snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 November 2018, 01:29 PM

One of the things I have been talking to my kids about, for years, is that just because someone said it doesn't mean it is true. This started with things said by various friends, and then people on the internet (my son thought if it is on-screen, it MUST be true, since the internet wouldn't let you put untruths on), and now it extends to politicians and the regular media.
Old 14 November 2018, 01:36 PM

OK, I got suckered in by a phony story on a parody site involving President Trump. I withdraw my comment.

Still, Trump is a little thing that annoys me.

Last edited by Brad from Georgia; 14 November 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 14 November 2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My tendonitis has been so bad this past weekend that I spent some time trying to figure out if I should walk to the nearest emergency room (I cannot drive, because my shoulder won't let me shift gears without screaming pain). I'm okay this morning, at least until the Ibuprofen wears off in about an hour or so.

I intend to call the doctor and ask for a better anti-inflammatory, if such a thing exists.

Seaboe
That sounds like a torn rotator cuff. When I did that, I had to shift with my left hand. That is not easy even if you are as long armed as me.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Note that they're not holding the space as a one off because they're getting a skip delivered or something, they do this every day of the year.
If your city has an ordinance about street parking being public parking, I would place a quote from the code on the dashboard before parking. Not that it would change anything.

My sister's next door neighbor used to block off parking at the curb beside his house, which was a lot of parking because he lives on a corner. He'd put old stumps and trash cans and such in the street. He finally got a visit from the police who told him he couldn't do that. However, he still yells at people who park by his house.

Her neighbor is generally an asshat, though. I don't think his behavior is typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
That sounds like a torn rotator cuff. When I did that, I had to shift with my left hand. That is not easy even if you are as long armed as me.
Well, unless you can get a torn rotator cuff while sitting at a desk, and unless the pain escalates gradually from slightly stiff in the morning to incredibly painful at night (without doing anything physical in between), and then the pain fades again in a few days, I don't think that's it. However, I will be finding out. I'm going to see an orthopedic doctor tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm taking lots of ibuprofen and hoping all this sleeping only on my left side doesn't make my bursitis flare up.

That would really be the pits. I would have to learn to sleep sitting up.

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2018, 04:28 PM

After rotator cuff surgery, I slept in my reclining easy chair. The arm rests kept me from rolling over onto my shoulder.

And a torn rotator cuff can cause pain that comes and goes. At least it did for me.

ETA: In any case, good luck.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:03 PM

I just got a Nigerian Prince email purporting to be from Steven Mnuchin. This is a pretty good summation of what Trump's administration has done for the country.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
That sounds like a torn rotator cuff.
Hey, Richard, it looks like you're right. I have to have an MRI, but the Xray showed only a very small calcium deposit. Cross your fingers that I don't need to buy a new vehicle.

Seaboe
Old 15 November 2018, 11:39 PM

I'd trust a random person purporting to be a Nigerian prince more than I would Mnuchin.
Old 18 November 2018, 02:17 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
OK, I got suckered in by a phony story on a parody site involving President Trump. I withdraw my comment.

Still, Trump is a little thing that annoys me.
In fairness, Brad, I can completely understand why you might have made that mistake, because Trump renders parody and satire moot. Both parody and satire are based around use of comedic exaggeration to drive a point home. The trouble is, exaggeration is impossible when it comes to Trump. Trump basically IS the exaggeration. No matter how well-crafted a parody and satire may be, almost immediately after it’s released, Trump will do something so cartoonishly evil/bigoted/any number of bad adjectives that apply to him, which will render any prior satires/parodies quaint.

It’s why, even though I haven’t watched the video, when this video appeared in my YouTube feed, I was like, “Stephen, you fool! Why would you say something like that?!” It’s like all those TV shows/movies where a character says something like, “It could be worse” or “That was easy.” Immediately afterwards, things get FUBARed even more.

