snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 22 August 2018, 03:28 PM

Roll eyes Nabisco redesigns its Barnum's Animal Crackers box

PETA requested the change and while I admit that the redesign looks good, to me it shows how ridiculous PETA is. Like I needed to be told that.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:16 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Those fools, there are now millions of lions and polar bears roaming free! How soon will it be until there are maimed children all over?
Old 22 August 2018, 04:18 PM

Whalephant

The new design is nice and respectful of the original, but I will still miss the circus train design. When I was a kid there were several different designs in different colors, and you could cut out the lower half of the wheels from the bottom of the boxes and make a long circus train.

Around 1980, there was a brief attempt to modernize the box with a cartoony, somewhat psychedelic 1960s look. (I can't find an example on line.) A college classmate was bummed, assuming the change would be permanent. "At least they kept the string handle," he said, "If they got rid of that, this wouldn't be America any more."

I now notice the string was already removed before the current redesign. I guess he was right.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Those fools, there are now millions of lions and polar bears roaming free! How soon will it be until there are maimed children all over?
The polar bears could still be caged. The new design doesn't show them free. (I assume they removed them and added the zebra so the animals were show in their natural habitat.)

Also, none of them have any heads, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:29 PM

They might just be planning on the future, for when the polar bears are extinct.

And i have always been a legs first type, myself.
Old 22 August 2018, 05:21 PM

PETA is going after the BBC next, according to the Onion.
Old 22 August 2018, 05:35 PM

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The polar bears could still be caged. The new design doesn't show them free. (I assume they removed them and added the zebra so the animals were show in their natural habitat.)
Except the gorilla isn't shown in its natural habitat, which kind of annoys me. Gorillas live in forests, not grasslands.
Old 22 August 2018, 06:15 PM

He's on a safari vacation.

I thought about adding something like "in their natural habitat or closer to it than a polar bear on a savanna would be" but figured that would be too long.
Old 22 August 2018, 07:33 PM

Mister Ed

Generations of children will now be traumatized when they see their first "lion mauls a zebra" video or a video of an elephant throwing a lion in the air...

"But I thought all the animals lived and worked together like in Zootopia or Madagascar!"

Old 23 August 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
PETA requested the change and while I admit that the redesign looks good, to me it shows how ridiculous PETA is. Like I needed to be told that.
It's a simple redesign that is more aligned to modern attitudes towards animals. Circuses were cruel places for the performing animals and a depiction of happy circus animals is normalising that cruelty. To me it's not ridiculous to remove the association with animal abuse from a box of crackers.

What else shouldn't be changed just because we already know it's wrong? There's still a bit of old-timey racist branding around... should we just ignore that too?
Old 23 August 2018, 01:52 PM

Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Circuses were cruel places for the performing animals and a depiction of happy circus animals is normalising that cruelty.
I will remain neutral on the subject myself, but I believe many would argue that not all circuses with animals were/are cruel to them.
BTW the name of the product is Barnum's Animals. I'm sure Mr. Barnum and some of his successors were less than loving to the animals in their shows, but I doubt Nabisco plans to change the name.
Old 23 August 2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I will remain neutral on the subject myself, but I believe many would argue that not all circuses with animals were/are cruel to them.
This is true, but the images depicted on the boxes show hallmarks of that cruelty- small cages with nothing for the animal to do but pace in tight circles and go cage-crazy. Sure, you could argue they are just on a train and will be let out of the cages once they reach their destination, but that is not what is particularly depicted on the boxes.

So on the one hand, I agree it's a bit silly to change a classic theme (and I think PETA are of the bad-news is better than no-news school of thought); however, the change isn't harming anyone, still looks cute (though I loved the baby animals- maybe they could do some varied packaging so each box has a critter with its baby), and might prompt somebody to do a little investigating and learn about the history of animal cruelty in circuses. I don't think the average person would then rush out and donate a bunch of money to an animal sanctuary, but it's these kinds of small things that can add up over time to somebody making a lifestyle change or becoming an advocate for a cause.

mmv, of course.
Old 23 August 2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post

Also, none of them have any heads, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.
Not enough space on the box to show a bear in its natural habitat....a Studebaker.
Old 23 August 2018, 03:02 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
This is true, but the images depicted on the boxes show hallmarks of that cruelty- small cages with nothing for the animal to do but pace in tight circles and go cage-crazy...
That depiction, is how the animals were transported, not how they lived their lives. Circus animals were commonly well loved and cared for.

If you were to visit the winter grounds or a circus you would find most larger enclosures for all animals. This being the majority of their lives. Even while on the road, they would have much more space and chance for exercise and enrichment. Animal trainers are often deeply bonded with their animals.

Its certainly not the best situation for live animals, but it generally wasn't the cruelty, neglect and abuse that it is often depicted.
Old 23 August 2018, 03:16 PM

Teaches me to post before I'm fully awake. I was envisioning the small zoo enclosures of yesteryear rather than circuses.
Old 23 August 2018, 05:03 PM

Ringling Brothers used to have their winter quarters here (city made a huge mistake in chasing them off in my opinion).

One day while driving to the beach one of the circus workers was driving a tractor with several travel cages towed behind. Each had a tiger or lion.

Another worker asked what he was doing.

"The cats wanted some fresh air so I thought I'd take them for a ride."

They did seem to be enjoying the trip as they were sniffing at the air.

I had a client that was from a circus family. He and his brother gave pedicures to the elephants. From what he said the animals were all loved and well cared for. He explained that it was the only way to get the animals to behave.

Of course he was a circus employee so...

The employees on the other hand stayed on the circus train which was parked in a field. There was no privacy in the cramped quarters and there were reports of abuse. Having seen the conditions first hand I would certainly not want to live there even for the few months they were in town.

The big acts owned houses in the area. A friend bought a house owned by Gunther Gebel-Williams. It had a huge lion painted on the garage door. He would give directions to his house ending with, "just look for the big [cat]."

Photo "What happened to all the animal cracker babies?" Bob

Last edited by Photo Bob; 23 August 2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Tpyos
Old 23 August 2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Photo "What happened to all the animal cracker babies?" Bob
They were separated at the border and are being held in "tender age" camps.
Old 23 August 2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Not enough space on the box to show a bear in its natural habitat....a Studebaker.
Wocka Wocka
Old 23 August 2018, 07:33 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I wouldn't say that:

Old 23 August 2018, 07:48 PM

Baseball

I absolutely love that picture. Gonna borrow it for a phone background, if you don't mind.