snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 21 November 2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I never got an explanation on why things went so badly off the rails.

Also I'm really really not surprised that the guy who screwed all this up was no longer with the company and had either quit to escape his responsibilities or been fired, he was deeply incompetent.
I think you might have just answered your own question.

-- glad in any case that it's straightened out now. (I just hope that it actually is -- )
Old 21 November 2018, 03:59 PM

Yeah, keep names and dates of the people who said it was fixed, in case it turns out to be unfixed later, but good luck.
Old 23 November 2018, 11:55 PM

The weekend before last I placed an order from Amazon which contained three items. The order was delayed because Amazon's local fulfillment center was closed due to the wildfires in California. Two of the three items did get delivered last week. The third item still hasn't arrived. Amazon claims they attempted to deliver it, but were unable to deliver it because "the building was closed". That doesn't even make sense -- this is a detached single family house. It's never closed. In fact one of the other items was delivered on the day they claim to have attempted to deliver it. I wasn't home at the time, but they could have left it on the porch or hidden it behind the screen door like the other item.
Old 24 November 2018, 01:13 AM

We spent a few days with my MIL and some other family. MIL has very expensive hearing aids, which she tells us about all the time. She doesn't wear them, so she doesn't know people are talking, so either ignores them or talks over them. She doesn't hear questions, so sort of makes up answers to what she thinks people might have asked. I asked if she wanted another soda since I was getting some, and she answered that she had always had dogs when she was a child. She then got upset (but only let my wife know hours later) that I had gotten everyone else a drink but not her.

That on top of the fact that MIL is basically a toddler who gets jealous when my wife pays attention to others (like to our kids), and I really, really wish we could avoid MIL, but my wife feels bad that MIL has basically alienated a lot of her family, and has no friends since she is pretty miserable person to be near.

But, all it all it was a very nice holiday with the other relatives.
Old 24 November 2018, 02:20 AM

Does your MIL have dementia? Because not being able to hear can seriously exacerbate it. I have issues with my grandmother (who's quite hard of hearing and has mild dementia) deciding not to wear her hearing aids all too often.
Old 24 November 2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Does your MIL have dementia? Because not being able to hear can seriously exacerbate it. I have issues with my grandmother (who's quite hard of hearing and has mild dementia) deciding not to wear her hearing aids all too often.
Also some ear and hearing issues in old age can bring on dementia like behaviours and symptoms.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:03 PM

I missed a parcel delivery and a notice was left telling me it was left with my next door neighbour.

The parcel was not left with that neighbour. Nor was it left with the neighbour two doors down. I don't think the next door neighbour on the other side has been home for days.

I trust my neighbours (the person next door is a nice old lady) so nobody would have stolen it.

So I've got an undelivered delivery and I have no idea where it is because the damn DPD delivery person couldn't be bothered to properly check the house number where they dropped it off.
Old 25 November 2018, 05:35 PM

Cleaning up and getting part of the place actually looking quite nice and liveable and then other inhabitants drop piles of papers and carry-around junk smack dab in the center of it and your motivation to clean any other room diminishes tenfold.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:33 AM

Vanishing

We've got a housemate moving out so we need to find someone else to sign onto the lease and come live with us and pay 1/3 of the rent which is always a stressful time. If you make the wrong choice then your peaceful house might become a hellhouse for the next few years!! This time around it's even more annoying because the other housemate went on a trip to Europe for a month that ended a few weeks after the other housemate moved out so we weren't able to interview prospective new housemates until he got back. Now that he's back it's not going well, we just can't seem to coordinate our days so that we're both at home at the same time to meet with people so prospective housemates have had to attend two meetings to meet both of us. I met with one guy who seemed great but so far he's blown off two arranged meetings with the other housemate which has pretty much ruined his chances.

We're getting awfully close to the end of the month and it would have been nice to resolve all this before December's rent is due because I'm not sure I can afford to cover it if we haven't found someone else by then, and even if I can scrape the money together it'll probably mean:

(Footnotes: the housemate moving out gave us two months notice, the housemate who went overseas probably booked that trip months ago)
Old 26 November 2018, 03:22 PM

LLTAM:

This board was down for me both last night and earlier this morning. I thought I had a link somewhere for an emergency backup, found it, went over to the reddit page, and discovered Morrigan had posted to ask if it was down for anyone else. So I tried to create a reddit account so I could answer.

First I had to go through multiple rounds of trying to figure out why it wasn't allowing me to do so, complete with captchas each time; eventually I figured out that apparently my username here is already taken there, which seemed kind of implausible, so I tried getting them to email me a password on the chance that I'd created one earlier and forgotten about it. Two more rounds of captchas later, I conclude that probably it's not me after all, as the site doesn't seem to like either email address I might have used; though it doesn't say that, it just gives me a generic error message.

