snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 07 June 2018, 09:48 PM

Icon07 CDC: U.S. Suicide Rates Have Climbed Dramatically

Suicide rates have increased in nearly every state over the last two decades, and half of the states have seen suicide rates go up more than 30 percent.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...d-dramatically
Old 08 June 2018, 10:28 PM

Default Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain: celebrity suicides can impact those already on the edge

As news of two celebrity suicides has upset many people around the world this week, it has presented a possibly lethal risk to a segment of the population: those already struggling with their own mental health issues.

“Here we have two people similar in age, with different fan demographics, but who both have young kids, and are well liked and well respected in their fields,” Julie Cerel, president of the American Association of Suicidology, tells Yahoo Lifestyle regarding the suicides of both designer Kate Spade and chef/TV host Anthony Bourdain in recent days. “So people might say, ‘If their life is so bad, and they had everything, what hope is there for someone like me?’”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kate...180217346.html
Old 09 June 2018, 03:23 PM

Thank you, E.Q. I heard the end of this report but forgot to look up the whole article when I got home. I am surprised that the rate would be so much higher in some areas like Montana (25-30/100,000) than in others like New Jersey (5-10/100,000). I wonder if some of it is reporting issues, since I have heard that often suicide is not officially listed on death reports.
Old 12 June 2018, 02:22 PM

Reading

Very interesting and introspective column from Sunday's Wash. Post.
Old 13 June 2018, 11:07 PM

I don't think much of that article. It seems intent on equating "depression" to "sadness." Everyone is sad from time to time, usually for very understandable reasons. And yes, learning to cope with it and the knowledge that it will pass are important.

Depression is different. Simply adjusting your expectations is not going to fix it. The sadness I feel when I learn that someone I know or admire has died is not the same feeling I have when I'm just feeling isolated, alone, and generally unfulfilled. The most trivial stimulus can result in a wave of that kind of despondency -- and the exact same stimulus at a different time might not affect me at all.

For me, the hope that someday I will find more happiness is part of what helps me get through it. I have one friend who has more-or-less resigned himself to never really being happy. He gets by, but I don't know how. One of my own personal conflicts is that some of my dreams are centered around something that I know to be pretty much impossible -- yet I feel that to stop wanting them to come true, rather than allowing me to move on to more modest hopes, would just make me feel there wasn't much point to going on at all.
Old 14 June 2018, 12:10 AM

Icon07

On the heels of this comes the news that the locally based, and well used suicide prevention hotline is closing at the end of the month. All calls will be routed to another national hotline located in another city.

Why?

No one wants to pay for it.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:18 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I don't think much of that article. It seems intent on equating "depression" to "sadness." Everyone is sad from time to time, usually for very understandable reasons. And yes, learning to cope with it and the knowledge that it will pass are important.

Depression is different.
That's an understatement!
I reread the article after posting it, and yes the author does make good points, but I think he could outlined some of the differences between sadness and full-on depression.
Old 14 June 2018, 06:04 PM

I heard a bit on the news that several medications including some for high blood pressure, can cause depression as a side affect.
Old 17 June 2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I heard a bit on the news that several medications including some for high blood pressure, can cause depression as a side affect.
As can one of the epilepsy medications I am on, at least according to someone my support group. Now I am not sure if this should be taken seriously. I generally don't take the opinion of the layperson seriously. The can take against something for some reason and, since this is a urban legends website, give a "friend of a friend" story more credit then it deserves.

But 12 years ago when I was diagnosed I was part a drug trial and one of the questions asked was about my mood.

Now I wonder is the fact I sometimes feel sad due to the fact my memory has been affected and I am no longer working and I am very unlikely to get that library qualification I have wanted since I was 12. This qualification was just a pipe dream. I was making definite steps towards it.

There are other things going on, like the loss of my favourite Aunt, the family business is struggling so my brother and sister-in-law are estranged and my Mum and Dad don't have the life style they should have. And there are issues with my disability pension.

So am I depressed, is my medication effecting me or am I the "right" amount of sad considering the circumstance.

Cause when I answered the question mentioned above I didn't say I was especially sad cause I thought my mood was about right considering what was happening in my life at the time. Now I wonder.