snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 24 September 2018, 03:37 PM

Glasses

Welcome back, Lainie. We missed you.

I saw lots of cars, tried to refrain from complaining about traffic, and failed to post pictures of the best dog-boy in the world. So, business as usual.

Seaboe
Old 25 September 2018, 06:41 PM

Canada

What an eventful weekend...

The tornadoes have not rid you of me, snopesters!

I did have to drive around for two days charging up my phone, though.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:45 PM

So glad you checked in, Alarm! I thought I remembered noticing you are in Nepean. I hope you didn't have any damage! The worst that has happened for our extended family is some of us have lost the contents of our fridges. We are definitely counting ourselves lucky.
Old 25 September 2018, 08:36 PM

Bonsai Kitten

This week, our complex is having inspections done by the management. My turn came today, and when the maintenance guy opened the door to the room which houses the furnace and water heater, he found 20 soda bottle caps. Any ideas where they might have come from?
(Although China may have been responsible for some of them, seeing as I've had Shadow less than two months.)
Old 25 September 2018, 09:55 PM

Glasses

Hi,folks. I've been away from the boards for a while due to my health. Four hospital stays in four months has not been pleasant. But I met some great caregivers and I think that we may get this tired body running better.

But there was also the evil night nurse and her phlebotomist minion........

😉
Old 25 September 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
... when the maintenance guy opened the door to the room which houses the furnace and water heater, he found 20 soda bottle caps. Any ideas where they might have come from?
Just as long as there wasn't a deathclaw in there too...
Old 25 September 2018, 10:35 PM

I'm guessing smittykin's maintenance guy found Festus' Treasure.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:37 PM

Welcome back, Morning!
Old 25 September 2018, 11:36 PM

Hi, Morning!
Old 25 September 2018, 11:57 PM

It's now the Tuesday after the tornadoes and one of our local radio stations is still devoting almost all it's airtime to discussion of this. Up to a point I think this is the right thing to do and of course it's important that people affected have the chance to talk about it and that we all learn about what is going to happen going forward...but...come on you knew there was a but!!...but when is it time to stop focusing almost all our attention on this?

I know one can simply turn off the channel so it's not because I'm stuck listening to something I don't want to hear about - this is more just an "out of curiosity" question. How long should a story be The Only Story? I'd expect 4 days afterwards would be about time to not have it be the only story on the air. But perhaps I'm being insensitive?
Old 26 September 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So glad you checked in, Alarm! I thought I remembered noticing you are in Nepean. I hope you didn't have any damage! The worst that has happened for our extended family is some of us have lost the contents of our fridges. We are definitely counting ourselves lucky.
No damage, just an emptied freezer and fridge.
We were not near ground zero for any of the 6 tornadoes, so we were lucky.

Sue, it's going to keep being "the only story"TM until all residents have their power back...
and like I said above, Environment Canada reported finding out another 3 tornadoes touched down that day, so the story keeps growing.
Old 26 September 2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Sue, it's going to keep being "the only story"TM until all residents have their power back...
and like I said above, Environment Canada reported finding out another 3 tornadoes touched down that day, so the story keeps growing.
I know! I take back my earlier reservations! I was watching the news last night and I couldn't believe that we'd had 6 tornadoes in all. Of course this is a big story. Yikes.
Old 26 September 2018, 04:06 PM

I can't believe Canadian news is talking about a little thing like a hurricane when there is real news going on.
Old 26 September 2018, 07:57 PM

The maintenance guy came back today because he needed to fix something in the mechanical(furnace/water heater)room. He found two more soda caps.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:32 AM

Baseball

100 years ago today, a cousin of my grandfather was killed in France. It is a sad story.

Telford was a baker. A productive son to his parents who owned the bakery. In October 1917, he was conscripted into the army, showing up for duty in February of 1918. He completed training and boarded a ship to England in May. He arrived in France in August (during the last 100 days campaign). He joined his battalion on September 19th.

His battalion was slated to take part on a major attack as part of the Canadian Corps assault further into France. H Hr was set for 27 September 1918. It was to be his first attack.

Unfortunately, he was killed in the trenches the day before the assault began.

I can only think about his experience. A 27 year old conscripted soldier joining an army that was on a roll to defeating the enemy, six days in the trenches, killed the day before his first attack. Sad story.

This November, I'm going to be in his hometown during Remembrance Day. By happy coincidence, the military has me working nearby during the weeks surrounding the event. So, I will place my poppy on the cenotaph in his home town, where his name is engraved.
Old 27 September 2018, 04:31 PM

A young lady who grew up with my daughters was just arrested for running a huge meth lab. Seeing her arrested on television is impossible to describe. It has left me speechless.
Old 28 September 2018, 04:21 PM

Ambulance

I was walking through a nearby park at 10:30pm tonight when I heard someone calling for help and I found a little old lady who'd fallen over and broken her arm. I got another passerby to stay with her while I ran and got her husband from their house around the corner and the other passerby also called his housemate who's a registered nurse. After that we pretty much stood around waiting for the ambulance while the nurse made sure the little old lady didn't lose consciousness as she went into shock, and keeping her as comfortable as possible since she couldn't get up and could barely move at all. When she was awake she was just repeatedly apologising to us all.

The lady's husband seemed more annoyed than concerned, he was speaking to her fairly brusquely and when she admitted she'd been drinking that night after staying sober for 3 years he seemed pretty angry. He kept demanding she tell him where she'd been drinking, what she'd bought, how much of the bottle she'd drunk, etc etc. while the rest of us just stood there awkwardly.
Old 28 September 2018, 06:59 PM

I understand where he's coming from, but not really an appropriate time for that conversation. Good on you and the other passerby for helping.
Old 01 October 2018, 05:09 PM

My workplace is located on what used to be an Air Force base. The base closed back in the early 2000s, and it's now been converted into a business park, but there are still some military related things that remain, like a VA clinic and the commissary. As I was coming in to work this morning I noticed a police car headed in the opposite direction. When we passed each other I looked over at it and realized the car wasn't from any municipal police department; it was marked "Veterans Affairs Police". I did not realize that was a thing. I have no idea what the VA Police would have jurisdiction over.
Old 01 October 2018, 05:18 PM

Negligent discharge of pus?

Aliceblued out for the squeamish.