snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 May 2018, 11:50 PM

Had a dream last night where there was someone who had a very clear and definite name - but upon awakening, I could not pronounce it. I'm guessing it was some kind of pre-language "identity marker" that worked in the confines of my dream-brain, but had no vocal equivalent in consciousness? Maybe? It was weird, anyways, and I can still sort of remember... how it felt, sort of. Certinaly not how it "sounded"!
Old 30 May 2018, 08:49 PM

Ponder

My right hand is hollow. There's a hole in the side of my hand at the base of the thumb where you can see inside and there's nothing, no bones, muscles or anything, just the skin layer that the light is shining thru. But outside, it looks fine and works like it should.
Old 31 May 2018, 02:21 PM

I went to another of those conventions that I go to (in my dreams).

I'm unemployed and I'm sitting through someone on a podium making a presentation, and I'm wondering how this can possibly help my career.

I and some of the other attendees were presented with a free dinner, but the reason was to evaluate our social skills. I opened the container with the free dinner and there was an interview question we were supposed to answer. I had no way of knowing the answer but others apparently knew it, so, to not look like a total fool, I returned the dinner untouched to the person giving them out, saying it wouldn't be the right thing to do for me to take it.

After this was over I met with two people I knew, one of whom was unemployed and happy about it, and went to the second floor to see the exhibits there I always like to look at.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 03 June 2018, 05:12 PM

(1) A former star athlete came to visit some of us. He showed us the newest invention in food, little packets to mix with water to make different flavors of soup (packets about the size of the salt-pepper packets they give out at Burger King) and gave us some free samples. I didn't get to try any yet.

(2) One of the television stations is carrying a block of programs called "The Middle Class," starting at 11:00 A.M. and consisting of British drama shows that would typically run on PBS.

My cousin told one of her friends about it and the friend got all excited about it and said it was even better than being married.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 03 June 2018, 07:46 PM

I learned that my bed being at one end of a busy office full of strangers is annoying for everybody. It's annoying for the people trying to work, because I snore. And it's annoying for me since I can see people thinking I'm lazy, and I keep wanting to wake up and explain that I'm allowed to be having a lie-in while they're all working, because I don't even work there.
Old 04 June 2018, 06:39 AM

Whalephant

There is a new optional car feature- white plastic rods that emerge from the underside of your car and from which a canopy emerges, shading your car. It's very popular but people are annoyed as it won't deploy unless you've driven a minimum of 35 miles first.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:16 AM

There is a kind of LARP-or escape room-style "adventure" - possibly at a major theme park, or not, it wasn't clear - where attendees get to be teams of superheroes. It is run by a retired actual supervillain, who recreates an actual old plot of his over and over and over again. It involves a wooden puzzle box containing items that need to be properly assembled inside a time limit, followed by a pursuit of clues, to the conclusion.

I got separated from my group for some inane dream-reason, and was lagging pretty far behind, so I got a hastily thrown-together puzzle box (but I got to keep it!), figured out the subway car puzzle (attendees enter a subway system, then become confused as to whether they're on the proper car or still in the subway station; one has to make the right decision in a very short time period), and then something Went Wrong.

I was out in the parking lot when there was a big crashing sound, and I saw someone being flung from a high window - NOT part of the game. I ran to intercept the hurtling person, then saw an actual superhero, dressed more or less like a Pontifical Swiss Guard, complete with halberd, also running to intercept the victim before he hit the ground, I nearly got hurt/killed as he used the shaft of the halberd to catch the falling man, pretty much right over my head, in a way reminiscent of Pai Mei in Kill Bill vol. 1 (around the 4:35 mark), but it all worked out.

The puzzle box that I got to keep was, as stated, hastily thrown together, but it was hand-crafted by an actual supervillain (ret.)! A cool memento.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:00 PM

My family has been visiting for the past week but didn't make any arrangements to have anyone come to the family house to feed the cats. The cats have died of starvation.

It was a really upsetting feeling to wake up to, however glad I was to find it wasn't true.
Old 08 June 2018, 09:53 PM

Whalephant

The NFL has upped the number of teams to 62.

