snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 13 January 2019, 01:20 AM

Icon402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I sincerely hope that you get the recompense and satisfaction you deserve after this is over.
Thatís dueling language. Are you suggesting she challenge the President of the HOA to a duel?
Old 13 January 2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Thatís dueling language. Are you suggesting she challenge the President of the HOA to a duel?
I was thinking more from the episode of Young Justice, season 2, "Satisfaction", where Lex Luthor asks the original Roy Harper, "What is it you really want, son? Revenge, or satisfaction?"
Old 13 January 2019, 02:27 PM

Flame

I was thinking of Horatio Hornblower, Midshipman Hornblower, episode The Fire Ships.

"I shall have recompense, in a duel, at first light!"

And of course, "You have insulted me, sir. I demand satisfaction!" in my most over the top take on a deep southern accent.
Old 13 January 2019, 03:58 PM

Cervus, how infuriating!!
Old 13 January 2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I was thinking of Horatio Hornblower, Midshipman Hornblower, episode The Fire Ships.

"I shall have recompense, in a duel, at first light!"

And of course, "You have insulted me, sir. I demand satisfaction!" in my most over the top take on a deep southern accent.
Shooting someone does seem like a reasonable response.
Old 14 January 2019, 04:57 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Reading that raised my blood pressure, Cervus; I have never heard a "good HOA" story and this just iced the cake. I sincerely hope that you get the recompense and satisfaction you deserve after this is over.
Raised mine too. What happened to the "two weeks notice"? What's the name of the company doing the painting, Bulls in a China Shop Inc?
Old 14 January 2019, 06:13 PM

I can't make this up: this morning the painters parked their van in front of my driveway, completely blocking my car in. When I finally tracked down the painter who had the keys, he moved the van...and completely blocked my neighbor's driveway instead.

There are places along the street to park company trucks and vans so that residents won't be blocked in. These guys are just so incompetent.
Old 14 January 2019, 06:21 PM

Did you talk to the one with the straight black hair in a bowl cut or the one with the mop of frizzy hair or the bald one? Because the first one is the leader.
Old 14 January 2019, 06:21 PM

Teacher

Uuuugh, my new housemate is being really annoying over bills already and she's only been here a few months. We just got a quarterly gas bill which just happened to cover the period that one housemate moved out, one moved in and another was overseas for an entire month. We usually just split the bill three ways evenly (we explained this to her in the initial housemate interview) but because this one covers a period where there were sometimes three people in the house, sometimes two and sometimes just one and because the bill is calculated on the amount of gas we actually used and not a flat daily rate I calculated everyone's share by figuring out how many days they were in the house. I was there for 65 days so my share was bill x (65/total days), another housemate was there for 20 days so their share was bill x (20/total days), etc etc..

The new housemate decided she was going to calculate her share of the bill differently: she divided the bill by the number of days it covered, counted up how many days she was in the house and how much of the bill that would be, then divided it by three. The difference was only a few bucks but it took me a LONG TIME to get her to understand why that simple method wasn't fair. She really, really didn't want to pay those few extra bucks. She also just cared about her share, she never bothered calculating how much everyone else should be paying under her billing scheme.

So far there's been 8 emails back and forth and I don't know how many more it's going to take. I would have just let it go and paid those few $$ myself except I get the feeling if I did that she'd be arguing every bill and shared fee that we get for as long as she stays here.
Old 14 January 2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I have never heard a "good HOA" story.
I have one.

My townhouse in northern Virginia is in an HOA area and when I was living there, a neighbor was cutting through my yard, using the yard as a shortcut to the main road. I asked the neighbor to stop, but he refused and his daily treks through my yard was wearing a path in the grass. The property was a corner lot and the side of the property was along the entry road.

I discussed it with someone on the HOA board in regards to my possibilities and the HOA installed a split rail fence along side between my yard and the sidewalk. The errant neighbor no longer cut through my yard, problem solved.
Old 14 January 2019, 07:57 PM

Read This!

[QUOTE=Gutter Monkey;1994504]

The new housemate decided she was going to calculate her share of the bill differently: /QUOTE]

Back when I had roommates, the Newbie was complaining that the utility bills seemed awfully high. The next time I was visiting my parents, I asked them what their monthly bills were; I told my roommates the figure(s). It calmed Newbie down. No more issues.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:51 PM

The painters are still working and still trampling any and all vegetation surrounding our houses. I've got the majority of my potted plants safe in the house, but I can't fathom how anyone can just wantonly walk all over bushes and smash them down by setting their ladders and tools on them. Every day I come home from work and my plumbago and porterweed bushes are a fraction of the size they were weeks ago, with branches broken off and blobs of paint dripped on the remaining leaves. While I was at work this morning the painters did my patio but they missed a large section above the door that's very obvious. They also came back to "touch up" some spots near the roofline that they instead made worse.

