snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 18 February 2007, 10:02 AM

Icon605 First Words of the Day

A few years ago, a radio station ran a contest. Disc jockeys invited their listeners to tune in their clock radios. "Just for fun," they said, "when you wake up to the sound of FM-106, call and tell us the first words you spoke when you rolled out of bed. If you're the third caller, you'll win $106."

It didn't take long for the contest to grow in enthusiasm. The first morning, a buoyant disc jockey said, "Caller number three, what did you say when you rolled out of bed this morning?" A groggy voice said, "Do I smell coffee burning?" Another day, a sleepy clerical worker said, "Oh no, I'm late for work." Somebody else said her first words were, "Honey, did I put out the dog last night?" A muffled curse was immediately heard in the background, and then a man was heard to say, "No, you didn't." It was a funny contest and drew a considerable audience.

One morning, however, the third caller said something unusual. The station phone rang. "Good morning, this is FM-106. You're on the air. What did you say when you rolled out of bed this morning?"

A voice with a Bronx accent replied, "You want to know my first words in the morning?"

The bubbly DJ said, "Yes, sir! Tell us what you said."

The Bronx voice responded, "Shema, Israel ... Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might." There was a moment of embarrassed silence. Then the radio announcer said, "Sorry, wrong number," and cut to a commercial.

It is a sad commentary on our society that people find more joy in hearing people curse in the morning than from God's name being glorified. One of the jobs given to the Levites in the Old Testament was "to stand every morning to thank and praise the Lord, and likewise at evening." (I Chron. 23:30).

All of this is intended to make you stop and think. What were the first words you spoke when you got out of bed this morning? Was it a curse or a blessing? Did your first words revolve around your job, your dog, or your God who created you and gave me a new day? Just a little food for thought.
Old 18 February 2007, 06:55 PM

Icon102

You can find this story on esermons.

And another appearance of this one.

But can't find anything pinpointing where this FM-106 might be.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:24 PM
Sunny Lea

Crap! It's Jewish glurge! I thought Jesus (and, usually, puppies) were essential to glurge.
Old 18 February 2007, 08:07 PM
claudia

I don't say anything in the morning.

Sometimes I don't speak all day.
Old 18 February 2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
All of this is intended to make you stop and think. What were the first words you spoke when you got out of bed this morning?
"Get off! Will you *stop* licking me!"
Old 19 February 2007, 02:19 AM

"How am i going to have a pee with it on that angle?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
And what did hubby reply?
Old 19 February 2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
And what did hubby reply?
"Dude! Not cool! What are you doing in my house?"
Old 19 February 2007, 04:45 AM

My first words are, "why can't that dog wait until the alarm goes off to start barking. It's only six thirty in the morning." I've also said when the alarm goes off, "where's the remote for the alarm." The alarm is across the room so we have to get out of bed to turn it off.
Old 19 February 2007, 05:22 AM

FIrst thing I usually say in the morning is " I'n gona g th' bath'm. Y' gta go? F'n' cat g' off me"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post

But can't find anything pinpointing where this FM-106 might be.
It's not the 106 FM I work for though it sounds like a neat idea for the morning show.
Old 19 February 2007, 07:38 AM

According to http://radiostationworld.com/Locatio...o_websites.asp, there are a number of FM -106 stations in Israel:

BEERSHEVA
106.4 - Kol Hanegev - Ashqelon (Southern) IL

JERUSALEM
106.0 - Mt. Scopus Radio - Jerusalem IL.. college; 2100-0200 (Hebrew Univ.)
106.0 - Radio Kolmy - Jerusalem IL.. college (Jerusalem College)
106.7 - Radio 10 - Jerusalem IL.. talk-Hebrew

TEL AVIV
106.0 - FM106 - Tel Aviv (Yafo) IL
106.0 - Kol Limudi - Holon/Tel Aviv (Yafo) IL

