snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 December 2018, 04:11 AM

Today I was in line behind a Mercedes-AMG C63 S at the In-N-Out Burger drive-thru. Its exhaust sound was loud and burbley, almost like a Harley. It took me a while to realize that sound was coming from that car; I thought there was someone on a Harley ahead of it in line. I don't know if it's supposed to sound like that or if the owner had modified it further from what AMG had already modified the regular C-Class. I've always thought of Mercedes as well engineered, smooth, and quiet, including the high performance models, but maybe that actually doesn't apply to the high performance models.
Old 28 December 2018, 04:30 PM

People sometimes do mess around with engines when they don't need to. I saw / heard a Lamborghini a few years ago (in Zurich, I think, probably a Gallardo but I can't remember) and either its exhaust was a complete mess or somebody had replaced it deliberately so that it sounded like the louder sort of boy-racer hatchback with poor timing and a loose exhaust. Which I thought was odd because the boy-racers like doing that to their less powerful cars to make them sound more powerful and make an impression, whereas a Lamborghini is already several times more powerful than them, and might actually impress somebody on its own, so you would have thought messing up the engine noise would have been redundant.

I saw a nice Morgan yesterday - it looked a little more extreme around the fenders than the typical Roadster so I think it might have been one of the Aero variants from a few years ago. The front of the Aero SuperSports in one of the Wikipedia pictures looks about right.

Last edited by Richard W; 28 December 2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 29 December 2018, 06:26 PM

I think the C63 sound is probably stock, they are tuned to be super agressive sounding. Well engineered maybe, but “Smooth and Quiet” are not on the requirements list for the big engined AMG models.

Here is an awful you tube video demonstrating (skip the horrific intro music!)

https://youtu.be/lSGBDrJjY3s
Old 29 December 2018, 09:28 PM

Driver

I saw a Cooper Mini. That is a very rare thing in the tiny, rural town. If Cooper made farm equipment we would see much more.

I am not fluent in car speak so I cannot tell you year, or any details except that it was red and white.

And I wanted it very much.

Morning
Old 29 December 2018, 10:14 PM

Saw a right hand drive Saturn station wagon, a few minutes ago.
Old 07 January 2019, 03:10 PM

Glasses

I saw a BMW i8 on the way home on Friday. Those cut-outs above the tail lights are serious eye candy. Do they actually work? I assume they're supposed to take the place of a spoiler.

I also saw a 1989 Crown Vic at the grocery store on Thursday.

Seaboe
Old 07 January 2019, 08:51 PM

France

A Tesla serving as a taxi. Quite silent, I must say. Noiseless, even.

Old 09 January 2019, 12:28 AM

An early GTO, Pontiac, not Ferrari.
Old 09 January 2019, 09:56 PM

Glasses

I have a friend who is a BMW aficionado, and he says those cut outs on the i8 do work, and they do act like a spoiler. He also described it as BMW's answer to Tesla.

Seaboe
Old 11 January 2019, 03:02 PM

Glasses

I saw a modern Rolls Royce yesterday. I'm not sure of the model, and looking at pictures, I can't really see much to differentiate them, anyway. Still, a Rolls trying to drive quickly through Seattle traffic? It is to laugh.

Seaboe
Old 11 January 2019, 08:42 PM

Funnily enough I was just coming to mention a Rolls Royce as well. Mine was a pastel / lemon yellow late '70s or early '80s model that I saw on Marylebone Road and turning into Chapel Street, while I was walking to Edgeware Road tube this morning. Possibly a Silver Shadow? Or it could have been a Corniche or a Camargue from around the same time - they had a few quite similar looking models around then.

I mention it not because I see few Rolls Royces - I see them more now than I did a few years ago, and I've not even mentioned the last few. But Rolls is one of the few marques where I think some of their nicest models date from that time period (late '70s / early '80s seemed to be quite an ugly time for most companies, but Rolls put out some nice ones, to my mind anyway), and also I really liked the colour. It was "wrong" somehow, but worked, and I rather liked it.

(As far as "wrong" colours go, about 30 seconds later I saw a lime-green Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, which the Rolls must just have driven past in the other direction, coming out of Chapel Street. For colours named after citrus fruits, lime green is a lot less pleasant than lemon yellow. I think this was the same colour as the one I saw in Gerrard's Cross a couple of years ago, although it looked a little better this time round. Better light, maybe).

