snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 July 2018, 01:42 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Sitting here watching Columbia vs England in the world cup. Very little sprinting, a little running, lots of jogging and walking, fair amount of standing about. Basically one or two guys running, everybody else walking or trotting.
I went to a PSV vs Den Hague game in the Netherlands a few years ago. On the electronic billboard, they showed the distance run by the players during the match. I was surprised to see that the 10 runners on the team essentially covered 10 km in 90 minutes. I did not think it would have gotten that high.

But they did go that far.
Old 04 July 2018, 05:50 AM

According to the German Sportschau website, the members of the English team did run, walk, jogg or trott a collective distance of 142.8 km in the first three games of the world cup. That's an average of 47.6 km per game, on a field that is only 100 m long.

Also, for some reason Mr. Southgate is apparently wearing a magic tie. I'm not sure whether that should be considered doping. Is it a silver and green tie?

Last edited by Don Enrico; 04 July 2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04 July 2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Yeah, I think of hockey as soccer on ice. (Obviously I'm more of a soccer than hockey fan -- no offense intended to hockey.)
Hockey isn't played on ice it's played on grass or turf. Oh I get it you are talking about ICE hockey. Well if you are talking about ice hockey say ice hockey.
Old 04 July 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Also, for some reason Mr. Southgate is apparently wearing a magic tie. I'm not sure whether that should be considered doping. Is it a silver and green tie?
There's a picture of it in this tweet (as well as the original words to the song). I think it's red, silver and dark blue:

https://twitter.com/J4ke_w4lker/stat...80330148040704
Old 04 July 2018, 12:04 PM

So not House Slytherin, then.
Old 04 July 2018, 01:06 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234

Note that a certain NBA player should get extra credit as he has to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court.
Hee! A few years ago I was watching some sports interview show or other and he was being interviewed and towards the end of it the interviewer got a huge giddy look on his face and asked him about... the movie.
Old 04 July 2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
According to the German Sportschau website, the members of the English team did run, walk, jogg or trott a collective distance of 142.8 km in the first three games of the world cup. That's an average of 47.6 km per game, on a field that is only 100 m long.
10 players (ignoring the goalie), that's roughly 5 km per player per 90 minutes. An average speed of only about 2 MPH? That's a moderate walk for 90 minutes.

Those numbers don't seem to agree with previously posted distances.
Old 04 July 2018, 05:05 PM

The distances I posted were those for the current top team and player, so by definition are higher than average.

But as I said, I don't think you can usefully get an average speed from those numbers and declare it to be "only 2mph" - that would be like averaging Usain Bolt's speed over all the time he spent in the stadium for an event, including sitting around waiting. When they're actually running they'll be running fast...
Old 04 July 2018, 05:31 PM

Baseball

I have found a couple of articles describing this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...n-miles-2014-6

https://www.quora.com/How-far-would-...run-in-a-match

One thing is for certain, I did not run nearly that far my last soccer match.
Old 04 July 2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The distances I posted were those for the current top team and player, so by definition are higher than average.

But as I said, I don't think you can usefully get an average speed from those numbers and declare it to be "only 2mph" - that would be like averaging Usain Bolt's speed over all the time he spent in the stadium for an event, including sitting around waiting. When they're actually running they'll be running fast...
Since soccer is a "continuous" sport I think the average speed is a relevant metric. It clearly shows a fair amount of the 90 minute standard game time is not spent actually running, or even jogging.

It is silly to compare Bolt's <10 second exertion by averaging over the hours he is in the stadium since he isn't required to do anything strenuous except for those 10 seconds. A soccer player wouldn't be on the team long if they only ran 10 seconds during a 90 minute match (even a goalie runs more than that).
Old 04 July 2018, 07:45 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Hockey isn't played on ice it's played on grass or turf. Oh I get it you are talking about ICE hockey. Well if you are talking about ice hockey say ice hockey.
My coworker was talking about hockey and a field and I was very confused. It seems countries without winter think hockey as field hockey and the rest of consider it to be ice hockey.
Old 04 July 2018, 10:44 PM

Back to questions: What can I call the hairstyle commonly referred to as a "Mohawk"? It is neither accurate nor appropriate to call it that. Wikipedia tells me it is sometimes called a "Mohican," or an "Iro" (short for Iroquois), but those don't help. Many peoples have used this hairstyle. I'd love to have some other descriptor for it.
Old 04 July 2018, 11:01 PM

Icon401

Crested, Roman helmet, taxi driver hairdo, pointy ridge, stegasaurus hair, fin-head, spiked, eh... I’m out.
Old 04 July 2018, 11:48 PM

Australia

We normally refer to a recipient as a "Galah"
Old 05 July 2018, 01:24 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
My coworker was talking about hockey and a field and I was very confused. It seems countries without winter think hockey as field hockey and the rest of consider it to be ice hockey.
Any hockey not played on a rink or iced surface is simply street hockey...

Old 05 July 2018, 03:13 PM

I've never seen field hockey played. The only depictions I've seen are in movies where it is played at girls' prep schools.
Old 05 July 2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I've never seen field hockey played. The only depictions I've seen are in movies where it is played at girls' prep schools.
Pretty accurate. No field hockey major leagues that I know of...

OY
Old 05 July 2018, 03:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
the elevator in Canada might be the only one within 50 miles.
Having grown up in some of the richest wheat country in the world (the Palouse Hills), I can tell you that elevators in this area tend to be about 50 miles apart. I think you're right about what happens when the one in Canada is the closest and/or most convenient, however.

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 01:45 AM

Random musing: Is there any car that still offers vinyl seats? I remember the Toyota my dad drove when I was a kid had them (apart from the color it was virtually identical to this one, which is the think that made me think of this question). I'm pretty sure our first minivan, a 1984 model, had them as well. Now it seems like they're all either cloth or leather. Granted I'm not sure there's much reason anyone would want vinyl apart from price. I suppose it would make spills easier to clean up, so that might be an advantage for someone with kids who didn't have the budget for leather.
Old 06 July 2018, 01:50 AM

There are a bunch of cars that offer "synthetic leather."