snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 16 January 2019, 05:32 PM

Icon23 Making Avocado Toast

I've just finished looking up some recipes and this sounds like something I want to try, but I have one question: if I'm too lazy to go buy an avocado and mash it up in a bowl, can I just use guacamole?
Old 16 January 2019, 06:47 PM

If you don't mind a garlicky-oniony flavor, I guess you could.
Old 16 January 2019, 08:15 PM

Try it once side by side, and see if it works for you. It's a very simple dish, with few ingredients, so I'd be wary about skimping on the signature ingredient like that. But I haven't tried it.

You don't necessarily have to mash up the avocado. You don't need to be a produce expert to figure out how ripe they are in the store. They're one of the easier things to determine ripeness of. Buy a ripe one if you're making it today, or slightly less ripe depending on how far in the future you'll be using it. When it's properly ripe you can just cut into it and slice it right onto toast, and you're done. It's soft enough that mashing is redundant if you're not using it as a dip.

I put fresh avocado on breakfast sandwiches in the morning. It's very quick. I only use 1 quarter of the avocado at a time, so I keep the seed in and slice around it, then put it into a ziplock bag with air squeezed out, and it lasts in the refrigerator long enough to use the whole thing 1 day at a time.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:23 AM

I recall reading about packaged avocado, mostly because of the novel means of packaging. Not sure of the brands but here is one that I found: https://www.eatwholly.com/products/s...cado-sea-salt/