So I succeed, finally, (more captchas) in creating an account, using a different username. And I then go over to the page to answer Morrigan -- and get told to log in. Only I keep getting told that the username and password I just created don't match . . .

And I try refreshing snopes again; and the board's back up. The whole mess was unnecessary; except that reddit probably now has two of my email addresses, which I kind of wish that they didn't.

tl; dr. If the board ever actually disappears, I'm going to try creating a straight dope account and starting a thread there.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:40 PM

Icon101

Every now and then, I go through what I call my Patrick Star Phase in which I do really stupid stuff like putting washer fluid in the receptacle that holds the anti-freeze because I honestly thought that the washer fluid was antifreeze. Then there's the brain fart I had regarding an Excel function that I've done a million times. Ugh! And the misunderstanding about where to meet a friend because I misread his text.
Last week was one such week.
Old 26 November 2018, 04:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I missed a parcel delivery and a notice was left telling me it was left with my next door neighbour.
Before Thanksgiving, I came home to discover two Amazon delivery boxes in my carport. That's weird in itself, because Amazon normally delivers to my front porch (I guess in this case the driver didn't want to go through the gate and climb the stairs). Even weirder, these were not my packages. They were addressed to a neighbor who is across the street. So far as I know, they did not leave my neighbors a note. Certainly, when I went to tell them they had packages in my carport, they seemed quite surprised.

Seaboe
Old 26 November 2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The third item still hasn't arrived. Amazon claims they attempted to deliver it, but were unable to deliver it because "the building was closed".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I missed a parcel delivery and a notice was left telling me it was left with my next door neighbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Before Thanksgiving, I came home to discover two Amazon delivery boxes in my carport. That's weird in itself, because Amazon normally delivers to my front porch (I guess in this case the driver didn't want to go through the gate and climb the stairs).
I have noticed a distinct falling off in Amazon delivery customer service quality as they have gone more and more with GIG economy part-time delivery drivers. We had a recent package delivered that if we had not had the tracking app up and running, we likely would not have found as the package was thrown/hidden in hedge bushes near the front of our driveway where we have never had packages placed before.

All other deliveries have either been to our mailbox on the street or our easily accessible front door up the modest 20'-25' driveway. But, this amateur delivery driver decided that shrubbery about 8' up the driveway was a preferred placement. The cherry on top that squarely puts this in the poor customer service category, is that the driver reported to Amazon and thus us through the delivery app that the package had been handed to a resident at our address. This was not true as we were actually waiting at the door since the app had told us the delivery was imminent.
Old 26 November 2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The third item still hasn't arrived.
As an update to this, now they say it was damaged in shipping and they're issuing a refund. So I re-ordered the item on Saturday and it arrived the next day.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I have noticed a distinct falling off in Amazon delivery customer service quality as they have gone more and more with GIG economy part-time delivery drivers. We had a recent package delivered that if we had not had the tracking app up and running, we likely would not have found as the package was thrown/hidden in hedge bushes near the front of our driveway where we have never had packages placed before.
I get things delivered to a mailbox service, not my apartment, so I haven't had any issues there, but I have noticed that my packages are more likely to be banged up when they arrive. Mostly I don't really care if a Blu-Ray box has a little crack in it or the cardboard box is dented, but it's definitely noticeable.
Old 27 November 2018, 12:44 AM

I've had pretty good luck with getting Amazon packages lately, but they're still evil, so I'm trying to buy from sellers directly when I can. Last week I bought a pricey thing I need before December 8. It was also available on Amazon (with Prime shipping, even) but I bought it from the company's website, hoping it would arrive in time. I still haven't gotten my confirmation that it shipped, and I'm just a wee bit nervous.
Old 27 November 2018, 01:33 AM

Well, this is kind of a busy weekend for them.
Old 27 November 2018, 06:58 AM

We have a delivery box in front of our door, a metal box with a door and a lock that you can lock by just pushing a button but you need a key to open once is has been locked. We did install it especially for taking online order deliveries. It always worked with nearly all delivery services, including those that used to be used by Amazon.

Recently, we started getting Amazon purches delivered by Amazon's own delivery service - and they don't use the box. I tried to find a way to declare my delivery preferences, but I found you can only do that when you make an order (although you can then click a box that says "remeber this for further orders"). So I waited for my next order, only to find that the option "leave in a save place" has three suboptions, none of which is "leave in the delivery box" (they've got "garage", "terrace/backdoor" and another one I can't remember).

I've been meaning to give Amazon deliveries feedback about this, but I can't find a feedback-button, either.
Old 27 November 2018, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've had pretty good luck with getting Amazon packages lately, but they're still evil.
I hope you consider them evil for specific actions, and not simply because they're a large corporation.

Seaboe
Old 27 November 2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I've been meaning to give Amazon deliveries feedback about this, but I can't find a feedback-button, either.
Which is ironic, because Amazon is constantly pestering me to provide feedback, albeit usually about the actual product or Marketplace vendors, not the delivery service.