snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 22 April 2014, 04:56 AM

Blow Your Top Should You Be Worried About Your E-Cigarette Exploding?

Last week, an 18-year-old bartender in North Yorkshire, England, was serving drinks when a colleague's electronic cigarette exploded, setting the bartender's dress on fire. This was not the first reported incident of an e-cigarette exploding—over the past few years, there have been more than a dozen similar reports.

Specifically, it's e-cigarettes' lithium-ion batteries that combust. These batteries are also found in laptops and cellphones. But with e-cigarettes, the batteries are especially prone to overheating because smokers use incompatible chargers, overcharge the e-cigarettes, or don't take sufficient safety precautions.

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...e-fda-timeline
Old 22 April 2014, 06:56 AM

More than a dozen instances in several years time? Pardon me if I'm not impressed by the danger.
Old 22 April 2014, 07:43 AM

Australia

Well we just banned them about a week ago, so I'm not worried. Tried one for a while during my many quitting attempts, loved the choc-mint flavour, but alas it was never quite the real thing.

From the OP;

Quote:
Sherman, Texas, July 2013
Wes Sloan wanted to kick his habit, so bought what he assumed would be a safer, electric alternative to cigarettes. "The battery was into about a two-hour charge and it exploded and shot across the room like a Roman candle," he said. Sloan was charging the e-cig in the USB port of a Macbook. He says he suffered second- and third-degree burns, and that he and his wife, Cathy, were treated for smoke inhalation.
Oh, the irony.
Old 22 April 2014, 10:24 AM

Flame

I first heard this one from Jon Holmes on BBC 4 last week but apparently it's older:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteri...w_of_headlines