One n e w franchise owner has decided to place his team where he thinks there is a huge need for one... Wisconsin's thumb. Even being told outright "that's where Green Bay is, you idiot!" did little to deter him until the NFL said no. So he chose LaCrosse, figuring "all the Iowans right across the river will come". Yeah, that's Minnesota.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:10 AM

Whalephant

Universal is filming the Pern series and people are very excited to see it except fans are not happy with the actress cast as Menolly as the actress always plays loud, brassy characters.
Old 16 June 2018, 01:11 PM

While doing some kind of vague, possibly construction-related work in a residential skyscraper (we were informed to NOT TOUCH the residents' personal belongings on pain of pain, while we were working), I found a tee shirt explaining the AD&D movie in sufficient detail (text and graphics) that I remembered a scene from the non-existent movie: the good guys have wisely decided to send out scores of groups of adventurers to meet the bad guys' threat, instead of just one. One such group, four magic-using types, is fairly high-level and kind of dickish about their status; they approach an outdoor cafe in a rural area and cast a spell that looks like a golden (like liquid gold, not like pee) rush of water, kind of like that famous Japanese wave print, which washes through a small building and possibly kills the people inside... as a mere announcement of their arrival. Their intended recipient is an even higher-level cleric and his coterie; he is definitely one of the bad guys but is sort of like Dr. Doom: urbane and regal and has boundaries, and isn't just EVIL. One of his family members was in that building, and he and his family and fellow bad-guy adventurers were just enjoying some tea and cakes. Now he's QUITE PUT OUT. He stands and, with a gesture, undoes the spell and restores the dead and wounded in the building to life and full health, repairs the damage to the structure, and puts the good-guy mages on notice that the have just f#%@ed with the wrong man.

I kind of wish this movie had been made!
Old 16 June 2018, 07:36 PM

I've purchased a classic Checker taxi and am using it as an Uber vehicle. Or maybe I'm just a regular cab driver. Either way I was driving people around in a Checker cab.

I actually woke up with the idea that it would be incredibly cool if someone actually did use a Checker as an Uber car. Except I figured it would be impossible because Uber requires that your car be no older that ten years old, and the last Checkers were built in 1982. Except while searching for that image I found an article about a company that will be building new replica Checkers, so it actually could be done.
Old 18 June 2018, 01:39 PM

One of the comic strips in the Sunday newspaper, formerly named after its main character, has changed its name. It's still in the same style, and features the same main character.

The comic strip below it in the newspaper has changed its name to that of the main character in the other strip. It also is still in the same style, and has an announcement to the effect that if you're looking for that character, that character is in the other strip, with a brief excerpt from the other strip.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 19 June 2018, 12:46 PM

I threw away my copy of the newspaper.

A gentleman a bit older than myself picked it up and explained to me that he keeps pictures of the Kennedys.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 20 June 2018, 06:43 PM

Apparently, my extended family is largely convinced that there was really mass panic after the 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds, and refused to accept my attempts to debunk it.

Yes, I look up snopes.com in my dreams, apparently.
Old 20 June 2018, 06:54 PM

There is a very popular sitcom on TV, reminiscent of late-70's/early 80's fare like Charles In Charge, that has as it's premise that the main character has his right big toe stuck in a door. Not in a doorway, actually stuck in a hole in the door itself. Every episode.
Old 28 June 2018, 01:11 PM

I had some more visitors at my house, apparently one or more women, one or more of their children, and a shady-looking divorce lawyer.

The divorce lawyer was evasive at first about who he was. He explained that because of an analysis of my spending habits I must have been married before, and therefore . . . (apparently somebody's trying to get some money out of me).

Thanks.

Bill
Old 30 June 2018, 05:12 PM

Motels are all connected via a series of secret underground tunnels. These tunnels serve as an escape route for human trafficking victims as well as a hiding place for the motel's employees when ICE shows up.
Old 02 July 2018, 05:08 PM

Fright

I'm afraid of crossing bridges. Even if I don't look down, I see enough of the bottom in my peripheral vision to be scared.
Old 02 July 2018, 08:58 PM

Last night, I learned my husband could scare me into a nightmare.

I woke (in real life) at around 3:30am with DH looking out the window, telling me to be careful whenever I took the dogs out because something had tripped the motion detector light. With this conversation, one dog stirred and started acting like he wanted to go outside.

I managed to convince the dog to go back to sleep and I fell asleep too. Then, I instantly dreamed that I just went ahead to take the dogs out, but since I was scared, I asked my husband to come with me. He did, and opened the door to outside right away before I could warn him of the lurking shadow of a man on the other side (the thing that had tripped the light). The burglar/murder? rushed in as soon as the door opened and I screamed myself awake.

I also learned it is not easy to scream oneself awake from a dream. It's like trying to scream through a mouthful of cement (which is its own terror).