snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 06 January 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Itís okay, let it out. Let it out. This is a safe place with people who support you.

That said, you should probably walk out of the room during the dance scene in Jaba's palace. The real head scratcher isnít merely that itís bad CGI, itís that itís worse than what itís painted over (for lack of a better term).

Like one of those bad preservation/restoration jobs done on centuries-old art by an ameteur painter. You now the one Iím talking about:

I responded to this post but my internet ate it- what a perfect analogy

ganz- True, though I wasn't there in 1977 so I was late to the game anyway
Old 06 January 2019, 11:58 PM

I love that restoration. That's my favorite rendition of Christ, without any irony, sarcasm, or joking. I feel it captures that moment in the Christ story and so much more. The previous version does not look anything like what it's supposed to be - an illustration of torture.

I know I'm in the minority on this, too, but I tend to agree with Lucas when he says Star Wars was meant to be entertaining for kids. That's the main reason I can still enjoy the trilogy almost as much as I did when I was a kid. It's Power Rangers with a better story and somewhat better effects. It still holds up well as that.

I saw ET over the holidays. It didn't hold up - even as a kids' movie. The parts that were supposed to be tearjerking almost had me in tears from laughter. So, still pretty entertaining, that is.

I also have been reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas out loud every night for a few weeks.It's still as fun as ever, obviously or I wouldn't have to read it every night (despite its two flaws - a somewhat abrupt ending and never revealing the terrifying truth that roast beast are grinches). Not all of Suess has fared so well. So I think I'm coming to terms with all of the terrible screenplays that have come out of his books, all the abuse Winnie the Pooh has taken in the past 50 years, and the Where the Wild Things Are movie. All little annoying things but that's about it: It's a little annoying that nothing lasts but I can get over it. I'd rather read a new book. And I will too. As soon as I stop getting requests for "Grinch again papa!"
Old 07 January 2019, 12:33 AM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I love that restoration. That's my favorite rendition of Christ, without any irony, sarcasm, or joking. I feel it captures that moment in the Christ story and so much more. The previous version does not look anything like what it's supposed to be - an illustration of torture.
It certainly is torturing to look at. Is it supposed to be a depiction of a gibbon (ape) getting tortured, though?
Old 07 January 2019, 12:40 AM

I think it's a Capuchin, not a gibbon.
Old 07 January 2019, 01:49 AM

Devil

You think Jesus has a tail? Seriously, separated at birth or what:

That’s a gibbon for you.
Old 07 January 2019, 02:43 AM

Heh heh. Funny! But even if it looked like a primate species other than the one it's supposed to, I'd prefer it to the version that looks more like the only blue-eyed tie salesman in Nazareth rolling his eyes up as if to say "Sheesh, this thorny crown prop just wont stay on!"
Old 07 January 2019, 05:38 AM

LTTAM: It's been a very windy day, and there was a very brief (less than a minute) power outage a few hours ago. It seems like now my HVAC system is screwed up. I don't know if it's related to the storm or power outage, but now I keep hearing the furnace start to come on every once in a while, but then it goes back of without running for any significant amount of time. And my Nest thermostat is now reporting that there is no power on the Y1 wire. If I disconnect that wire like as Nest's troubleshooting guide suggests, it says there's no power on the G wire, either.
Old 07 January 2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Try cleaning the smoke detector with compressed air, i.e., the cans that are used to blow out computers. Might work, might not.
Thanks to you and the others who replied.

If it happens again I'll try the compressed air. If that doesn't work I'll trouble the electrician.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 07 January 2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
LTTAM: It's been a very windy day, and there was a very brief (less than a minute) power outage a few hours ago. It seems like now my HVAC system is screwed up. I don't know if it's related to the storm or power outage, but now I keep hearing the furnace start to come on every once in a while, but then it goes back of without running for any significant amount of time. And my Nest thermostat is now reporting that there is no power on the Y1 wire. If I disconnect that wire like as Nest's troubleshooting guide suggests, it says there's no power on the G wire, either.
A momentary power outage can be accompanied by a power surge capable of damaging equipment in your house. The power supply in your furnace controller may be blown. And if I'm right about this, I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:30 PM

In an online help forum someone said they were able to at least temporarily fix a similar issue by "resetting" both the furnace and the Nest. So just to see if it works this morning I turned off the breaker for the HVAC system, left it off for a few minutes, and turned it back on. By that time the Nest's battery was depleted (It gets it's power from the HVAC wiring in most setups), but you can also charge it by removing it from the wall and plugging in a micro USB cable. So I have it charging while I'm at work. If this doesn't work I'm not sure if I should call Nest tech support or an HVAC repair guy. At least the former wouldn't cost me anything.

