snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 27 October 2018, 05:36 PM

Default Suspect In Custody After Multiple Casualties In Shooting At Pittsburgh Synagogue

Suspect In Custody After Multiple Casualties In Shooting At Pittsburgh Synagogue

I have relatives in the general area, who do attend synagogue but I'm not sure which one; but have heard from them that they're OK.
Old 27 October 2018, 05:57 PM

I'm glad your relatives are okay. Other than that, I'm mute with rage.
Old 27 October 2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
"We must all pray and hope for no more loss of life," Wolf said. "But we have been saying 'this one is too many' for far too long. Dangerous weapons are putting our citizens in harm's way."
"It's too soon..."

~Psihala
Old 27 October 2018, 06:29 PM

Baseball

I posted something like this on FB and Twitter as I was learning about it:

Quote:
I just read a report that the mass shooting at the synagogue in Pittsburgh today was by a Trump supporter who blamed the Jews for the migrant caravan.

I am waiting for Mitch McConnell to compare this shooting to the President's caravan getting the finger.

After all, equivalency is where it is at nowadays.
However, I have also read a report in the past few minutes that says this guy did not like Trump because he was soft on Jews.

This is an ugly situation, and will only get uglier. Saw a GOP candidate for Congress in California pull down his Twitter tweet calling for the people to stop Soros, Bloomberg (and some other Jewish billionaire) from buying the election.

It is not even dog whistling any more. It is outright semaphore.
Old 27 October 2018, 06:41 PM

Default Trump laments 'hate in our country' after synagogue murders, says armed guards would

Trump laments 'hate in our country' after synagogue murders, says armed guards would have helped

President Donald Trump lamented the "hate in our country" after the killing of at least eight people in a shooting rampage at a Pittsburgh synagogue Saturday and asserted that better security at the temple could have prevented the massacre.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-armed-n925216

(*Not even going to bother editing the headline... ~Psihala)

Last edited by Psihala; 27 October 2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: It's a headline, Psihala... not the OP topic title
Old 27 October 2018, 07:14 PM

He also called for increased use of the death penalty. Yeah, because the guys who go on shooting rampages always expect to survive and always carefully weigh the consequences of their behavior before acting, right?
Old 27 October 2018, 08:12 PM

Kindly imagine this statement in extremely large print, bold, italics, with about three thousand exclamation points:

We should not need armed guards to go to synagogue. Or to church. Or to school. Or to the fill-in-expletives-here grocery store!
Old 27 October 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
better security at the temple could have prevented the massacre.
Dark humor: The only thing that will stop a bad goy with a gun is a good goy with a gun.
Old 27 October 2018, 10:52 PM

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect threatened Jewish groups, pushed migrant caravan conspiracies

Robert Bowers, the Pennsylvania man accused of a fatal shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue Saturday morning, posted prolifically online about conspiracy theories and made repeated threats to Jews.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...aravan-n925256
Old 28 October 2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I posted something like this on FB and Twitter as I was learning about it:

However, I have also read a report in the past few minutes that says this guy did not like Trump because he was soft on Jews.

This is an ugly situation, and will only get uglier. Saw a GOP candidate for Congress in California pull down his Twitter tweet calling for the people to stop Soros, Bloomberg (and some other Jewish billionaire) from buying the election.

The Republican Party seems to have abandoned any pretense of not being by and for bloodthirsty racists.
Old 28 October 2018, 01:20 AM

My father was in the 8th Armored Division during WWII. They liberated one concentration camp during the war and their unit flag is displayed in the Holocaust Museum. Because of this (and because my parents are genuinely very nice people) they are accepted at the Jewish Community Center to use the swimming pool. Mom has said that there is usually at least 1 armed guard there at all times. Trump says that an armed guard would have prevented this shooting. I think the news will eventually come out that there was an armed guard. Trump will not mention this.
Old 28 October 2018, 09:16 AM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Emphasis mine.
Quote:
Bowers frequently wrote on the social network Gab, where he made a specific threat against Jews hours before allegedly conducting Saturday's attack.

In the post, Bowers said that the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, a humanitarian aid nonprofit group that provides assistance to refugees, brought immigrants to the United States to do violence against others.

"Screw your optics, I'm going in," he wrote.
"Social media site Gab kicked off hosting platform in wake of Pittsburgh shooting" Global News 28 October 2018
Quote:
Gab, the website on which alleged Pittsburgh synagogue shooter Robert Bowers posted anti-Semitic comments, announced late Saturday night it was being denied hosting services.

{ snip }

Joyent pulled Gab from their hosting service after Paypal said earlier that Gab was banned from using the company's money sending services.
I wish Joyent and PayPal had taken action earlier as Apple and Google had but at least they're finally doing something against that loathsome site.

Brian
Old 28 October 2018, 03:35 PM

Why would they? This way they get money and get to paint themselves as being socially conscious for eventually disassociating themselves from the site.
Old 28 October 2018, 05:40 PM

'Now we know it can happen here, and that here is anywhere'

Quote:
We knew it could happen here — any here, anywhere — when we learned that nine people were killed three years ago in the historic Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C. We knew it could happen here — any here, anywhere — when we learned that six were killed in the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City last year.
[ . . .]
we now know what it means when anywhere is right here.
We should have known it could happen anywhere since at least the 1930's.

