snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 15 September 2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Might be time to :gulp: delete my account entirely.
Unless they've changed things you can never really delete entirely - all you have to do is key in your username and password and you're right back where you were when you left.

I've got a few friends now who've made the break from FB. So far I haven't done it because I do like the convenience it offers in terms of getting info and updates from family members - especially my kids. For me I'm ready to cut the cord with Candy Crush. The newest levels coming out have been increasingly populated with almost impossible to win without boosters games. I get that the makers aren't doing this out of any sense of benevolence and that one way they make money is when the players break down and buy extra lives or tools. But when they start making almost all the levels so hard you can't possibly win without spending money I call shenanigans. Time to find another time waster .
Old 15 September 2018, 07:17 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Ive often felt the Guernica was one of the few acceptable applications of cubism. The style is grotesque, but, for once, so is the subject matter. Not that I know much about art beyond what I like vs. what I dont like, but then who can really claim to know more than that? /philosophizing
This is very much my feeling about this piece. It allowed me to see the emotion that can be carried in art. I started to look at art differently after I saw that picture.
Old 15 September 2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Ive often felt the Guernica was one of the few acceptable applications of cubism.
It's sometimes called cubist which is truly puzzling because it only takes a few of the rather superficial aspects of cubism, if that. I guess a little thing that annoys me is that 'cubist' lost all meaning as people tried to understand the many styles that followed.

I've also never really understood why people would be aesthetically offended by cubism. It's often one of the more accessible forms of 'abstraction' IMO.

But I do get that much of Picasso's post-post-cubist work (including Guernica) is more accessible. Perhaps it's because his art of that period includes much earlier (and, perhaps, therefore more fundamentally accessible) forms that have been part of art almost since humans started painting.

Sometimes it seems the artists in the centuries before that were so successful in marketing that people really began to believe that very narrow version of art was the best and real and any abstraction was suddenly childish even though it has been the rule rather than the exception for much more of history and prehistory - and not because humans had not yet learned to do non-abstract. (Even some cave paintings demonstrate good draughtsmanship but it had certainly arrived by the earliest civilizations.) It's as if people started thinking 'TV = sitcom' and everything else was considered 'primitive TV'.

Art history and museums don't help this problem because they spend way way too much time and space on all that European stuff (at first I wrote crap but obviously it's not all crap and what's wrong with crap?) from 1500 to 1900. Cubism gets the blame for ruining that because it was Europeans 'discovering new continents'. Yet those earliest escapes from the painting sitcom were almost clinical in their exploration. Not so Guernica. By that time, those precious western white boys had had finally journeyed bravely out to the outback - where the rest of humanity had been living for 30,000 years.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 15 September 2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 15 September 2018, 10:46 PM

I received a leaflet through my letter box from a party calling itself 'For Britain', which really should call itself 'Against Muslims'.

That's not a little thing that annoys me. That's a little thing that infuriates me.

What annoys me is that I taped the shredded remains of the leaflet along with a note warning that anybody who tried to deliver said leaflet again will be forced to eat it (without butter)... and the tape I used left a faint mark on my front door.

My front door is pretty filthy anyway, so I'm hoping that the mark will just blend in.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:15 AM

Apparently the ABC has decided that the date that they show the new season of Dr Who is a state secret. I saw an ad for it and they gave a date but I missed it. I checked on their web site but I can't find a date. I watched it in repeats thinking they would have the date for the new seasons either before or after but they didn't.

Add to that they are showing 3 repeats in the early hours of the morning but they aren't consecutive episodes but one of each of the last few doctors.

But at least they are showing Peter Capaldi's finale episode which I missed. Mum wanted to watch the tennis. I was sort of upset but thought they would repeat it. Well at least I thought they wouldn't wait 9 months to repeat it.
Old 16 September 2018, 06:25 AM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Apparently the ABC has decided that the date that they show the new season of Dr Who is a state secret. I saw an ad for it and they gave a date but I missed it. I checked on their web site but I can't find a date. I watched it in repeats thinking they would have the date for the new seasons either before or after but they didn't.

Add to that they are showing 3 repeats in the early hours of the morning but they aren't consecutive episodes but one of each of the last few doctors.

But at least they are showing Peter Capaldi's finale episode which I missed. Mum wanted to watch the tennis. I was sort of upset but thought they would repeat it. Well at least I thought they wouldn't wait 9 months to repeat it.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-2...eason/10013820

October 7th, 2018. And october 11th 2018 in France (in the original version, with french subtitles. No time to dub it). And yes, about "Twice Upon A Time", it sucks, but you can still, if worse comes to pass, buy the DVD. Or buy it on iTunes.
Old 16 September 2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
October 7th, 2018. And october 11th 2018 in France (in the original version, with french subtitles. No time to dub it). And yes, about "Twice Upon A Time", it sucks, but you can still, if worse comes to pass, buy the DVD. Or buy it on iTunes.
October 7, 2018 in Australia would be before the BBC showing in the UK. So they have to wait until October 8th (bolding mine).
Quote:
Less than 24 hours after the reveal that Doctor Whos eleventh series will begin on 7 October or 8 October for those of us in the land Down Under Sharmill Films has confirmed there will be cinema screenings of the episode all over Australia.
Old 16 September 2018, 12:29 PM

