snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 09 April 2015, 04:04 PM

Default DirecTV told to pull Rob Lowe ads after Comcast complains

Here's some good news for everyone who hated those "hilarious" Rob Lowe DirecTV ads...

Quote:
Following a Comcast (CMCSA) complaint, the Better Business Bureau this week recommended that DirecTV (DTV) discontinue its hilarious ad campaign featuring actor Rob Lowe, because the satellite TV company couldn't substantiate many of the claims made in the commercials.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/08/medi...ast/index.html
Old 09 April 2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
In a statement, the company said it "continues to believe that the various Rob Lowe advertisements are so outlandish and exaggerated that no reasonable consumer would believe that the statements being made by the alter-ego characters are comparative or need to be substantiated."
Wait, is DirecTV actually admitting that people should realize their ads are a load of bull?
Old 09 April 2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
In a statement, the company said it "continues to believe that the various Rob Lowe advertisements are so outlandish and exaggerated that no reasonable consumer would believe that the statements being made by the alter-ego characters are comparative or need to be substantiated."
Ah, the Michael Moore defense. "It's HUMOR, people!"

'k

~Psihala
Old 09 April 2015, 04:47 PM

I, uh... I actually like those ads. I find them amusing, and as a Verizon customer, I'm not paying any attention to the product being advertised.

Motel room surgery. Heh heh.
Old 09 April 2015, 05:08 PM

I was expecting the claims to actually BE comical and exaggerated, like "DirecTV can redecorate your house and transport it to a tropical beach," or something. But based on the ones shown in that report, I would hardly have guessed that "shows more sports than cable" was supposed to be an absurd claim to make about a TV service that I assume shows sport.

As crocoduck_hunter said, the only way that would be an absurd and outlandish claim to make about a TV service is if everybody knew, and expected, it to be total crap in the first place. Or, at a pinch, if they were making the claim about a cookery channel that everybody knew didn't show sport at all, or something like that.
Old 09 April 2015, 05:43 PM

Yeah, the Rob Lowe comparisons are outlandish and exaggerated. The DirecTV vs. cable comparisons aren't.
Old 09 April 2015, 05:45 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I was expecting the claims to actually BE comical and exaggerated, like "DirecTV can redecorate your house and transport it to a tropical beach," or something. But based on the ones shown in that report, I would hardly have guessed that "shows more sports than cable" was supposed to be an absurd claim to make about a TV service that I assume shows sport.
I can't remember how the sports one was set up, but the "better picture and sound" one went something like this:

Normal Rob Lowe: "DirecTV offers amazing picture and sound."
[cut to alter-ego Rob Lowe watching an obsolete CRT television]
Alter-ego Rob Lowe: "With cable I get... uhhh... a picture, and some sound."

So I suppose the claim they're saying is "comical and exaggerated" would be that no one really believes cable's picture and sound are that bad, while Comcast would argue that there's no evidence to substantiate that DirecTV's picture and sound are superior to cable at all.

ETA:
Quote:
The Federal Trade Commission ruled in March that the satellite company failed to make it clear that its $19.95-a-month plan requires two-year contract is required
I see that the Department of Redundancy Department is doing their job as well.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 09 April 2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09 April 2015, 11:17 PM

That's fine with me. I found them somewhat annoying.
Old 10 April 2015, 02:18 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I, uh... I actually like those ads. I find them amusing, and as a Verizon customer, I'm not paying any attention to the product being advertised.

I find them funny as well. Apparently these commercials have their humor targeted to Rhode Islanders only.
Old 10 April 2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
I find them funny as well. Apparently these commercials have their humor targeted to Rhode Islanders only.
So, really, we're privileged!

But now I feel bad for the underprivileged, some of whom are posting in this very forum.

Is there anything we can do to help, do you think?
Old 10 April 2015, 11:27 AM

Throw Tomato

Now will Direct TV complain about how patronizing Comcast's ads are? This could get interesting.
Old 10 April 2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Apparently not, I find them funny, too.
Old 10 April 2015, 01:16 PM

I too find them amusing, and I can't say that about too many commercials.
Old 10 April 2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Wait, is DirecTV actually admitting that people should realize their ads are a load of bull?
Wait, there were actual claims about the product in those ads?

Ok, I know they did make some claims about performance, but all I remember from any of them basically seemed to boil down to "Here's [bad-role-model] Rob Lowe, who is a fictional character we just made up. He has cable (well, actually not, because he's fictional, but we say he has cable). [Bad-role-model] Rob Lowe makes bad choices (because we say so), therefore, real-life cable is the inferior option." It's about as convincing as saying that rings are evil because Sauron had one...Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Onyx "I've got no rings, to turn me evil" TKD
Old 10 April 2015, 05:46 PM

I just thought it was funny that a company would try falling back on what's essentially a defense of "we didn't actually expect you to believe our advertising campaign of being better than our competitor."
Old 10 April 2015, 06:30 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I just thought it was funny that a company would try falling back on what's essentially a defense of "we didn't actually expect you to believe our advertising campaign of being better than our competitor."
Actually, that defense is what protects them from a claim of libel. It's obviously "mere puffery" and thus not actionable.

I'm a little irked by the article headline, as it implies that an agency (such as the FCC) told them they had to pull the ads, as opposed to an independent consumer organization recommending that they pull them.

Seaboe
Old 10 April 2015, 06:56 PM

Yeah, see, I've never understood that. I mean, obviously the ad campaign is trying to get consumers to think that DirecTV is better than its competitor.
Old 10 April 2015, 08:23 PM

Well, there's mere puffery, and there are substantive claims that they would have to be able to back up. I seem to recall that one of the ads says or implies that there are fewer outages with DirecTV than with cable. Depending on how it's phrased, it could be a substantive claim and not mere puffery.
Old 11 April 2015, 06:24 PM

Yea, DirectTvs defense (as it is)essentilly boils down to "We aren't making actual provable claims and no reasonable person would think that". Basically, "you not getting humor isn't our fault". It isn't the same as saying our ads are BS - what the Rob Lowe ads are (accoring to Direct TV) are ore awareness ads where they more or less "we rule and they drool" type comercials.

The commission in question disagrees and says that they are making non susbtanintive claims and told them they should pull them. I don't know how much legal (or any) weight that has though
Old 11 April 2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Well, there's mere puffery, and there are substantive claims that they would have to be able to back up. I seem to recall that one of the ads says or implies that there are fewer outages with DirecTV than with cable. Depending on how it's phrased, it could be a substantive claim and not mere puffery.
I'm with you on that one. I've never had satellite but worked at many restaurants that did. At the first raindrop they often lost signal on the TVs. I remember the cable going out in the 90s when I was a teen but haven't had that problem in years and we do have cable for our Internet & TV. Don't get me wrong, I still hate Comcast, even though I use them, but can't argue the point that they are the most reliable game in town, even if they overcharge you.