snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 08 October 2013, 04:07 PM

Default Dog having seizure-like symptoms when frightened

I know there are lots of dog lovers on here, so I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience with a pet. My three year old Lab, Ginger, has these seizure-like symptoms on three occasions now. The first time was back in February, then again a few months later, and it happened for the third time today. After the second episode we took her to the vet, but they couldn't find anything wrong with her.

It seems to happen when she gets very frightened. She starts to bark at whatever it is that scares her, then her legs stiffen and she has trouble walking. Her back curls and she shakes all over. When she tries to walk she stumbles and falls. After a few minutes of soothing her she returns to normal with no after effects.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing?
Old 08 October 2013, 05:00 PM

That doesn't sound like a seizure to me, only an extreme fear reaction. I fill in part time at a doggy day care facility, and plenty of dogs their first time in will be so scared they're hunched over and vibrating. If your vet can't find anything wrong with her, try something like a thunder shirt.
Old 08 October 2013, 05:17 PM

I did once know a cat whose rear legs would become paralyzed when he was startled or scared. If you startled him, all of a sudden he would go stiff, sit or fall down, and then drag himself by his front legs to a hiding place, like under a chair. It was pretty distressing to see, but he was always perfectly fine afterward. Similarly, the vet didn't find anything physically wrong with him. I guess it was essentially hysterical paralysis.
Old 08 October 2013, 05:21 PM

While your dog might have a slight neurological issue, my guess is that it's not worth it to put her through the battery of tests to find it unless the problem worsens.

It sounds like she lacks confidence. I'd try building that with obedience and agility and other bonding activities at which she can be successful and be praised for.
Old 08 October 2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks, guys.

It's just such a strange thing, and pretty distressing for everyone. She's otherwise very healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
While your dog might have a slight neurological issue, my guess is that it's not worth it to put her through the battery of tests to find it unless the problem worsens.
Agreed. It doesn't happen often enough that it affects her very much, but it is quite frightening.

Quote:
It sounds like she lacks confidence. I'd try building that with obedience and agility and other bonding activities at which she can be successful and be praised for.
This does make sense, but Ginger is a very friendly, outgoing dog. She socializes well with people and other dogs, and even cats. She isn't frightened of many things, loud noises or strangers for instance. She isn't a skittish or shy dog. It just seems that sometimes certain things will affect her.

I think I will start making a note of when this happens and what seems to cause it. Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does there may be a pattern.
Old 09 October 2013, 03:21 PM

Sounds exactly like Fainting Goats.