I see enough really expensive cars that they're not worth mentioning these days unless there's something else interesting about them. Living in the south east of England, although it's by no means universally rich (there's a lot of income / wealth inequality in some areas, including around High Wycombe), the areas in which I live and work have some of the richest people in the country and there are a lot of expensive cars around. It's interesting the different types you see in different places, though.

In High Wycombe itself they tend to be fairly flashy ones - although with a few real classics. London you can see more-or-less anything. Cheltenham seems to be generally well-off rather than having the extremes that you get in London or around Wycombe. So although there are nice cars there, Aston Martins seem most popular - understated and tasteful, rather than showing off your wealth. And around my parents in Selsey, you tend to get retired people and hobbyists, so that's where I see the most interesting - although not necessarily most expensive - things; they're classics that have been restored as (presumably) a retirement project for somebody who's done alright and has enough money to spend on it in their old age. It doesn't hurt that it's also near Goodwood, where there are a lot of classic car events, so up towards Chichester on the A27 you'll see interesting things too. (eta) The Morgan (probably) Aero that I mentioned in my last post was on the A27 out somewhere around Worthing. That's a good example of a nice hobbyist car of the kind I mean - certainly not cheap, but if anything it's making a statement that you really like cars, rather than that you're rich.

So that's partly why I've not been posting much... I see enough top-of-the-range cars round here these days that (unless they're either truly exceptional or there's something else interesting about them) I got bored mentioning them.

Last edited by Richard W; 11 January 2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 14 January 2019, 03:08 PM

Glasses

It isn't just expensive cars that catch my eye (viz the '89 Crown Vic), but ones that seem out of place, whether because they are old, or expensive for the neighborhood, or unusual in Seattle, or just plain beautiful.

Today I was followed on the way to work by two pair of very square headlights (technically I suppose they were rectangular), one pair of which had these little grids covering them. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what the car was (it's hard to see what's behind you in the dark when there's a source of bright light between you and it). Whoever was driving was quite impatient with me (I was going the speed limit), so I got to see those headlights well.

He finally got the chance to pass, when I pulled into the turn lane, and it was a Volkswagen Vanagon/ Westfalia. It must have been a mid-80s model, with those square headlights.

Seaboe
Old 14 January 2019, 05:53 PM

Those old Westphalias are going up in value, apparently. I saw a 1977 model parked on the street with a "for sale" sign on it -- the asking price was just under $20,000.
Old 14 January 2019, 08:32 PM

I’ve seen “splitties”(pre-67) go for six figures at certain auctions.
Old 14 January 2019, 08:55 PM

Glasses

Yeah, but those are classics, smitty.

Seaboe
Old 14 January 2019, 11:32 PM

Those auction cars are also, for the most part, in superb, flawless condition.

Something that people who are trying to sell a rusty, beaten up "classic" for top dollar fail to take into consideration.
Old 15 January 2019, 02:56 PM

Glasses

Last week, while I was walking to the parking lot after work, I saw a car I'm having trouble identifying. It was a mid-60s model, not too big, and I think it said "American" on the front passenger side, near the headlight--or if not American, a word of the same length that started with an A. I could not see the brand, because I was on foot and it was on the road. I only managed to see as much as I did because I hustled to get as close as I could while the car was at a red light.

It reminded me of a Plymouth Valiant or a Dodge Dart, but it wasn't either of those.

Seaboe
Old 15 January 2019, 03:20 PM

There is a Rambler American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramble...lack_sedan.jpg
Old 15 January 2019, 07:21 PM

Glasses

Thanks, GenYus. Looking at the 1965-68 sedans, it looks like that's it. I can't identify the particular year, though. I was so busy trying to read the "American" badge that I didn't pay close attention to the lights.

Seaboe
Old 16 January 2019, 12:08 AM

Driver

This morning on the freeway I saw a first-gen Chevy S10 pickup on the shoulder with the left rear wheel missing and the brake drum sitting on the ground. About a hundred yards down the road I saw the wheel and tire on the line between the carpool lane and the next one to the right. This was in stop-and-go traffic, so commuters were having no trouble driving around it.