Out of curiosity, any Snopesters living in or around Yorba Linda, CA, how has the wails of Richard Nixon’s angry ghost affected property values? I’ve kind of assumed (and will probably continue to believe, regardless of what anyone says) that since 2016 onwards, the area has echoed with him being all, “Oh come on! They got me out of office with less than what they have on this asshole!” Poor Nixon...born too early and served too early. In your day, villains had to have some competence to go with all the evil. They had to plot and scheme, not just kick and scream.
Old 18 November 2018, 04:27 AM

I just realized that the athlete's foot cream I've been using has been giving me some seriously stinky feet. Like, I could smell it while my shoes were on.

I'm going to switch brands.
Old 18 November 2018, 11:31 AM

I got this week's copy of Private Eye through the post on Wednesday or so. I've had a busy week and I only read the first page, if that.

I put it somewhere to read later - I vaguely remember putting it in my bag at one point to read while I was waiting for somebody (or on a train?), but now I want to take it on a train with me to read it properly, it's not in any of the bags I would have used and I can't find it at all.
Old 18 November 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Hey, Richard, it looks like you're right. I have to have an MRI, but the Xray showed only a very small calcium deposit. Cross your fingers that I don't need to buy a new vehicle.

Seaboe
At worst, you might need to rent one with an auto transmission for a few weeks. Or find a right hand drive English or Japanese car.
Old 19 November 2018, 06:48 PM

Glasses

The injection of contrast I got for my MRI is now making my shoulder ache. Also, I wonder if MRIs can cause headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I got this week's copy of Private Eye through the post on Wednesday or so.
That's my sister's English BIL's favorite weekly.

Seaboe
Old 19 November 2018, 09:30 PM

Yes to headaches. Not sure of the validity of this since it seems to be from a law firm specializing in law suits from side affects of the injection.

"What are the side effects of gadolinium?
Side effects can occur in those injected with gadolinium-based contrast agents. However, they are often mild. The most common side effects are headaches, nausea, itchiness, dizziness, vomiting, and inflammation. In some cases, patients may have allergic reactions to gadolinium that ranges from mild to severe.
Gadolinium Toxicity | MRI Side Effects | Gadolinium Lawsuits
https://www.thejusticelawyer.com/pra...inium-lawsuit/ "
Old 19 November 2018, 10:39 PM

Isn't "headaches" one of the most universally listed side effects for pretty much everything?
Old 19 November 2018, 11:14 PM

Sorry, I need to go lie down and rest. I have a headache from reading this site.
Old 19 November 2018, 11:41 PM

I hear that's a common symptom of reading to many ULs during an election year.
Old 20 November 2018, 12:43 AM

So is high blood pressure. Usher's Scotch has probably had to put on an extra shift just for me since the orange thing got elected.
Old 20 November 2018, 03:21 PM

Glasses

Thanks for the information, Richard. I still have a headache today. However, I'm about as likely to sue over something like that as Trump is to voluntarily step down and stop tweeting.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2018, 09:57 AM

Teacher

An update to my posts on Sept 14 and October 19 : it's been over two months since I discovered that the people running the Work For The Dole program hadn't been properly recording my attendance (to the tune of at least 100 missing hours) but I finally got a resolution of sorts! The last I heard they were going to look into it and then ring me in the first week of November and then didn't hear from them again. I had a regular meeting with them today which just happened to be chaired by the office manager (because the guy who usually runs the meetings quit) and when I asked her how my WFTD problems were progressing it was really obvious she'd never heard about it and had no idea it had been an issue. She went and talked to my usual rep and then came back to me and said "Look, the guy who's been running the WFTD program and was responsible for all that is no longer with the company, I've decided we're going to credit you with the full hours so just don't worry about it." It was pretty obvious that everyone had forgotten about it and no one had done anything to fix it and I guess she didn't want to admit that to me so she just chucked it all in the 'too hard basket' and wrote it off.

So yay that this will no longer be hanging over my head and I don't have to worry about suddenly being made to do unpaid work in an opp shop for three days a week, but booo that it didn't actually get resolved properly and I never got an explanation on why things went so badly off the rails.

Also I'm really really not surprised that the guy who screwed all this up was no longer with the company and had either quit to escape his responsibilities or been fired, he was deeply incompetent.