear to someone paying attention, not an obvious case. My guess is that it's almost always "hey, this looks cool"... as it is with so much art, just not too much thought going into it.)