Another LTTAM related to the storm/power outages: Two of the traffic signals I pass through on my commute were out this morning, which caused lengthy backups as the intersections converted to four-way stops. So that made me late for work, so I have to stay late to make up for it.
Old 07 January 2019, 10:32 PM

I left my cell phone at work, and didn't realize it until I had already completed my commute home. I hope it's on my desk and will still be there tomorrow. I trust the custodial staff, I'm just worried I dropped it somewhere rather than leaving it in the classroom.

If I dropped it in the parking lot/road and it's destroyed or crushed, I can't get anything back from it, as I disabled the Cloud service since it was decimating my battery.

And I hate how frequently I keep getting the urge to reach for it to text someone/check something, etc
Old 08 January 2019, 01:53 AM

I'm impressed you got as far as you did without it. I've always had a talent for leaving my personal effects behind, but I'm so addicted to my phone I haven't managed to forget it in years. This, to me, does not seem like a good thing.
Old 08 January 2019, 03:07 PM

Apparently the Jesus-with-the-mumps rendition has raised quite a bit of money for the small town in which it's located. I'll if I can find the site.
Ah! Here we go!

Last edited by DawnStorm; 08 January 2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 08 January 2019, 07:33 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
this morning I turned off the breaker for the HVAC system, left it off for a few minutes, and turned it back on.
Well what do you know, it actually worked. I honestly wasn't all that optimistic. But I got home last night, reconnected the thermostat, and the furnace came on and stayed on until it reached the temperature I'd set, which is good because it was 59F inside my house when I got home, and no more errors about no power on any of the wires. The Nest complains that it's battery is too low to connect to WiFi, but it runs and in theory it should gradually recharge with power from the HVAC wires.
Old 08 January 2019, 08:35 PM

59F otherwise known as the room temperature at my house in the winter.
Old 09 January 2019, 12:24 AM

A drunk driving a gate post ran into the side of my truck this morning. I suppose since it was my gate post, I am responsible for the damage. It is 62 cents shy of $1100.00. Well I suppose since I was actually driving the truck and the gate post did not jump out of the way fast enough, it is my fault. BUT I WAS SOBER!
Old 09 January 2019, 12:56 AM

Vanishing

It took me a while to parse that first sentence. Heh. I gotta say, the best jokes are often the ones that start out as head scratchers and then just sort of sneak up on you out of nowhere. A real gate post of a joke, that one.
Old 09 January 2019, 04:24 PM

It took me a bit to parse, too. Good luck convincing insurance that the other driver is at fault, Richard.
Old 12 January 2019, 11:24 PM

I live in a townhouse community. The HOA is responsible for all exterior maintenance of the buildings. I don't care for that (I'd rather do all my own maintenance) but other factors made this a decent/affordable place to live, so I compromised and accepted it.

Last Sunday afternoon we got a notice on our doors, dated 1/6/19, that the buildings were scheduled to be painted and the painting would start in two weeks. We were instructed to remove Christmas lights and clear our patios so the painters could work. I figured okay, two weeks' notice is good, I have a lot of plants on my patio to move. The next morning I woke up to the sound of my house being pressured-washed, and discovered that landscapers had come through before I was awake and virtually destroyed my palm trees and decimated my butterfly garden. Everything is chopped down. I have no shade and no privacy and half my bushes are gone. I went outside and screamed and raised hell. I contacted the board president, who didn't give a NFBSK. In the ensuing week that the painters have been here (while I've been at work 10 hours a day and not home to supervise), they've broken the lid on my garbage bin, trampled and crushed the remaining plants in my garden, dripped paint on my walkway, left paper and litter and tools in my yard, and re-hung my house numbers in the wrong place. And they're not done painting yet. Fortunately I locked my screen door so they can't come into the enclosed patio where all my orchids and other plants are. I consider that my private property even if my HOA says otherwise when it comes to building maintenance, and at this point I'm so pissed off I'm ready to fight them if they insist that it must be painted.

I've lived here for three years and the HOA has honestly been pretty cool until now; the fees are low and we're allowed to have house decorations and plants and things. At least twice a year the landscapers get careless with my bushes, but nothing to the extent that they did this week. And my palm trees might never recover because they were trimmed incorrectly in a way that is likely to permanently damage them. I've documented this with photos and am prepared to send my HOA a bill for damages if necessary.

I can't wait until I can afford a detached house where no one can legally come onto my property without my permission. I would never hire someone to paint or do landscaping because I can do it myself correctly and cleanly.
Old 13 January 2019, 12:58 AM

Reading that raised my blood pressure, Cervus; I have never heard a "good HOA" story and this just iced the cake. I sincerely hope that you get the recompense and satisfaction you deserve after this is over.