snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 January 2019, 11:47 PM

Icon105 Is It Time to Kiss This In-Arena Stunt Goodbye?

For more than three decades, kiss cams have been seen as a lighthearted, silly part of the sports fan experience. But in our current cultural environment, the gimmick raises questions about inclusiveness, pressure, and consent.

https://www.theringer.com/sports/201...s-cams-in-2019
Old 11 January 2019, 12:38 AM

Kiss-cams raise all sorts of questions, really. I don't think it's a great thing to pressure strangers into PDAs.
Old 11 January 2019, 12:46 AM

I think it' time to retire the practice.

Adding my own $0.02 worth, it's been several years since I've attended a stick and ball sport at one of the local venues, so I have no idea if the local teams here still do this.

I do remember a baseball game at the old Metrodome a few years ago, where I witnessed an incident very similar to one described in the piece. The Kiss Kam settled on a couple, who didn't kiss. A few hands appeared, trying to shove the two faces together. It was clear (To me, at least,) that the woman involved wanted nothing to do with it, as she start shoving the hands away from her, to the sound of boos from the crowd.
Old 11 January 2019, 01:08 AM

Yeah, that right there is reason enough to get rid of it.
Old 11 January 2019, 01:36 AM

Military

PC run amok if you ask me. Next thing you know, someone is going to tell me I can’t go around randomly grabbing women—and men (I’m not a total dinosaur)—kissing them, and then chucking them aside.

I’m a sailor, dammit. It’s not sexual assault, it's traditional!

ETA: Random thought based on actual content from the article:
Quote:
A decade later, Shprintzen says he doesn’t remember anything else about the game—not who won, not who pitched, not who made the best play.
That’s because baseball is boring. No one remembers. I went to a game once, couldn’t have been more than five because it was a Tigers home game and my family left Michigan when I was five, and all I remember is that it was a long ass walk getting from the parking lot to the stadium and I couldn’t tell what was going on from the cheap seats. But then that would have been 99.99% true even from the from front row. Baseball is boring.

Last edited by ASL; 11 January 2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11 January 2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Baseball is boring.
Old 11 January 2019, 03:29 AM

Yes, it is boring in the same way that all great games are boring: Chess, Go, Curling, Biliards... If you don't understand them, they're all boring.

(Obligatory comment on the OP: Yes, please get rid of it!)
Old 11 January 2019, 03:58 AM

Or just, if you don't find them interesting, they're boring. I like baseball and soccer, which often get called boring, but I find them interesting. I used to like basketball for a while, and found it interesting, at least to watch my team. But, I lost interest, and now I find it boring. It isn't because I don't understand it, it's just because I lost interest. Some who find it boring don't understand it, and might find it interesting if they did, but for others, more knowledge wouldn't/doesn't make a difference.
Old 11 January 2019, 08:39 AM

For the record, I didn't say "if you understand them they aren't boring". There may be plenty of people who understand them who nevertheless have no interest.
Old 11 January 2019, 09:56 AM

That's true. Sorry to have misconstrued your post.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:01 PM

I'm glag the article addressed the "joke" of showing two opposing players (or two male fans in opposing team clothing) as part of the kiss cam. That's the part that bothered me about it as it continues the idea that being male and gay is something to insult people with.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:58 PM

Icon106

Quote:
P
it's traditional!

TRA-DIT-ION!
Old 11 January 2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
ETA: Random thought based on actual content from the article:

Quote:
A decade later, Shprintzen says he doesn’t remember anything else about the game—not who won, not who pitched, not who made the best play.
That’s because baseball is boring. No one remembers. I went to a game once, couldn’t have been more than five because it was a Tigers home game and my family left Michigan when I was five, and all I remember is that it was a long ass walk getting from the parking lot to the stadium and I couldn’t tell what was going on from the cheap seats. But then that would have been 99.99% true even from the from front row. Baseball is boring.
My elementary school took us on semi-annual trips to see the local AAA team. It's not much of an exaggeration to say the only things I remember are the entire school walking to the subway station and a rain delay. I've been back a few times as an adult, and while I do find the games entertaining now, it's still nowhere near as memorable as hockey or football.

On the main topic - I recently attended my first NWHL* game, which while it did have many NHL-style forms of in game entertainment, did not have a kiss cam. I can't say I noticed its absence until seeing this thread, nor do I feel slighted by its absence now.

* National Women's Hockey League.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:37 PM

Icon105

To my admittedly pretty limited experience, the Seattle baseball and football teams have never done this, at least at any games I've attended. Can't speak for the other local sports teams.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:53 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
TRA-DIT-ION!
The Nolan brothers—who are proper British folk, mind you—disagree:

Eureka!

I could swear Mister Banks, of Mary Poppins says the same, but I couldn’t find a clip to be sure and you never can trust quotes.

Wouldn’t it be "a tradition" if I were to go with the noun form, vice the adjective?
Old 11 January 2019, 07:41 PM

Sorry, but the Nolan brothers' opinion on how to say the word only matters if they're standing on a roof holding fiddles.
Old 11 January 2019, 10:14 PM

“It’s traditional” is perfectly correct as a stand alone, much like saying “it’s ugly.” But, with added time to consider, I can see how tradition, the noun, works better in context given the preceding clause. Not incorrect either way IMHO, but using the noun more strongly links the two clauses.

I do hope I’ve used “clause” correctly here. I’m afraid English is my only language.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:28 AM

Read This!

Quote:
Iím afraid English is my only language.
A relative got a degree in teaching ESL (English as a Second Language, if you didn't know). And as a result, I must admit, whenever i've seen you post, I think... "A______ as a Second Language? Which one is it?"
Old 12 January 2019, 12:54 AM

These days I think it's often called EAL anyway (English as an Additional Language, rather than Second) - because many of those who speak English for international purposes were fluent or proficient in more than one other language before they learned English.

... So I have no idea which other language ASL might speak (other than the obvious, American Sign Language - does one "speak" that?), but I do sometimes wonder what language UEL is talking in. Canadian, I think. I've met him enough times...
Old 12 January 2019, 01:00 AM

Witch

The ASL screen name has a long and storied past. It rivals the origins for the Mr. Sparkle logo in terms of convolutedness, which famously resembles Homer Simpson's head, but only coincidentally.