snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 September 2018, 03:47 PM

wrong thread
Old 30 September 2018, 08:49 AM

Whalephant

That, at an Indian Restaurant, you are not going to be getting an order of chips and salsa.

She was really obnoxious about it, too. "Well" pointing" they're eating chips and salsa... What? Papadum? No, those are chips. And I want salsa." Once they finally got the idea that they don't do chips and salsa through to her, she agreed to order papadums. Then complained bitterly about the price.
Old 30 September 2018, 04:54 PM

The last time we ate at our favorite old-school Chinese place, the family behind us tried to order a grilled cheese sandwich for their 4(ish)YO. Apparently the waiter mentioned that that wasn't on the menu, and one of the parents said something about restaurants having those even if they aren't on the menu. The waiter said "Not Chinese restaurants" and walked away.

ETA: He'd already made several alternative suggestions for things the kid might eat -- plain rice or lo mein noodles.
Old 30 September 2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I always write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS RETURN TO SENDER" in big letters across the envelope and cross out my address if I get mail for a previous tenant.
I had this ongoing problem for months; I had to resort to leaving a note in my mailbox for the postal carrier explaining that that person is not at this address. (Crossing out the bar code on the envelope didn't help either.) So far, the note seems to have taken care of the problem, but if I get one more piece of mail for them, I'm going directly to the post office to speak with someone higher-up.
Old 30 September 2018, 07:33 PM

France

Got the same problem : at the end of last year, my sister lived in my tenement, and had her mail, all of it, delivered there. Since them, I've received some mail order mailings addressed to her, even if she doesn't live here anymore. Thankfully, working for the postal service, I have a few "Return to Sender" stickers that I use to send that mail back to their senders. Doesn't seem to do the trick, though, but maybe they'll realize that I don't want their mail.
Old 01 October 2018, 03:04 PM

Glasses

Catalog senders really don't care whether the person they are purportedly sending the catalog to is at the address they've sent it to. Someone (they hope) will see it.

Lainie, I think that a restaurant would have to have bread and cheese somewhere on the menu in order to provide a grilled cheese sandwich, on or off the menu. Then again, entitled jerks teaching their children to be entitled jerks probably don't think of such things.

Seaboe
Old 01 October 2018, 03:07 PM

In a mild defense of expecting grilled cheese at Chinese restaurants if most of your experience of Chinese restaurants is buffets and buffets elsewhere are anything like they are around here you can expect to find lots of non-Chinese food choices. Pizza, french fries, onion rings, in one place they even have a carvery featuring roast beef, lamb etc along with yorkshire puddings - that one really threw me!
Old 01 October 2018, 03:29 PM

Glasses

Even so, Sue, if there is nothing on the menu with cheese in it, I think it would be unreasonable to expect the restaurant to have cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Seaboe
Old 01 October 2018, 03:38 PM

Are there common Chinese food dishes that use cheese? All I can think of is the cream cheese in Crab Rangoon and that's American Chinese AIUI.
Old 01 October 2018, 03:43 PM

I do not think so. In me experience, Chinese restaurants have always had non-Chinese options on the menu, but its unreasonable expect them to whip up just any old thing, especially if it involves ingredients they probably don't have.
Old 01 October 2018, 03:45 PM

A Chinese restaurant near us has wontons stuffed with cream cheese. They are too good. They may be Americanized Chinese food but then so are a lot of the other items on offer. For some people that's the only kind of Chinese food they want to eat and it makes sense for the owners to recognize that and keep those items available.

I'm not at all defending someone who demands a food choice that is not on the menu BTW just saying that it's not really a reach, at least at most buffets I've been to, to expect to see food that has nothing to do with Chinese cooking!
Old 01 October 2018, 04:46 PM

FWIW, I've got Chinese relatives by marriage; and I've been told that in at least some areas cheese isn't eaten and is considered rather repulsive.

It's a big country, of course, with a lot of different cuisines; and a Chinese restaurant in the USA may be doing something different from any of them. But demanding that a specific Chinese restaurant produce cheese may be kind of like demanding that an American diner produce thousand-year-old eggs.
Old 01 October 2018, 04:57 PM

I guess what it comes down to is it may not be rude to ask but it's bloody rude to insist! If you are dining out with a picky child you would be well advised to bring along something he or she will eat if all else fails! I speak, sadly, from personal experience on this one!
Old 01 October 2018, 05:19 PM

China

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I've been told that in at least some areas cheese isn't eaten and is considered rather repulsive.
That reminds me of an interview I heard on NPR a while back. I can't remember who their guest was but it seems like he had written a book about his experiences immigrating to the US from China as a child. In the excerpt he read on air he had been playing with some of the neighborhood kids and one of them invited him to his house for lunch or something along those lines. They served what to him seemed like (I'm paraphrasing) some weird mushy orange stuff that smelled like feet and to him seemed completely disgusting. The other kids were like "What? You've never had macaroni and cheese before?"
Old 01 October 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I guess what it comes down to is it may not be rude to ask but it's bloody rude to insist!
I'll agree with that one; at whatever kind of restaurant, and whatever the kind of food that's requested.
Old 01 October 2018, 06:08 PM

This was not a buffet, and no menu items include cheese or bread.
Old 01 October 2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'll agree with that one; at whatever kind of restaurant, and whatever the kind of food that's requested.
I'd add including a private home to this. I totally understand allergies and dietary concerns but if you are in someone's house you really can't expect to be catered to for this unless you've already discussed your issues with your host beforehand. Obviously no one should expect you to just go ahead and eat something you are allergic to or otherwise choose not to eat for whatever reasons but getting snotty because someone doesn't have acidophilus milk (or whatever) is not going to win you any friends.
Old 01 October 2018, 06:14 PM

The restaurant is a step up from buffet/carryout type places, and is an institution in the suburb where it's located -- been there for decades, run by the same family. The food it serves is not doubt Americanized, bu the menu doesn't include obviously non-Chinese items.
Old 01 October 2018, 06:17 PM

Were there even any parts of China where it was traditional to eat dairy products before European colonizing of Asia began? The only cultures I can think off off the top of my head that consumed dairy products are Mongolians (horse milk) and Tibet and Nepal (yak milk/butter).
Old 01 October 2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The restaurant is a step up from buffet/carryout type places, and is an institution in the suburb where it's located -- been there for decades, run by the same family. The food it serves is not doubt Americanized, bu the menu doesn't include obviously non-Chinese items.
If they've eaten there before no excuses but if they haven't I'd cut them some slack at least on the asking side of things. Doesn't hurt to ask. The insisting side of things, not so much!