snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 December 2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
One of my co-workers just found out I don't drink coffee or tea and asked me how I stay awake on my graveyard shift. I ignored my real answer (it's when I'm naturally awake) and went with "I mainline Coke Zero! "
As someone else who is naturally awake late but forced to work mostly daylight hours, mainlining Coke Zero is how I get through the days.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:20 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I don't suppose anyone here knows anything else about them? Were they perhaps something that was given to Aeroflot pilots or other employees? Or to passengers, perhaps? I wonder if they were made to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Aeroflot's first flight in 1984?
I don't know much about these. But I did get onto Amazon, Etsy and ebay and saw that Russian lapel pins for their various aircraft are quite common. A google image search for "russian aircraft lapel pins" turned up dozens of examples, but sadly, not for the ones you have.

Very nice find.

ETA: even better - "soviet aircraft lapel pins"
Old 30 December 2018, 03:22 AM

I've seen a lot of similar pins in aviation museum gift shops. As far as I know, they are just souvenirs for people with an interest in a particular aircraft. We used to buy them and put them inside our wedges, often to commemorate certain trips or camps. I seem to recall I had a Tutor for a long time.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:38 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
As someone else who is naturally awake late but forced to work mostly daylight hours, mainlining Coke Zero is how I get through the days.
Yeah. I have co-workers who regularly arrive at 5 AM. I find that akin to magic; how do they get up every day at 3 or 4 AM?!

I'm very grateful I found a job I can do well that lets me work my normal awake time.
Old 30 December 2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I'm on a local "[Town] Good Karma Network" Facebook group and last week I posted a comment saying "Hey we should have an 'Unwanted Christmas gift exchange' event so people can get rid of the Christmas presents they don't want to prevent them just sitting and gathering dust or being thrown out." A couple dozen people expressed interest so I posted a poll so people could indicate which day would best suit them, and of course there was no one particular day that suited everyone. Also some people apparently didn't get any gifts at Christmas but other people said they'd be happy to give them something and not get anything in return. So it looks like I'm hosting gatherings in a local park over the next four days where people may or may not turn up, and may or may not bring an unwanted gift to exchange. Everything might turn out awesomely or I could be left sitting in a park by myself for hours or there could be fistfights over the best unwanted presents.
Update: I eventually ended up making two separate FB events for Saturday and Sunday afternoons because those were the days that a majority of people said they preferred ............ and I ended up sitting alone in the park for an hour both days. Out of the roughly 200 people who responded to the original post and the dozens who said "I'm in!" not a single one turned up.

Oh well, I tried! I'll take all my unwanted gifts to the opp shop instead.
Old 01 January 2019, 12:55 PM

Whalephant

Re: cardboard mammoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I made every part of the head except the tusks. Some other guys are making the body and it's .... uh .... let's just say it's not quite as palaeontologically accurate as the head.
Okay, the original plan when I started making the mammoth head was that it was going to be up on legs and four people would be inside it carrying it, holding the body at about shoulder height. Just as I was finishing the head they decided they wanted to have someone riding on top of the mammoth (they had some professional stunt people available) so they changed the design so that it would roll on big cardboard wheels. Instead of building some sort of chassis that would attach the wheels to the body they decided to just attach the axles to the mammoth's body. See if you can guess where this is going ......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsE-FU0lDgz/

It's a munchkin mammoth with teensy little stubby feet poking out the side! It looks like Dougal from The Magic Roundabout. Also they didn't put any ears on it. It was also supposed to have a big mammothy hump just behind the head which I actually saw them build but it looks like they decided not to attach it, so the mammoth's body ended up looking really square.

I was over 1600 km away on the other side of the continent so there was absolutely nothing I could do about any of this. I sent them a text message the day before telling them not to forget the ears and they obviously ignored that. I also asked them to text me a photo when it was assembled but they ignored that as well, I had to go searching for photos via Google to see how it turned out.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 01 January 2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01 January 2019, 04:12 PM

Frying Pan

I found a video of the mammoth triumphantly charging into battle .... errr .... well okay, getting stuck and then left behind by everyone else and then torn apart by the audience. All those weeks of work and it takes them almost exactly 20 seconds to stomp it flat.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/vide...-201819/63932/

(I have no idea if this link will work outside Australia)
Old 01 January 2019, 04:21 PM

Oh good grief. That beautifully detailed almost-complete head with a box stuck on the back of it --

we know that what's going on is the difference between your work and theirs; but it looks very much as if there was, say, ten days to work on it and somebody spent nine and a half of them working on the head and then suddenly realized that they were out of time.
Old 01 January 2019, 06:01 PM

I will feel really good about myself if I can pay down a significant amount of my student loan debt this year.