Jaded

It was my brother's birthday party last night and he lives a fair way outside the city and I wanted to arrive at the party by 6:30 so I left with plenty of time to catch the necessary trams and trains but thanks to awful luck with cancelled services I didn't get there until 8. One of the other party goers offered me a ride back to the city at 10:30 so I should have got back home by midnight at the very latest but thanks to them changing their plan several times and then telling me at 11:30 that their lift might not come at all I didn't get home until nearly 2am. It was also bitterly cold so I spent a fair chunk of that travel time freezing my butt off on exposed train station platforms waiting for a replacement train at the start of the evening and then again at the end of the night when I spent an hour walking back to the train station.
Old 16 September 2018, 03:15 PM

Sue, there's deactivating, which isn't permanent, and deleting, which is. Many suspect, quite reasonably, that even after deleting your account your data will be permanently saved somewhere no matter what Facebook says, but after I think 2 weeks at least you can't go back to it anymore.
Old 16 September 2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Sue, there's deactivating, which isn't permanent, and deleting, which is. Many suspect, quite reasonably, that even after deleting your account your data will be permanently saved somewhere no matter what Facebook says, but after I think 2 weeks at least you can't go back to it anymore.
Thanks for telling me this! I'm not ready to give up on FB yet but I know a few people who have deactivated and are annoyed that it's not a permanent thing. I'll be sure and pass this info along!
Old 17 September 2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
... I'm really fascinated by those odd two-part socks people wear with them. What's up with that?
I never saw those before! Wikipedia claims that they were made that way because the lower part (the one on the feet) got mor wear and tear and could be replaced without the need to throw away the upper part.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:18 AM

Cell Phone

I was scheduled to do Work For The Dole today but I had some paid work come up so I had to get my Job Network Agency to make a note on the system showing that I had a legitimate reason for missing WFTD for the day. This caused a lot of problems before I got it sorted out.

But then when I turned up to my worksite it was all locked up and it turns out that they'd forgotten I was supposed to turn up that day and they'd knocked off early and gone home. (Admittedly I turned up quite a lot later than I told them I would, but the worksite is pretty relaxed that way.) So as it turns out I didn't do any paid work today after all. This also would have been a very big problem if I had to go back to my Job Network Agency and tell them I missed WFTD but didn't end up doing any paid work but luckily I did some other paid work this week and I can fudge the dates.

If I'd texted the guys at the worksite earlier in the day to let them know I was running late then I would have saved myself a trip all the way across town and back but I was all "Eh, those guys are always running late and making me wait for them with no explanation, let's see how they like it for a change!" so I can't even be mad at them for forgetting I was going to turn up.
Old 17 September 2018, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
LTTAM: My browser seems to be inserting extra line breaks in all of my posts.
Finally, someone else is running into this issue. I've started previewing all my posts so I can take out the extra line breaks. Sometimes it even adds two extra lines, and I can't figure out why.

Seaboe
Old 17 September 2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I received a leaflet through my letter box from a party calling itself 'For Britain', which really should call itself 'Against Muslims'.
I just had a voice mail from Faith Goldy, candidate for Toronto mayor. And she's a neo-Nazi. I didn't even listen to the whole message ('tough on crime' as a cover for 'get rid of PoC') and I felt like washing my ear out with bleach.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:27 AM

Sometimes the same people who would praise (g)you for an accolade or title or whatever are really quick (I mean, as if they've been waiting for the occasion) to use it against (g)you, as in "Gee, you're a ___ and you can't even ___." Well, That's Fine. Abbreviated. (New title. No need to congratulate. Or scorn. Just, shut the Fine up.)
Old 18 September 2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
October 7, 2018 in Australia would be before the BBC showing in the UK. So they have to wait until October 8th (bolding mine).
Yes October the 8th here. They finally had an ad for the new season in todays repeat (subtitle "It's about time!" They got that right!). But no time given. Since the 50 year special the have been fast tracking it* so if you are really keen you can get up and watch in the early hours of the morning. At what I presume is the same time as the UK. So maybe they aren't giving a time because they are still deciding if they are going to do that.

And they are now repeating Peter Capaldi's final season (I think). Maybe they are timing it to match up with the new season.

*off and on.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:20 PM

Speaking of Dr Who - it's not a terrible thing that I've never seen this show and have no interest in it! Really, it's not but you wouldn't think that based on the reactions I get from some of the people in my life. To them me not being interested in Dr Who is on the same level as someone else confessing to not ever having read Harry Potter or eating an orange. Inconceivable!
Old 18 September 2018, 03:35 PM

Speaking of Harry Potter, it's also not a terrible thing that I haven't read them. I was an adult when they first started being published, and the first book is quite clearly for young children. That's great! Young kids need good stories! But I'm hardly wrong to choose not to read children's books. If you like them, great, but they aren't for me, and I'm tired of everyone thinking I should.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:44 PM

Sue, Darth Credence - you are both terrible people to not like Dr. Who and Harry Potter. I thought you were much more cultured than that.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:47 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Speaking of Dr Who ... not being interested in Dr Who
Psssst. It's Doctor Who. Doctor is part of his name, not a title so it isn't abbreviated like a title would be. Except in a movie which shall remain forever despised, the "Who" was never part of his name, but the standard response when he introduces himself such as "I'm The Doctor." "Doctor who?"

Just trying to keep you safe from rabid fanboys.