If the radio station mentioned in the glurge was one of these Israeli stations, that might explain why the first thing the gentleman said when he got up in the morning was the Shema. I believe that if you're Jewish, the Shema IS the first thing you're supposed to say each day, as soon as you get up.
Old 19 February 2007, 08:01 AM
lazerus the duck

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhysdux View Post
I believe that if you're Jewish, the Shema IS the first thing you're supposed to say each day, as soon as you get up.
Here I was thinking it was 'I could murder some bacon'.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:06 AM

This makes me think of the Army rule* that the first words you say when you wake up can't be held against you. I suppose because if you had to be abruptly woken at 5am you'd tell everybody to NFBSK off and worse.

*Hubby used to be in the Army long before I met him. I only have his word that this is an actual rule, but he insists.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:32 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhysdux View Post
If the radio station mentioned in the glurge was one of these Israeli stations, that might explain why the first thing the gentleman said when he got up in the morning was the Shema. I believe that if you're Jewish, the Shema IS the first thing you're supposed to say each day, as soon as you get up.
If it was one of these Israeli radio stations, the reaction in the glurge would be even less likely than that from a North American radio station. I get the feeling that FM-106 is somewhere in North America.

Of course, with no further identifying features (a radio station that held a contest some years ago -- that narrows it down!), it's hard to say. You could very well be right that the station is in Israel.
Old 19 February 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
A voice with a Bronx accent replied, "You want to know my first words in the morning?"
I realize New Yorkers can emigrate to Israel, but I'm still betting this glurge takes place in North America.
Old 19 February 2007, 06:22 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmammal View Post
I realize New Yorkers can emigrate to Israel, but I'm still betting this glurge takes place in North America.
I assumed from the "Bronx accent" bit that it took place somewhere around New York City itself. In most other places, don't the accents all get lumped together as "New York accent"? I know they do around here.
Old 19 February 2007, 07:26 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlushingBride View Post
I assumed from the "Bronx accent" bit that it took place somewhere around New York City itself.
Good point.

Here's a list of NYC radio stations.

I doubt it's 105.9.

That leaves only 106.7, which bills itself as 106.7, not FM-106. Anyone know if any radio stations have gone off the air in the New York area in the past few years?

Here's Wiki's list of radio stations in New York state. But I'm not familiar enough with New York geography to narrow this down further.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlushingBride View Post
I assumed from the "Bronx accent" bit that it took place somewhere around New York City itself. In most other places, don't the accents all get lumped together as "New York accent"? I know they do around here.
No, I hear people talk about accents being "Bronx" or "Brooklyn," etc. I don't think they know the difference, and I think they use any of those as a catch-all for any accent around New York, but I don't usually hear people just call it a "New York" accent.
My impression was that it was a Bronx accent because of the 'New York Jew' stereotype, so I was figuring the station was probably meant to be somewhere else, where anyone from New York is Jewish, right? Assuming they're not Drunk Irish Catholic or Italian Mafia. Gives it a nice, solid undercurrent of glurgy prejudice.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:46 PM

Do you say the Shema in English? I thought you always said it in Hebrew. Shema, yisrael, adonai elohenu, adoni ehad...

Not that the caller couldn't translate, or that people couldn't theoretically say it in English, but I've only ever heard it recited in Hebrew.

Avril
Old 19 February 2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Do you say the Shema in English? I thought you always said it in Hebrew. Shema, yisrael, adonai elohenu, adoni ehad...

Not that the caller couldn't translate, or that people couldn't theoretically say it in English, but I've only ever heard it recited in Hebrew.

Avril
Totally, OT...but am I the only one who adores the rhythms of Hebrew prayer and chant?

Yeah.

As for the OP? My impression of AM radio was that there was supposed to be humor. Ya know, to wake you up, make you happy, help you face your day. I don't think a brox-accented voice reciting prayer would do the trick.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:42 PM

My first words of the morning are usually incoherent but can be best translated as, "Og need coffee!"