snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 22 November 2018, 02:46 PM

Default U.S. man likely killed trying to bring Christianity to remote tribe

The first time American John Allen Chau visited the isolated island in the seas between India and Southeast Asia, he came bearing gifts that included a football and fish. He interacted with some of the tribesmen -- who survive by hunting, fishing and collecting wild plants and are known for attacking anyone who comes near with bows and arrows and spears -- until they became angry and shot an arrow at him.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...an-missionary/
Old 22 November 2018, 04:09 PM

This story points out that one of the reasons such attempts at contact are illegal is that

Quote:
the entire tribe could be wiped out by diseases to which they have no immunity
Chau had no business trying to force his religion on people who he might well have killed in the process. He shouldn't have been there.
Old 23 November 2018, 05:36 PM

I'm getting sick of all the news stories trying to spin this guy as heroic.

There was nothing great or noble about what he was doing, he was an idiot with a Mighty Whitey complex who went to a place he had no business being and knew he wasn't supposed to go there. This is Tim Treadwell level stupidity.
Old 23 November 2018, 06:08 PM

Frying Pan

TL, I think that’s the most important point in all of this, and is what helps me to be satisfied with knowing there will almost certainly be no attempt to prosecute or seek any sort of redress for this killing (at least not by the Indian government—I do worry what sort of hissy fit Trump might throw over this). Whether the tribespeople knew it or not, this killing essentially amounts to self-defense. It makes what might otherwise be an over the top response to trespassing more akin to a legitimate effort to repulse an invasion.

It’s sad that this guy died (in the very general "we're supposed to feel sad when people die, even if we really don’t" sense), but, yeah, he’s dead because he was an idiot. He should serve as a cautionary tale, not a source of inspiration.
Old 23 November 2018, 11:00 PM

Another thing the continued calling of this tribe as "uncontacted."

The tribe has had contact with outsiders on numerous occasions, the first being when a rather deranged Englishman went to the islands in 1880 to "pacify" them. He had a strange obsession with posing men from the islands in Greek homoerotic scenes so he could photograph them. More here.
Old 24 November 2018, 03:43 AM

Mouse

Iím totally on Team Leave The Islanders Alone. In the wake of events like these, I cross my fingers and pray harder. If they want to join the modern world, let them do so on their own terms, rather than have it forced on them. The Islanders have made it perfectly clear that they are not interested, so leave them alone.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:32 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

Chau had no business trying to force his religion on people who he might well have killed in the process. He shouldn't have been there.

I could not agree more. What part of Leave Us Alone! is not understood?

I've always thought that if someone wanted to ask me about my faith, I'd tell him, but there's no way I'm going to approach someone in, say, the Target (I actually saw someone do that sometime ago) and talk to them about Jesus.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:49 PM

Glasses

My mother told me she regretted that no one ever asked me in her hearing if I'd found Jesus, after I told her my answer to such a question would be "I never lost him."

Now I think a better answer would be "Why, did you lose him?"

Seaboe
Old 26 November 2018, 04:18 PM

I like that. I hope I can remember it.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:11 PM

"Have you found Jesus?"

"My god, is he missing? Do we need an Amber Alert?"
Old 26 November 2018, 07:24 PM

Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I could not agree more. What part of Leave Us Alone! is not understood?
In his (very limited, tongue-in cheek) defense, these people are going to burn in hell (forever and ever) according to certain varieties of Christianity, unless some kind soul risks his life to bring them out of darkness (hellfire is uncharacteristically dark for as hot-burning as it is). A loving god, one who wants to have a relationship with you, needs you to know it first before he can save you from the eternal punishment he devised. According to certain varieties of Christianity
Old 26 November 2018, 07:58 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
"Have you found Jesus?"

"My god, is he missing? Do we need an Amber Alert?"
At his age, it would be a Silver Alert.
Old 26 November 2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
In his (very limited, tongue-in cheek) defense, these people are going to burn in hell (forever and ever) according to certain varieties of Christianity, unless some kind soul risks his life to bring them out of darkness (hellfire is uncharacteristically dark for as hot-burning as it is). A loving god, one who wants to have a relationship with you, needs you to know it first before he can save you from the eternal punishment he devised. According to certain varieties of Christianity
Yeah, I'm a little more tolerant of some varieties of proselytizing than many people I know, because I reason that if I really, sincerely, on a gut level, believed that anyone who didn't accept Jesus was headed towards eternal damnation -- God, how could I not try to save as many people as I could from that?

Personally, I kind of turn that on its head: I find I can't believe in (let alone revere) a deity who would do that to anyone, much less to people whose only crime was not believing. (I don't think even Hitler deserves infinite punishment.) Frankly, the more I consider the possibility of an omniscient and omnipotent deity, the more I think I would despise him (or her), for allowing so much suffering to exist.
Old 26 November 2018, 08:58 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Personally, I kind of turn that on its head: I find I can't believe in (let alone revere) a deity who would do that to anyone, much less to people whose only crime was not believing.
Yes, that’s a twist that some proselytizers can’t seem to wrap their heads around: it goes flying right off the track and over heads. Even if you were to convince me that your god exists, as described, I wouldn’t consider him worthy of worship. So now what, mister missionary?

I mean, I’m convinced Trump exists, wants to be adored by all, and is pretty darn powerful (even important, as I’ve argued before), but should I now worship him accordingly, on the strength of those attributes alone?
Old 26 November 2018, 09:31 PM

You're not supposed to worship that kind of god out of respect, you're supposed to worship out of fear.

ETA: Same for Trump.
Old 26 November 2018, 09:45 PM

Yeah, but I'm afraid "defying bullies" is pretty deeply ingrained in my psyche. (There are many activities I avoid due to fear, being an insecure person -- but if someone actually threatens me, anger takes over.) So...oh well.
Old 26 November 2018, 09:55 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
You're not supposed to worship that kind of god out of respect, you're supposed to worship out of fear.
And that’s why I sort of get the Puritans and the whole "sinners in the hands of an angry god" shtick. Tell me god hates me, would like nothing more than to see me and everyone I know burn in hell, but for reasons beyond my control permit some of us to be spared through a divine act of grace that only he can comprehend, but please—oh please!—don’t tell me he loves me and wants to have a relationship with me or anything like that.
Old 26 November 2018, 09:59 PM

Then it sounds like Sithrak is the god for you!

Be careful if you Google search for more information on Sithrak. The webcomic that created him (Oglaf . com ) is very, very NSFW.
Old 26 November 2018, 10:42 PM

Skull

I skimmed a few sources. The mythos seems a bit convoluted. What kind of god would allow that?
Old 26 November 2018, 11:00 PM

A god that hates you no matter what you do or how good or bad you are. I find that lack of responsibility liberating.