snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 December 2018, 06:03 PM

Chef

The other night I used the word "spaghettiquette" in a dream conversation (oddly, in a dream that involved neither pasta nor manners). When I awoke I thought I might have invented a new word, but of course there's nothing new in the world: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...paghettiquette
Old 28 December 2018, 02:39 PM

The Partridge Family, the 1970s supergroup that had their own TV show, performed a reunion concert in my area.

They did a song called "All By Myself" (not the song that as a '70s hit for someone else), which I also learned was a hit for them in the '70s that I just never heard.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 28 December 2018, 04:34 PM

In order to have running water or electricity in my kitchen, I need to go out to the garage and pull a bypass control that's part of the work van. The contractors didn't tell me about this in advance, though they now insist that they did.

I was very relieved when I woke up to find out that this isn't so; although, when I thought about it once awake, I don't think you could set things up like that if you actively tried to.

(I did just have some work done to get more power out to the packing shed, and it did briefly affect both the electric and water supply to the house as well as the shed, because the well pump doesn't work without electricity and they had to cut the power at the main breaker for several hours to work on the breaker box. The work van, however, though it does exist IRL, was not involved.)
Old 02 January 2019, 05:54 PM

Bonsai Kitten

I found what I thought was an empty snail shell the other day and when I picked it up, out popped a tiny kitten! Lands it was small, but its eyes were open, its claws worked and it was vocal. Gonna keep it but what to feed it? It's too small for a bottle of Kitten Milk Replacement.
Old 02 January 2019, 06:14 PM

I learned that you can build a working car out of Lego type components. You just select all the major components you desire (engine, transmission, frame, etc.) and just stick them together like Legos. Then you use Lego bricks to build a body around the whole thing. In the dream, I was apparently back in high school, and building the car was part of my science class or something like that. IIRC the assignment was to build a car of your choosing and then measure its fuel economy. I think the Lego car thing was supposed to be a way of making automotive technology more accessible to students. I was just disappointed that I wouldn't get to keep the car after the assignment was complete.
Old 06 January 2019, 12:31 PM

Whalephant

I have 2 broken down cars just sitting in parking spaces in my apartment complex. I've gotten several warnings about them, and now I'm being fined $250 a day until they're gone.

I actually woke up in a panic over this one. "Where am I going to get the money for the fine!?"
Old 06 January 2019, 09:37 PM

I dreamed that for some reason I had to replace an actor in a Shakespearean play, just a spear-carrying part, and I had to remember just a few lines: "At hand, my Lord" "Aye, my Lord, 'tis true." "I go, my liege" But nobody told me what the cues were, and I did not recognize the text, plot or characters. However, I did realize that the king's "Where is my servant?" called for the first line, which I said. But then the king said, " E'en so! Thou shall't speak true. Sirrah, how stands England? "

Damn that man. I made up some speech: "Why, sire, England stands for she cannot sit, having a crowned head, that is thee, yet being unpossess'd of buttocks, and that's to say, an army; so look you, sire, to her bottom, and for the rest, let them that hath wit discourse, for I protest, none have I."

The king looked at me and said, "Okay, then, you can go."
Old 06 January 2019, 09:48 PM

Japan

The cherry trees blossom all together in the east, then linger only for a breath, and fall to earth before Man has pause to think upon their splendor. I count myself lucky that I stood beside one as it happened.

A winter's dream.
Old 07 January 2019, 05:57 PM

In sort of a continuation of the previous dream, a couple of nights ago I learned that people actually take out loans to buy Lego cars. These, however, didn't seem to be actual functional cars, but just normal Lego building sets like you'd buy at the toy store.
Old 07 January 2019, 10:33 PM

It's my wedding day again, and I've waited until the morning of to do my nail polish. Foolish, foolish!!
Old 08 January 2019, 12:04 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad from georgia View Post
damn that man. I made up some speech: "why, sire, england stands for she cannot sit, having a crowned head, that is thee, yet being unpossess'd of buttocks, and that's to say, an army; so look you, sire, to her bottom, and for the rest, let them that hath wit discourse, for i protest, none have i."

the king looked at me and said, "okay, then, you can go."
dilly dilly!

