snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 27 September 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Its a real commercial, it airs pretty regularly on comedy central online (there are a few 'versions' of it which are all this commercial but cut down depending on how long they have allotted (most of them start after the two women are at the counter and end after the taller woman fondles the golf balls).

-MB
Just because it is placed in a commercial time slot, does not necessary make it a commercial. Most likely it is a spoof Comedy Central made them selves or purchased from someone to insert some humor into the commercials. Axe may have approved of the use or there my be enough differences (ball wash vs body wash) that they could not do much about it. I would not think Axe would be allowed to miss represent their products as a ball wash and not be sued at some point. On the other hand Comedy Central could make a fake commercial for a non existent product call Axe Ball Wash and show it. It would not be the first time a cable company has made 30 second shorts to fit into the commercial spaces. I remember Cartoon Network doing it a lot when I was able to watch them, only with cartoon clips.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:03 PM

Since the video is available on the Axe website, where it is called an "instant classic" ad campaign, I'm guessing it is legit commercial paid for by the company.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:09 PM

OK, back to reality. I have a really huge ball sack. I'm an athlete and personal trainer, so I'm really well-equipped as far as. . . equipment. When I got here, I had to have my things tucked into a storage locker, so I hired some professionals to handle my stuff.

Stop snickering, I'm trying to be serious.

By the time the truck got to the U-haul facility, I was stressed and sleep deprived. I had to rent an extra locker becuase the contents of the moving van wouldn't fit into just one. I positioned myself in the hallway and directed traffic telling the movers which item should go into which locker. One of them (I guess he figured I could use a chuckle) came around the corner and asked "What should I do with this big sack of balls?"

True story.

- P
Old 27 September 2010, 08:47 PM

I've seen it several times, but I can't remember if it was on Comedy Central or Cartoon Network during "Adult Swim." I only saw the long version once, but the short version has been on just about every night.
Old 27 September 2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Since the video is available on the Axe website, where it is called an "instant classic" ad campaign, I'm guessing it is legit commercial paid for by the company.
Or it may be a collaboration between two or more companies for their mutual benefit. For example Comedy Central wanting to spoof an Axe commercial. So they first talk with Axe about it and the right to use their name. Axe likes it and agrees with some conditions. At least one of them being Axe has the rights to use what ever is made anyway they please. So Comedy Central pays for it get the use they want from it and Axe get something fun to put on their site for free.

It would not be the first time to companies have done things like this.

Being that It is on the Axe web site, I will have to agree at the minimum they approve and have the rights to use it. I do not see it as proof they made it unless something can be found that said they did.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:42 PM
moekosowl27

If a guy has to be told to wash them, he probably shouldn't be using them.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:52 PM

I finally saw this commercial on TV the other day. I was disturbed until the elderly gentleman hobbles out. I lost it. Thats was so funny to me forsome sick reason.
Old 27 September 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Just because it is placed in a commercial time slot, does not necessary make it a commercial. Most likely it is a spoof Comedy Central made them selves or purchased from someone to insert some humor into the commercials.
They'd be forgoing a lot of revenue what with only having one to two commercials during the breaks on their website's shows (and they have the same commercials each time).

But beyond all that I've seen it on regular television as well, its a real commercial (as I said most of the time its cut down but I do recall seeing the whole thing, maybe on Hulu (when you could watch one long commercial before a show and then have it be commercial free during).

-MB
Old 27 September 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I do not see it as proof they made it unless something can be found that said they did.
I think you are the one who should be looking for proof that they didn't make the commercial. It's an Axe commercial, and they have it on their own website. That's a good deal of evidence that it's their commercial.

What's your evidence that it's a spoof?

erwins
Old 28 September 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Being that It is on the Axe web site, I will have to agree at the minimum they approve and have the rights to use it. I do not see it as proof they made it unless something can be found that said they did.
I have not watched Comedy Central for YEARS. As others have said this before, I have seen this on other networks not affiliated with Comedy Central. That alone tells me that this is a legitimate commercial.

Plus it is in the same theme as their other commercials - playing up male sexiness via humor. It plays on double talk and humor - par for the course for Old Spice with their The man your man could smell like"
Old 28 September 2010, 08:33 PM
The Game

Saw it here in Canada and we most decidedly do not have Comedy Central.
Old 28 September 2010, 08:54 PM

Seriously? How do you watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report?
Old 28 September 2010, 09:03 PM

With all the innuedo and sexism going on in the commercial, I'm surprised there wasn't a guy with a pair of racquetballs sitting next to a shrewish looking woman.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:04 PM

Same as the rest of us that don't live in the US Mickey - we have excessively large telescopes and we watch it through your living room window, Oh you'd better lose the curtains after get out of the shower, or at least wrap a towel around yourself.
Old 28 September 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaDiddle View Post
"What should I do with this big sack of balls?"

True story.

- P
When we were moving last time, the big jokes of the day were asking "where do you want your [soccer] balls?" and "where do you want your caulk?" We determined the caulk should go in the basement with the balls.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:04 AM

I don't know why, but I get the feeling many of the snopesters don't believe Axe is capable of coming up with an ad campaign like this - a spoof of infomercials. You think it must be Comedy Central or some other outfit. Everything I've seen says it's Axe's production.

And did nobody notice "Monica Blake" is Jaime Pressly?

Last edited by Debunker; 29 September 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: fix sentence and typo
Old 29 September 2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
*Ahem*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Jamie Pressly from My Name is Earl is the ball-washer in this commercial.
Old 29 September 2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
I don't know why, but I get the feeling many of the snopesters don't believe Axe is capable of coming up with an ad campaign like this - a spoof of infomercials. You think it must be Comedy Central or some other outfit. Everything I've seen says it's Axe's production.

Im scratching my head about this too. When I saw this commercial, I thought that this was exactly what AXE has done before with some of their other commercials - use of sexual innuendo. I saw it and had no problem seeing it as a genuine commercial. Of course I am familiar with their other ads.
Old 29 September 2010, 04:24 AM
The Game

Quote:
The Comedy Network is the official carrier of it's web content in Canada. Which means if I want to catch official clips on the Net, I do it that way. However, the Comedy Network still shows it on TV.

CTV also carries both shows.

So we have two networks that carry it.
Old 29 September 2010, 04:36 AM

Axe (aka "Lynx" in Australia) is famous for it's sexist ads. It's interesting to note that the same company that owns Axe (Unilever) also owns "Dove", the brand famous for the "Evolution" campaign.

Quote:
Both of these excellent programs air on payTV on Comedy Channel and free-to-air ABC2 in Melbourne a few hours after they air in America. I try to watch them every night.

Last edited by damian; 29 September 2010 at 04:43 AM.