snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 December 2018, 03:37 PM

Several of the websites I use to pay various monthly bills redesigned their websites to the point that I couldn't find where to go to pay my bill. I had to use their site search function to get a link to the actual payment portal on one of the sites, and on the other I had to click through several more steps than before to get to the payment access. I'm trying to give you money.
Old 02 December 2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I almost put this in "commercials you hate" but it's not an actual commercial, just a general marketing gimmick: What's with the trend of slapping the label "tactical" on any piece of outdoor gear, like camping equipment and such. I bought a pair of those hiking pants with zip off legs, and the company that makes them labeled them "tactical pants". I've also seen ads online for something that claims to be a "tactical flashlight". I suppose the idea is to sound vaguely military, and therefore cooler or better quality, I guess. But to me it just sounds kind of silly. What tactic will these pants help me with? Confusing the enemy by having long pants on one minute, and shorts the next?
Tactical pants does sound silly. I guess the tactic is to not be stuck in pants if you get hot? It seems like it's meant to appeal to preppers and police/military wannabes. Sometimes I like the features of some of the things labeled that way -- like I saw a "tactical fleece" that had lots of pockets. Which makes me think of a related thing that annoys me. Often those things only come in black, tan and olive drab. They aren't actually military gear. People who like colors can also like pockets.

I can tell you what makes the flashlight a tactical flashlight though. I have a couple. The front of the flashlight has a shape that is ridged in a way that would make it more effective as a weapon. It's not exactly sharp, but would hurt if you jammed it against a knee, face or some other areas. I didn't buy it for that, but I don't mind having that feature.
Old 02 December 2018, 04:27 PM

Military

I think it appeals to weekend survivalists and the sort of people who get the Gadsden flag llicense plates for their car. They want to look tough, but still work an office or retail job five days a week. You know, the guy or gal at your place of work who you might describe as generally pleasant, except they can’t stop talking about whatever YouTube conspiracy video they just sa and uses lines like "I’m not saying I believe it, I’m just saying it raises some questions that I think are worth answering." They also take every opportunity they can to remind you they have a "go" bag for when "shit gets real." How will you, one of their yuppie, sheeple co-workers know shit is ABOUT to get real? It’ll be the day your co-worker doesn’t show up to work, doesn’t even phone in sick. Look for them in... idk, Utah?

Anyways, I thinks it’s one of those subculture things. Like goth or emo.

Last edited by ASL; 02 December 2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 02 December 2018, 06:23 PM

I love those trousers with zip-off legs - they're great for walking or for going on holiday to hot places and packing light. I have several pairs (thanks to changing waist size and occasionally not being able to find them when I need them). I don't think they sell them as "tactical" here much, though! I can't remember how they're described.
Old 02 December 2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Which makes me think of a related thing that annoys me. Often those things only come in black, tan and olive drab. They aren't actually military gear. People who like colors can also like pockets.
For some reason, raincoats and super-warm winter coats often are available only in earth tones. As a pedestrian, the last thing I need is to dress in black, gray or cream.
Old 02 December 2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I love those trousers with zip-off legs - they're great for walking or for going on holiday to hot places and packing light. I have several pairs (thanks to changing waist size and occasionally not being able to find them when I need them). I don't think they sell them as "tactical" here much, though! I can't remember how they're described.
I like them because I can wear the same pair of pants regardless of what time of year it is.
Old 03 December 2018, 11:28 AM

Flame

Quote:
I almost put this in "commercials you hate" but it's not an actual commercial, just a general marketing gimmick: What's with the trend of slapping the label "tactical" on any piece of outdoor gear, like camping equipment and such. I bought a pair of those hiking pants with zip off legs, and the company that makes them labeled them "tactical pants". I've also seen ads online for something that claims to be a "tactical flashlight". I suppose the idea is to sound vaguely military, and therefore cooler or better quality, I guess. But to me it just sounds kind of silly. What tactic will these pants help me with? Confusing the enemy by having long pants on one minute, and shorts the next?
At the place where I'm currently working we use hot glue guns constantly and it's not uncommon to have 200 deg celsius/390 deg F hot glue drip onto your skin and burn the ^%&^%&* out of you. The other guys tend to flail around and panic trying to find something nearby to wipe the glue onto and remove it as quickly as possible but I always make sure I'm wearing an old pair of paint-spattered work pants so I know I can just wipe the hot glue off on my pants automatically, to the point that I pretty much do it by reflex now without having to stop and think about it. I guess wearing those pants is a tactical choice??
Old 03 December 2018, 03:11 PM

I guess stripper pants, the kind you can just rip off you, could also be tactical pants?

