snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 September 2018, 12:07 PM

I saw the Lotus Elan +2 again today, driving past this time, so I saw it from the front. It was definitely an Elan +2. I'm assuming it's the same car I saw before.

Later on I also saw a Jaguar Mark 2 parked outside one of the local churches and done up for a wedding.

(I walked down to Marlow, and on the way through Wycombe also saw two Rolls-Royces - one current one and one from the 1980s - a Maserati (GranTurismo I think; a two-door one anyway) and a Ferrari 458 Italia).
Old 23 September 2018, 11:54 PM

When I went for a walk earlier my neighbor* was out driving his Nash Metropolitan. The same guy also owns a Studebaker Daytona, which I'm sure I've mentioned before.

*using a very loose definition of "neighbor"; he lives several blocks from me but in the same general neighborhood.
Old 24 September 2018, 02:26 PM

Glasses

I saw an old Pontiac (1960s era), but I only saw it briefly, from the back, so don't know what kind of Pontiac it was.

Seaboe
Old 25 September 2018, 04:42 AM

On the way home tonight I saw a car that looked like it was from the early 1950s. Unfortunately, I only got a look at the back of it -- it was ahead of me in the in the turn lane next to me, and it went left while I was waiting for the light to go straight. It had kind of a rounded trunk lid and small tail fins, not the huge fins that came about in the late 1950s. It had a name on the back in script style letters, I couldn't quite read it but it looked like it started with a 'P'. I think it maybe said either "Packard Eight" or "Pontiac Eight". Looking at pictures on the internet, I couldn't find any Packards that looked quite like what I saw, although there were some with rounded trunks but no fins. This Pontiac is the closest I could find, but it's not quite right, either. Namely it didn't didn't have an emblem like that on the back, nor did it have the chrome bars down the back (if it did I would have recognized it as a Pontiac when I saw it).
Old 27 September 2018, 02:24 PM

Glasses

I forgot to say I saw a classic Corvette the other day (the one I saw was about that color, but wasn't a convertible).

This morning, on the way to work in the dark, I saw the tail lights and bulk of what may have been a 1971-72 Fury, but it was going off on the collector-distributor while I was staying on the main line, so it was a fairly brief glimpse. I'd recognize the tail lights, but most car pictures on the internet show the front ends. Oh, well.

Seaboe
Old 27 September 2018, 04:18 PM

I saw a 1955 Ford Fairlane 2 door, 2 tone,
Old 27 September 2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
On the way home tonight I saw a car that looked like it was from the early 1950s...
I'm starting to wonder if the car I saw was really just an old Chevy and I misread the nameplate based on some pictures I looked at. The picture I linked to before is actual a Canadian Pontiac, which was really just a Chevy with Pontiac trim. Except I'm not quite convinced, because none of the Chevies I've looked at have the script style lettering on the back that I saw, and the car I saw didn't have the emblem on the back that all the Chevies seem to have.
Old 28 September 2018, 02:06 PM

Glasses

I saw a Porsche Cayman. Or perhaps a Cayenne. That script is impossible to read in traffic.

Even slow traffic.

Even barely moving traffic when I am directly behind the car in question.

It was very pretty, though.

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2018, 03:25 PM

Was the Porsche an SUV or a sports car? The Cayenne is an SUV, the Cayman slots in somewhere between the Boxster and the 911 in their sporty car lineup.
Old 28 September 2018, 06:33 PM

Glasses

Ah. It was a sports car. So a Cayman (it definitely said CAY--it's the letters after that that were hard to read).

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2018, 07:27 PM

My hometown FB group is discussing the car on the right -- it's a Jaguar XK120. There's some disagreement as to whether it's a drophead coupe or a roadster.
Old 28 September 2018, 07:31 PM

I can't look at the picture because they block Facebook at work, but I suspect Roadsterboy can enlighten us as to which one it is.
Old 28 September 2018, 11:26 PM

IIRC, in that era, a drophead coupe would be what we now call a convertible while a roadster would not have a top at all.

ETA: After extensive research on that most impeccable of sources, Wiki, I still have no idea if the above is true.

ETAA: Further research indicates that a drophead coupe would be a 2 door, 4 seater convertible while a roadster would be a 2 door, 2 seater convertible. Again, I am absolutely positive that this might be right or maybe wrong.

Last edited by RichardM; 28 September 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 28 September 2018, 11:47 PM

Today I ran up to Alamogordo to visit in-laws. On the way up, I saw a flotilla of antique cars in the parking lot of White Sands National Monument. One was a Model T and on a trailer. On the way back home, I pulled in and found out that that the group was out touring the monument. So I took the loop to see them. I passed them but instead of u-turning and following them out, I continued on the scenic loop. It is beautiful.

On the drive back to Las Cruces, I passed the group again. All appeared to be older than 1935. I was able to positively identify only the Model T. The interesting thing is that this group of 6 cars started from Las Cruces, drove over the San Augustine Pass which is 5719 feet elevation and were headed back again when I passed them. To summarize, these cars all 80 to 90 years old, climbed from 3900 feet over the 5719 foot pass down to 4200 feet at White Sands and (hopefully) back again.
Old 29 September 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
IIRC, in that era, a drophead coupe would be what we now call a convertible while a roadster would not have a top at all.

ETA: After extensive research on that most impeccable of sources, Wiki, I still have no idea if the above is true.

ETAA: Further research indicates that a drophead coupe would be a 2 door, 4 seater convertible while a roadster would be a 2 door, 2 seater convertible. Again, I am absolutely positive that this might be right or maybe wrong.
Apparently, the drophead coupe had roll-up windows, which one poster suggested would have been better for the winter. So maybe the roadster just had a pop-off roof? IDK anything about cars, except that some of them are beautiful.
Old 29 September 2018, 01:34 AM

I had an MGB which was described as a roadster. It was a 2 door, 2 seat convertible with roll up windows. I stored the convertible top in the garage because a new one cost $75. Other than that, I dunno.
Old 29 September 2018, 07:12 PM

A 1977 VW camper van. I know it was a 1977 because it was for sale, and the year was listed on the sign among other details.
Old 29 September 2018, 10:43 PM

The real question about my pic is why someone was driving a new, or at least late-model, Jaguar XK-120 in small town northeast Ohio in the winter.
Old 30 September 2018, 01:37 AM

Why not? Cars are for driving. It snows in England to a Jaguar should be able to drive in the snow. I drove my MG in the snow. With the top down.

ETA: Speaking of MGBs, I saw on today, with a Mississippi license plate here in New Mexico. When I was 20 (i.e. young and dumb ) and driving the MG, I would have driven it from there to here but the driver looked substantially older than 20.
Old 30 September 2018, 03:58 PM

A number of people who were around in my hometown at the time the picture was taken thought it was unusual -- snow aside, someone in town having a jaguar is unusual enough that we may be able to identify whose it was.

I'll take their word for it re: what was unusual in that time and place.