snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 March 2019, 07:47 AM

Richard, not only do we read the same newspaper (well, news-screen, at least in my case), we do like the same articles! I read that too and especially liked the part about all the trade agreements an independent UK would benefit from:
Quote:
By now, the leave camp promised everything would be sorted and we’d have all the trade deals ready to go the second after we leave the EU. Which is why it’s not the most reassuring thing when Liam Fox came out with a massive shit-eating grin to announce that he’s signed a deal with Liechtenstein, a country with a population roughly the size of Liechtenstein. Apologies if that doesn’t help clarify the size of Liechtenstein, but Liechtenstein is literally the go to example of somewhere as tiny as Liechtenstein. See the problem I’m having?
Old 21 March 2019, 12:58 PM

It was a very funny, very sad article. I like that there is someone in Parliament whose job seems to be to say "You can't do that". In the US, Congress gets to recreate many of the rules sort of at the power of the majority party, so there can be a fair amount of manipulation.
Old 22 March 2019, 05:25 AM

Default Europe offers Britain more time to resolve Brexit plan

The European Union on Thursday has grudgingly agreed to allow Britain to delay its exit from the EU, which was set to happen March 29 if no deal was approved. But the EU said British lawmakers could delay until May 22 if they could come with a deal by next week but if they couldn't, the exit will happen by April 12.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brexit-...al-2019-03-21/
Old 22 March 2019, 07:07 AM

So we do have a new date then - April 12th. I wonder what else we can mess up in two weeks.

(eta) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47660019

Quote:
In a press conference with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, European Council President Donald Tusk said that, until 12 April - by when the UK would have to indicate whether it would stand candidates in the 2019 European Parliament elections - "all options remain on the table ... the UK government will still have a chance of a deal, no deal, a long extension or revoking Article 50".

If the UK has not decided by 12 April whether to take part in the elections the "option of a long extension will automatically become impossible", he said.
Ah, so that's the significance of the 12th April - I'd wondered exactly when that cut-off was. That also makes 12th April the last day by which we could withdraw Article 50. The fact that Theresa May has been repeatedly saying that she's not going to withdraw Article 50 almost makes me think that we'll have withdrawn Article 50 by the end of the week... but if I ignore her, I still don't really think that's going to happen.

Last edited by Richard W; 22 March 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 22 March 2019, 11:54 AM

I am going to once again mention my idea of Ireland adsorbing the UK (except for maybe 10 Downing Street), and then maybe taking on the USA too, since we have proven that we can not rule ourselves.
Old 22 March 2019, 02:37 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I am going to once again mention my idea of Ireland adsorbing the UK (except for maybe 10 Downing Street), and then maybe taking on the USA too, since we have proven that we can not rule ourselves.
You expect Ireland to be a bastion of liberalism and good governance? True story: Ireland legalized same sex marriage and abortion after the US did.

European democracies are overrated.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:18 PM

Ireland's problem is that it's a bastion of Catholicism and the Catholic Church still has a lot of influence on the nation's politics.
Old 24 March 2019, 09:21 AM

There were a lot more people on yesterday's People's Vote march than the one in October (which was huge already), although nobody I spoke to seemed to think it was going to have any effect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-476...square-sped-up

There's a good video of the crowd on the link above - literally the entire route from Park Lane to Parliament Square is packed; the front of the march was filling Parliament Square before the back of the march had left Park Lane. We were nearer the back this time - at 2.45pm when that video was taken, we had only just reached the point at which we started last time... we were still in the crowd in Park Lane, about in the middle of the area you can see at the 11 second mark, I think. Last time, we reached Trafalgar Square before it became obvious that Whitehall was too packed to get further, so we left from there. This time we took over four hours to get as far as the corner of St James and Pall Mall (the open area at around 56 seconds, just past the big yellow Put It To The People sign), and Pall Mall where it narrows from that square was jammed solid and not moving, so a lot of people (including us) split off from there to avoid being stuck in the middle of an immobile crowd for another couple of hours. As far as I could see, the whole of St James's back to the corner with Piccadilly was still full of marchers at that point as well.

The "official" call is for a long extension and a second referendum, both of which would still be available if our MPs had any chance of getting their act together. There were quite a few just calling for Article 50 to be revoked forthwith, though. The mood wasn't quite as upbeat as last time but it was still friendly and cheerful enough.

Last edited by Richard W; 24 March 2019 at 09:26 AM.