"I need to swim this river!"
*rip*
"Good thing I had my tactical pants on!"
Old 03 December 2018, 03:37 PM

GM, I think my tactical choice would be not only long pants but also long sleeves, gloves, and depending on body position relative to the glue job a face shield when needed.
Old 03 December 2018, 04:34 PM

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I guess stripper pants, the kind you can just rip off you, could also be tactical pants?
Typically what I've seen referred to as "tactical" is clothing with a cut similar to the US military's circa-2000 BDUs (the sort of camies worn by the US Army during the first couple years of the Iraq War) but with solid colors like khaki, olive drab, black, gray, etc instead of a camouflage pattern. And pockets. Lots of pockets. Oh, and wider belt loops.

See below for a typical example of the trousers:

I don't think "tactical" tops are quite as common.
Old 03 December 2018, 07:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I guess stripper pants, the kind you can just rip off you,
IME, these are called tear-away pants.

Seaboe
Old 04 December 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
GM, I think my tactical choice would be not only long pants but also long sleeves, gloves, and depending on body position relative to the glue job a face shield when needed.
One of the guys spilled some hot glue on his hand the other day and after he'd washed it off he had some huge puffy blisters, it's the worst.

I always try to avoid holding the tip of the glue gun over any part of my body when I'm gluing (just the same as you never cut towards you with a knife, you always use a guard when you're cutting on a bench saw, etc etc) but I guess these young fellers who've never worked in a workshop before still need to learn that lesson. Looks like it's taking a while for it to sink in.
Old 04 December 2018, 12:29 AM

So yesterday I was listening to the Public Radio program Reveal about domestic terrorism. They were talking about, I think, the shooter at the Pittsburgh Synagogue (I had it on in the background and was really only half paying attention). But because of this thread I did note that they specifically mentioned that the shooter was wearing a "tactical vest". I assume that really just means a vest with a lot of pockets, which the shooter probably used to carry extra clips of ammo.
Old 04 December 2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
IME, these are called tear-away pants.

Seaboe
A few years go I spent all of autumn and most of winter in a toes-to-knee cast after I injured my leg in an accident, and while it was every bit as unpleasant as it sounds, the ordeal was made all the less comfortable by my wearing shorts to accommodate the bulky cast. It never in all that time occurred to me that a product like this could make my life much easier and warmer, even though I'm well aware of the "stripper ripping off their pants" trope. I expected the reviews to be filled with jokes and comments about their entertainment potential and instead found countless people with injuries or ailments who were much smarter than I was.
Old 05 December 2018, 12:58 AM

Baseball

Quote:
So yesterday I was listening to the Public Radio program Reveal about domestic terrorism. They were talking about, I think, the shooter at the Pittsburgh Synagogue (I had it on in the background and was really only half paying attention). But because of this thread I did note that they specifically mentioned that the shooter was wearing a "tactical vest". I assume that really just means a vest with a lot of pockets, which the shooter probably used to carry extra clips of ammo.
There is ambiguity.

In some circles, a "tactical vest" is body armour without the plates, meaning, it will stop knives and edge weapons, perhaps slow velocity firearms, but not rifles etc. Essentially, a kevlar vest.

In other circles, it is a vest designed for easy access to ammunition and other equipment that is essentially clipped onto your body. A photo vest with plenty of pockets would not be a tactical vest, but one that a hunter might carry could be.

So, in the Reveal piece, he might be wearing one or the other (or even both).

**For the record, our military calls the vest we use for ammo, water, communications, first aid, navigation and illumination a tactical vest.
Old 05 December 2018, 11:21 AM

I much prefer tacky vests

Old 05 December 2018, 01:36 PM

Those are all whacktical vests.
Old 05 December 2018, 02:24 PM

Facebook

LTTAM: my Facebook feed bringing up friends' comments on FB pages which only allow members to comment, so if it's an interesting conversation I can't join in unless I apply to become a member of the page

Nope!

Edit: ooh, another LTTAM: I'm currently working in a factory that doesn't have airconditioning and the forecast for the next two days is 35 deg C /95 F followed by 38 C / 100 F, and in hot weather the inside of the factory gets even hotter than the outside temp. I'm thinking about skipping Friday and coming in on Saturday instead.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 05 December 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08 December 2018, 01:43 PM

France

As a postman in charge of sorting the mail, whether manually or by machines, I have window envelopes in horror. Sometimes the address (printed on the letter) is too low, sometimes too high, sometimes too to the left, sometimes too to the right. In any case, the machines can't read them, the videocoders can't code them, and the guy (or girl) charge with sorting them by hand have to tap them a few times in order to see where the hell they go. It's really frustrating not to be able to do the job I'm paid to do.
Old 08 December 2018, 10:12 PM

I've been having far too many work-related dreams lately. I've just had two in the past 12 hours (One just before I got up this morning for work, and another when I came home and took a nap.)