But that's still a powerful article.
Old 28 October 2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
My father was in the 8th Armored Division during WWII. They liberated one concentration camp during the war and their unit flag is displayed in the Holocaust Museum. Because of this (and because my parents are genuinely very nice people) they are accepted at the Jewish Community Center to use the swimming pool. Mom has said that there is usually at least 1 armed guard there at all times. Trump says that an armed guard would have prevented this shooting. I think the news will eventually come out that there was an armed guard. Trump will not mention this.
From what I've read, they did increase security at that temple on the high holy days, but not for regular weekly services.

I can say that, back in the eighties, I used to do a delivery route in West LA. This was in the pre-9/11 days, so security at most of the office buildings was fairly lax. There were two types of places that were exceptions. At least one was this completely non-descript building with no signage that looked half-abandoned, but where, I believe, they worked with precious metals and gemstones: security there was quite tight -- I had to buzz to get into a foyer, and pass the delivery through a double-door 'airlock' delivery portal. The other were a couple of Hebrew religious schools. Granted, it was a very upscale area, but security looked more like what you would expect at some kind of tech firm doing classified work. Obviously, it was felt there was a significant threat even then.

I myself think it's outrageous that we live in a country where armed guards are thought to be a necessity at a school or house of worship -- but I can't really be critical of any facility that decides to employ them.
Old 28 October 2018, 08:48 PM

You weren't delivering for Brent's Deli by any chance, were you?

In related news:
Trump falsely says NYSE opened day after Sept. 11 attacks to justify holding rally after Pittsburgh shooting
Quote:
"And with what happened early today -- that horrible, horrible attack in Pittsburgh -- I was saying maybe I should cancel both this and that," Trump said, referring to the rally and his earlier appearance at the agricultural convention. "And then I said to myself, I remember Dick Grasso, a friend of mine, great guy. He headed up the New York Stock Exchange on September 11. And the New York Stock Exchange was open the following day. He said -- and what they had to do to open it you wouldn't believe. We won't even talk to you about it. But he got that exchange open."
Old 28 October 2018, 09:18 PM

It wouldn't do to disappoint his adoring fans.

~Psihala
Old 29 October 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
You weren't delivering for Brent's Deli by any chance, were you?
Nope. ADP. Payroll and related products,
Old 29 October 2018, 02:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

It sadly seems to be the case. I’m not sure which is worse the naked bigotry or the fact that there are probably still mealymouthed lukewarm Republicans who think that all this bigotry is so unseemly, but won’t say anything because it’s more important to oppose everything that Obama supports and support whatever he opposes.

The hottest corners of Hell are reserved for those who, in a moral crisis, maintain their neutrality. Honestly when pressed, I find the lukewarm ones more irritating. The bigots are horrible people who should DIAF, but at least they’re honest. I probably shouldn’t take advice from 80s cartoons because they pretty much existed to sell toys, but I totally support the idea of “Better an honest enemy than a false friend.”

Again, it’s not like the GOP is absolutely helpless and unable to stop Neo-Nazis from running for office under their banner. They could kick the NFBSKers out of the party, be like, “You can run for political office because that’s your right as a citizen, but not as a Republican. Join some other group, because like Hell, will we have you represent us.” It’s not like politicians haven’t been kicked out of their own party before.

Even if they can’t just straight-up kick someone out of the party, the GOP could do whatever they could to keep Neo-Nazi candidates from accessing party funds. Or if nothing else, just loudly denounce them over and over any time or chance they can. For the record, when I talk about denouncing, I mean a John Dean-type where he was willing to put his career and freedom on the line to stop Richard Nixon, not the Jeff Flake kind where he waits until he no longer has to worry about reelection.

But they don’t do any of this.

Hopefully all this will backfire spectacularly and Trump and co. will be run out on a rail. But if the GOP somehow manages to exist even after all that*, it’s important that we never let them off the hook. If Trump becomes too great a political liability, they will probably jump ship, try to distance themselves, and claim that they totally opposed him all along, much in the way they claim they totally supported Martin Luther King all along.

We must refuse to go along with that BS, never let them forget that Trump is one of them and they nurtured and enabled him every step of the way. Trump is the culmination of decades-worth of GOP trends. At any point from 1965 on, the GOP could have put a stop to the Southern Strategy BS, but they didn’t and they should have to pay the price for it.

*I assume that the party would still exist; it would just reform under a new name if the Republicans is just too hated. Might I suggest that they call themselves “The Whigs?”
Old 29 October 2018, 04:08 PM

Gab took it's site down in a deviously clever plan to thwart the media... really!

Gab.com is taken down after Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Quote:
A social media site popular with far-right extremists and where the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect had a profile has been taken down. In a tweet early Monday morning, Gab.com claimed it willfully took the site down, saying it was a preemptive move to thwart the media.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pittsbu...ay-2018-10-29/