I guess I should wait until they're finished to file a full complaint to their company and the HOA? I'm documenting the damage with photos.

ETA: My garden hose is missing. I CAN'T EVEN.

Last edited by Cervus; 19 January 2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 19 January 2019, 09:39 PM

Gutter Monkey, I'm not sure if you're just not expressing it well, or if I'm missing something, but the way you've explained the way you split up the bill doesn't make sense to me. If you literally did it the way you expressed it mathematically in your post, you can see it would not be right because a person who was there every day would have to pay the whole bill. If the bill was $100, and covered 90 days: 100*(90/90)=100. It sounds like her way may not have made sense either, at least if she was there when there were different numbers of roommates.
Old 19 January 2019, 11:46 PM

I assumed that "total days" meant the total number of days for each person added together. So, let's say that, in a 90-day period, one person was there all 90 days, one only 60, and one only 30; that gives us 180 "total days," from which a $100 bill breaks down to $50, $33, and $17, respectively. I'm not sure what would be a better term than "total days," though I see why it's confusing.
Old 20 January 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I assumed that "total days" meant the total number of days for each person added together. So, let's say that, in a 90-day period, one person was there all 90 days, one only 60, and one only 30; that gives us 180 "total days," from which a $100 bill breaks down to $50, $33, and $17, respectively. I'm not sure what would be a better term than "total days," though I see why it's confusing.
Yep, this was how I went about it. It's the best way I could divide up the bill to represent how much gas each person used.

I could have just gone "Well the agreement is that we divide bills by three regardless so I'm going to pay 1/3, the housemate who was away for a month can pay 1/3 and the housemate who left and the housemate who just moved in can pay 1/6 each I guess" and they probably would have just accepted that but I didn't think that was fair. (Note that I ended up paying a fair bit more and everyone else ended up paying a bit less with my day-by-day calculation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Back when I had roommates, the Newbie was complaining that the utility bills seemed awfully high. The next time I was visiting my parents, I asked them what their monthly bills were; I told my roommates the figure(s). It calmed Newbie down. No more issues.
Our house is **so cheap** it's ridiculous. Just recently when we were advertising for a new housemate my other housemate had a look online to see what the other rental properties which were charging similar monthly rent were like, the only one in our price range he could find had partitioned the bedrooms with homemade cardboard walls so they could fit in more people!
Old 20 January 2019, 01:47 AM

So it was that I was missing something. Thanks for the explanation. I think the way I would have done the problem would have been a little more complicated, but would have yielded the same result.
Old 20 January 2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
ETA: My garden hose is missing. I CAN'T EVEN.
Update: they returned my garden hose about 10 minutes after I noticed it missing. They'd "borrowed" it. Seriously?!

I can't wait for these guys to be out of here.
Old 20 January 2019, 03:27 AM

Teacher

We just got another utility bill for electricity covering a similar period so this time I gave everyone the option: we can take into account how many days each person was actually in the house and divide up the bill that way (my complicated method) or we could just divide up the bill into equal thirds, with the people who moved out or moved in paying 1/6 each (the simple method). I told them I don't care which method they prefer, I laid out the individual sums under each method and told them they can just choose to pay one or the other regardless of what the other housemates choose to pay. You wanna pay 37/232nds? Fine. You wanna pay 1/6th? No problems. It makes no difference to me.

(If they choose the simple method they'll actually be paying more)
Old 22 January 2019, 12:03 AM

Cervus. These people are not "professional" painters. The contractor hired people off the street, handed them brushes and said "Here, paint that with this paint. Oh, and try not to slop the paint too much. It costs money."

I'm friends with a professional who has over 30 years experience. He does everything possible to avoid the crap you're experiencing. (He painted my house.)

The contractor you're dealing with was the lowest bidder, I'm sure. I'd bet you even money the majority of the work crew have never painted anything before.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:35 AM

That is the problem, Dr. Rocket. People save money by hiring people who don't know what they are doing (cause hey, how hard can it be to paint something?) and then things go wrong. I get calls every now and then from a client who hired a cheaper competitor, and want me to fix it now that the regulators are upset. It usually ends up costing them a lot more in the end.