(Edit: I have no idea why this became all l.c.)
Old 08 January 2019, 04:08 PM

(1) I won two prizes in a contest.

Someone else walked off with one of them as if it were his own.

The person representing the prize sponsor told him that it was my prize and that he should let me keep it.

(2) I went to an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Unfortunately, it was late in the day, a lot of the food stations were running out of food, and I didn't seem to get all the things I wanted.

One food station was serving steaks and we could pick whichever one we wanted and they'd cook it for us. I picked one out and came back a few minutes later. Everyone else already had been given their steaks. The employee just told me that mine got burned and they had to throw it out.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08 January 2019, 08:17 PM

Apparently I need a different kind of caramel-flavored rice cake snack than my wife needs, and I can't find them in the store. And she's eating hers, and I'm getting hungry....
Old 08 January 2019, 08:30 PM

I can tell that I've been taking a cough suppressant with a codeine derivative. I'm having theatrical dreams.

Last night it was that my wife and I were in the audience, I presume at an sf con, for a live-action performance of the Buffy musical episode. Keep in mind that my wife is a Buffy fan, that I find vampires incredibly boring, and that I have never even once in my life sat through an entire episode (or movie) of Buffy. I have, however, heard my wife recap episodes time beyond numbering.

Anyway, I don't remember much about it, except that one character, and don't ask me who, I can't tell one from the other, had a cheery little number with the refrain, "'Cause I'm a vam-PIRRRRE!" It was loud, I left the auditorium, and later Mrs. from Georgia was extremely put out with me.

So I guess I learned not to diss amateur vampire singers?
Old 11 January 2019, 08:03 PM

I'm no longer allowed to send my sister random Korean junk mail that I find on the street.
Old 13 January 2019, 04:30 PM

Somebody with a health problem needs a certain brand of toothpaste with a certain ingredient. There's a national campaign to find it for that person.

I found it, but it was only a small travel size. I'll try to contact the manufacturer to see if I can find more. Meanwhile someone else found another brand with the same ingredient and put it in my garage.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 15 January 2019, 03:50 PM

(1) I'm about to start painting my house.

I'm going to be paid by somebody for painting my own house. I think I was told by somebody that it's a made-up job just so I'll have something to do and I'll get the money thinking I'm working for it.

I wondered toward the end why I need to paint the house at all; I have siding.

(2) There's a new "young adult" book out now featuring a teenage character similar to Harry Potter with a younger kid from the Family Circus family. I bought a copy.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 20 January 2019, 02:17 PM

Fright

Iron Man 4 has been released to theaters. Not to spoil it for, but it turns out Tony Stark has a son. What happens to his son is somewhat disturbing and I canít believe they put it on screen. It was, like, ISIS bad. I ended up having a severe panic attack at a very important meeting in the Pentagon later that day. And the worst part, as always, was that nobody seemed to care (about what was going on in Iraq and Syria I mean). Horrifying.

Bottom line: the MCU just got dark, folks, and I donít mean Deadpool f-bombs for laughs or purple CGI villain snap of the fingers dark.
Old 21 January 2019, 02:43 PM

The night before last I had yet another dream where I was somehow in possession of a large house or structure. This one was filled with stuff, like an antique shop or something. I don't remember too many details, but I do remember that not all the doors going into the place could be locked, and it was giving me anxiety. That's a common theme in these sorts of dreams for me.
Old 21 January 2019, 08:03 PM

Glasses

I dreamed there was an enormous book store, which included all my own books, in the basement of a building that was on fire. Suddenly, the water that was being used to put out the fire (and which was apparently not damaging the books) started to cause a sinkhole under the building. We (me and other non-fire fighting characters in the dream) were discussing what to do, since if they stopped with the water, the fire would consume the books, and if we tried to rescue them, we'd fall into the sink hole. We'd just decided it was a lost cause when I woke up.

Seaboe