I just did an overpayment this morning that should fully pay off one (small, but with a high interest rate) loan. I won't realistically be able to pay everything off this year, especially since I don't know what kind of work I'll have come the fall, but I just want there to be a noticeable difference. If I can get down into the low 30's that would be a solid accomplishment. Upper 20s would be ideal within realism.
Old 02 January 2019, 02:36 AM

good luck, mbravo. Gutter Monkey, I feel like the rest totally let you down. Maybe next year someone can just hire you to make the whole project, and give you a bit more time.
Old 03 January 2019, 05:48 PM

I've been on vacation for the past two weeks and although I got home Tuesday night, my jet lag is so bad I woke up this morning convinced it was the year 2021.

I'm working today and a client had an issue about something that happened in 2017. I was like, "That's four years ago, how am I supposed to remember that?" And then it took a long time for me to convince myself it is not 2021 yet.
Old 06 January 2019, 09:35 AM

Whalephant

I was telling a co-worker that I am currently embroiled in a battle with my cat over who gets the couch. I said "my argument is 'who bought it? ' Unfortunately hers is " who's the cute kitty? "

My co-worker, a male in his twenties, said "yeah, I don't think you can beat that one".
Old 06 January 2019, 03:13 PM

Delayed response to well-wishes earlier in the thread: thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I am both sorry and glad youíll be getting out from under that stinking shadow
Those three months of being employed-but-not-employed did mess with my head. Aside from the obvious financial advantage of continuing to get a paycheck, it might actually have been worse than when I was laid off from my previous job, effective immediately.it

And in hindsight, I was never really happy in that job, and should have left a long time ago. I did love, and will miss, the things that came along with working there, especially working on the downtown campus.
Old 07 January 2019, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Today I saw a car cut across two lanes of traffic to the left to get out of the collector-distributor, only to cut across two lanes of traffic to the right at the end of the bypass. Methinks (hopes) this is someone new to Seattle who isn't aware the c-d rejoins the freeway.

I baked pull-apart bread yesterday (not this recipe), and it is already falling apart. I think I need more sugar to glue it together properly once it cools.

Seaboe
Old 07 January 2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Those three months of being employed-but-not-employed did mess with my head. Aside from the obvious financial advantage of continuing to get a paycheck, it might actually have been worse than when I was laid off from my previous job, effective immediately.
Iíve been in that sort of relationship with the Navy for a while now and I havenít been able to do anything really useful in over a year. The up side is, I will be getting at least temporary medical retirement benefits when I finally am out (March now). The down side is... I had to spend the last 18 months or so marking time, generally feeling useless and further entrenching my viewpoint that there is no point to anything.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:03 PM

That's frustrating. I found a certain degree of immediate relief once the 90 days was over; here's hoping you'll see some when you're out of the Navy.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
IThe up side is, I will be getting at least temporary medical retirement benefits when I finally am out (March now).
ASL, do you have a definite date?

That's great if so.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:27 PM

I do, yes. I’ve finally finished navigating the Navy's disability evaluation system, at least up to the point of finally getting orders to separate/retire. Not sure how the whole follow-on care thing works.
Old 08 January 2019, 02:02 PM

Good at least to finally have something definite.
Old 10 January 2019, 11:39 PM

I just got a text message from some random person saying they want to discuss buying my house, which is not for sale. The somewhat scary thing is that the person addressed me by my correct first name and mentioned my address. I supposed they could have gotten that information from public records. I recall hearing something recently about scammers who target homeowners in the Bay Area, typically elderly people who bought their homes decades ago before home values got crazy high. They'll make a low ball offer on their home, aggressively pressure them into selling with scare tactics like how they'd better sell now before the next recession, so they can turn around and flip the house for a profit. I wonder if this was something like that. I'm not elderly but I did buy during the last recession, so my house is worth much more than I paid for it now.