snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 10 January 2019, 03:24 PM

Glasses

Actually, I think it's because of the cauliflower. It's a long story, but vegetable pakora from this restaurant is the only way I've ever been able to tolerate cauliflower. I think I ate too much, and that my dislike of cauliflower may be more than just a hatred for the smell.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2019, 03:36 PM

If one gets sick right after eating something, even if the cause of the illness is unrelated, some safety mechanism in the body may label that item as hazardous by making it seem nauseating.

Many years ago, my father and I used to both love a particular canned stuffed cabbage dish. My father came across a sale and bought a couple of cases of the stuff. Right after he did so, I came down with a flu or something similar -- the symptoms of which hit me before a meal of stuffed cabbage had been fully digested. I would never eat the stuff again; leaving my mother* with two cases of cans of stuffed cabbage that were no longer a good quick supper for everybody.

*yes, she did all the cooking. It was somewhere around 1959; and she was a SAHM.
Old 10 January 2019, 07:15 PM

Glasses

Let me clarify. I have always found the smell of cauliflower nauseating. I also find the smell of cooked broccoli, etc. disgusting, but not quite to the same level. Until I went to this restaurant, I had never been exposed to cauliflower that did not smell.

What I'm saying is that perhaps I found the smell nauseating because it is something I should not eat, and that by ignoring that warning, I made myself sick. The (temporary, I hope) side effect is that some spice that says "Indian food" to me now also smells disgusting, and it is a smell that I managed to get on my face and hands while eating, and subsequently on my clothes.

I've washed my hands and face, and will wash my clothes, and with luck will be able to return to that restaurant in the future and enjoy foods other than the vegetable pakora.

Seaboe
Old 13 January 2019, 04:13 PM

Seaboe- I've recovered from such negative associations before, and hope the same will be true for you in this instance. For me, it was being able to use Listerine the summer after I'd had some teeth removed; the numbing agent they put on my gum before the novacaine injection had that minty Listerine flavor and thinking about it gave me a headache.
Old 13 January 2019, 04:36 PM

I once worked with a woman who, in her late 30s, still didn't eat birthday cake because she got sick after eating it once -- on her 5th birthday.

She was a bit. . .high-strung, though.
Old 13 January 2019, 05:21 PM

That happened to me with angel food cake. It used to be my favorite and then I got sick after eating a whole lot of it. I wouldn't go near it for years and my love of it has never fully recovered.
Old 14 January 2019, 02:47 PM

I got sick a couple of times after eating my mom's lasagna, made with cottage cheese. Haven't been able to eat it since. I make my lasagna with ricotta.
Old 15 January 2019, 01:49 PM

Icon101

Back when I was a kid, I got sick from too much chocolate syrup on some ice cream. I'm only now just teaching myself that chocolate syrup does not equal upset stomach a few hours later. Only took about 50 years.
Old 30 January 2019, 04:20 PM

Icon108

UP: My work place did not open until 11AM this morning because of icy road conditions. And on my birthday no less!
DOWN: I was getting ready for work when I got the text; if I had gotten it an hour earlier, I could have set my alarm for a later wake up time and gone back to sleep.
Old 30 January 2019, 04:55 PM

Dawnstorm, my SIL got the text announcing her son's school was closed as she was at the school, to drop him off. She was greatly irked.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:51 PM

A fellow bus rider once got the text that her classes had been cancelled for the day just as we approached her (and my) stop downtown. She was able to get a bus back to the park-and-ride a few minutes later, but it was a local, so she probably had at least an hour's ride.
Old 30 January 2019, 08:40 PM

Glasses

Up: we got a 1 week extension on the project I'm working on
Down: Documents are still coming in. This will still be a rolling production.

Seaboe
Old 04 February 2019, 12:49 PM

Police

DOWN: An accident this past Saturday morning woke me up.
UP: It was only* a two car accident and thankfully no one was seriously hurt. The rescue squad is always summoned anyway just to be sure. (and of course I have no way of knowing the extent of any injuries just by looking through my kitchen or living room window)
One of the people involved actually posted on NextDoor later on that day.

*I say only because I've seen some doosies that have involved many cars and serious injuries. A reminder to me to be careful out there.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:52 AM

Theme Icon

UP: I had an appointment across town today which was quite close to my favourite plant nursery, which I don't visit often enough. The appoinment was annoying but I got to go shop for plants!

DOWN: When I got there the nursery had closed down!!

UP: I found a sign saying they'd only moved to a new location

DOWN: The new location was at least twice as far away as the old one!

UP: The new location just happened to be right next to a tram stop, so even though it's further away it's actually easier for me to get there

DOWN: Their new yard is much smaller than their previous one so their range of plants is MUCH smaller than what they used to carry, plus the recent heat wave apparently decimated the poor plants and most of them were dried up and dying.

UP: Even though their other sections were disappointing they still had a pretty good range of water plants, which is what I happened to be looking for

DOWN: Their prices were a bit higher than what I would have preferred, but after coming all that way I decided to get a nice bushy water milfoil anyway

UP: When I got to the register it turned out that all their plants are 50% off so the plant ended up being even cheaper than I'd been hoping for!

What a rollercoaster of emotions.
Old 06 February 2019, 03:09 PM

Icon95

DOWN: This morning, a certain cat (looking at you Hecate!!) woke me at 4:45AM up by scratching at the window. That woke up the other cats and Pearl.
UP: I had enough time to stop by the nearby IHOP and have a nice breakfast, plus I arrived at work early.