snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 08 November 2007, 05:07 PM

United States Errors mar exhibit at Kentucky Capitol

Quote:
To some, an exhibit ordered to be displayed in the Kentucky Capitol might seem more hysterical than historical.

The display lists the official U.S. motto, "In God We Trust," as having been adopted on two days; really, it was just once, on July 30, 1956.

And a plaque about the national anthem and the particular flag that inspired it proudly states: "The new song and the flag became known as The Star Spangled Banner' and became a rallying cry for the American patriots during the Revolutionary War."

But Francis Scott Key didn't write "The Star Spangled Banner" until 1814, after a battle at Maryland's Fort McHenry.
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/art...108errors.html
Old 08 November 2007, 05:25 PM
Doug4.7

Icon09

I guess they cut the budget for the proofreader (and fact checker)....
Old 08 November 2007, 05:28 PM

From the article:

Quote:
Earlier this week he said the display was meant as a tool for teaching children civic literacy.
I think my irony meter just broke.

Nick
Old 08 November 2007, 05:41 PM

United States

Quote:
The exhibit in the Capitol is identical to existing displays in the Mercer and Rowan county courthouses. Mercer County Judge-Executive John Trisler said he was not aware of any inaccuracies with the display, which has been up for about six years in his central Kentucky county.
The motto adoption date I wouldn't have known, and that may have been a simple proofreading error. But the "Star-Spangled Banner" origins should be common knowledge among educated American adults. Or at the very least, among elected/appointed government officials.
Old 08 November 2007, 07:22 PM

Any time I hear "Kentucky Capitol" I remember how it was depicted in The Onion in the "news" item: The South Postpones Rising Again for Yet Another Year
Old 09 November 2007, 11:44 PM

United States Kentucky Capitol History Display Flub Fixed

A goof on a historical display at the Kentucky Capitol has been fixed.

Officials have deleted a reference to "The Star Spangled Banner" being used as a rallying cry during the American Revolution, decades before Francis Scott Key wrote the poem in 1814.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071109/D8SPV6SG0.html
Old 13 November 2007, 06:34 PM
Grand Illusion

United States

Workers at the Smithsonian* have commented on how often visitors believe that the McHenry flag is the Betsy Ross flag.

* Interviewed on The History Channel IIRC
Old 13 November 2007, 06:43 PM

Airplane

When I was at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in October, I noticed that the visitor guide had a name misspelled - the name of the person for whom the museum was named. When I pointed it out (in a friendly manner) to the tour guides, they were all amused and amazed that it hadn't been caught before.

Spell checkers are making things worse, teaching people that they don't need to know how to spell because a computer will think for them. Fight the revolution! Support your local copy editor!

Last edited by Buckle Up; 13 November 2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: correcting a typo!
Old 13 November 2007, 08:15 PM
Grand Illusion

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
Spell checkers are making things worse, teaching people that they don't need to know how to spell because a computer will think for them. Fight the revolution! Support your local copy editor!
A little OT, but once, I was on a writer's board used mostly by inexperienced, optimistic, unpublished writers. I was giving advice to a newbie amounting to "pay an editor to redline your book." I got one reply that said, "Never pay someone to read your book; people should be paying YOU to read it! Just run it through the spell and grammar checker and it's ready to go out the door."
Old 13 November 2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Illusion View Post
A little OT, but once, I was on a writer's board used mostly by inexperienced, optimistic, unpublished writers. I was giving advice to a newbie amounting to "pay an editor to redline your book." I got one reply that said, "Never pay someone to read your book; people should be paying YOU to read it! Just run it through the spell and grammar checker and it's ready to go out the door."
Yes, that's a one door full idea. Eye entrust my pub leashing car ear to the Microsoft corporation, and/oar whoever used the come pewter before eye did and decided witch words whirr acceptable and witch words whirr knot.

Sigh. Well, this thread has given me hope, and made me realize I am not alone in my quest.