snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 November 2018, 12:17 AM

My wife found a recipe for gluten-free pumpkin spice cookies, which was INCREDIBLE. Tasty and light and fluffy whilst still being a bit crunchy, and none of the usual mouth-feel issues of non-wheat flour which have plagued her trials in the gluten-free baking world. On the bad side: yet another rising threat to our weight and blood sugar issues.... Dietary restrictions had been such a help, the last few years...
Old 07 November 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
My wife found a recipe for gluten-free pumpkin spice cookies, which was INCREDIBLE. Tasty and light and fluffy whilst still being a bit crunchy, and none of the usual mouth-feel issues of non-wheat flour which have plagued her trials in the gluten-free baking world. On the bad side: yet another rising threat to our weight and blood sugar issues.... Dietary restrictions had been such a help, the last few years...
Please please share! Mrs Off is also GF and would appreciate a good cookie recipie!
Old 08 November 2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Please please share! Mrs Off is also GF and would appreciate a good cookie recipie!
You got it!

2.5 cups gluten-free flour (OK, this may be a sticking point: we buy this from A & J Bakery, and I'm not sure how it compares to other kinds of gluten-free flours. Sorry!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
.5 tsp. nutmeg
.5 tsp. salt
1.5 cups granulated sugar
.5 cups butter, softened
1 cup pure pumpkin
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

-Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick baking spray.
-Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl.
-Beat sugar and butter with mixer on medium high speed, then blend in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until incorporated.
-Gradually mix in flour and dry ingredients. The dough will be pretty sticky!
-Refrigerate dough for 3-4 hours (This will reduce stickiness somewhat).
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Using a cookie dough scoop or your hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in powdered sugar, and place on baking sheet (12 per sheet).
-Bake for 11-13 minutes.
-Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack. When completely cool, store cookies in an airtight container.

I believe this made about 3-4 dozen cookie, counting the ones I ate

A quick check of A & J Bakery's site shows that, while most of their product distribution is in RI and MA, there are a few other locations in Poughkeepsie and Wappinger, NY; Montclair and Voorhees Township, NJ, and Wexford, PA. You can also order products online, and their All-Purpose Flour is currently on sale for $7.49 per 2-pound bag. Ah! Ingredients:

Quote:
Our original blend of flour now available for you to take home and make your own favorite treats. With the xanthan gum already included, our flour has a one to one ratio. Comes in a 2 lb bag.

INGREDIENTS: Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Rice Flour, Corn Starch, Corn Flour, Xanthan Gum

Contains: No Major Allergens

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Crius of CoH; 08 November 2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08 November 2018, 10:09 PM

Very helpful! We’ll give it a spin and report back!
Old 11 November 2018, 03:15 AM

Got a Roku Streaming Stick+ in anticipation of signing up for the DC Universe streaming service; figured it would be worth learning how to use it and it's capabilities before actually needing it. Something like $50 from Amazon. Install easy on a modern smart TV; "hard" part was having to set up a Roku account and then redo the login/password info for our wifi, Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts for the Roku.

Immediate and obvious benefit: our TV, which is 4K capable, can now finally show 4K material through the Roku. None of our other inputs to the TV - including the "smart" portion of the TV itself - are able to input 4K media.

Second obvious benefit: far superior Netflix access. Both the version of Netflix on our TV and the one we usually use through our Samsung Bluray/sound system are prone to sudden seizures and rebuffering, and video quality can often be visibly subpar (pixellated shadows/darks, etc.). The Roku version is slick as sh- er, butter and clear as day.

Downside: Yet another remote control. Wah-wah.

Well worth the while.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I bought a nice ceramic candy bowl -green with a spider on one side- at Safeway for $2.25 plus tax. I love how they just go to 75% off after the holiday is over.
A few years ago I went on a spree buying up the wrapping paper at CVS after New Year's was over. SO thought it was a silly thing to do but I saved a good deal come the next holiday season.
Old 15 November 2018, 12:14 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
A few years ago I went on a spree buying up the wrapping paper at CVS after New Year's was over. SO thought it was a silly thing to do but I saved a good deal come the next holiday season.
I love grabbing things cheap for the next holiday.
Old 15 November 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I love grabbing things cheap for the next holiday.
That was how I got my artificial Christmas tree -- I bought it around New Years for half the original price. And I've come to call the day after Valentine's Day "Half Price Chocolate Day".
Old 15 November 2018, 12:42 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That was how I got my artificial Christmas tree -- I bought it around New Years for half the original price. And I've come to call the day after Valentine's Day "Half Price Chocolate Day".
No no no. It's St. Markdown Day.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've come to call the day after Valentine's Day "Half Price Chocolate Day".
There are two or three of those: the day after Halloween's another, and right after Christmas is pretty close to a third.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
No no no. It's St. Markdown Day.
Going to use that from now on!
Old 15 November 2018, 12:31 PM

My wife got a LOT of steam-punk costume stuff on November 2, at half price. It should make the fairs next year more fun.
Old 17 November 2018, 02:51 AM

Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
There are two or three of those: the day after Halloween's another, and right after Christmas is pretty close to a third.
Add in Easter, for left over Peeps, chocolate bunnies, and peanut butter eggs.
Old 19 November 2018, 06:43 PM

Glasses

Exploring the clearance shelves at the grocery store makes me happy. Even when I don't buy anything.

Seaboe
Old 20 November 2018, 04:53 PM

Yow!

This past Saturday I bought a practically new wheelchair for DH at the Salvation Army store. Its original price is $2500. I purchased it for $150.
DH loves it.

ETA: I'm able to get a replacement for the gas tank door (panel?) and it will not be that expensive.
Old 22 November 2018, 06:35 PM

Today there's an 80% off sale on Kindle books; I picked up a virtual handful of titles, which was nice, but right at the beginning was a book that's also on the D&D "Inspirational Reading" list, John Bellairs' The Face In The Frost, so even better!
Old 23 November 2018, 01:52 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Exploring the clearance shelves at the grocery store makes me happy. Even when I don't buy anything.

Seaboe
Those are always fun to poke around in.

When we took the monorail from the Tickets and Transportation Center to Epcot last week we spotted a live deer below us.

Also, as a result of that trip I now have a lenticular photo of me that shifts from a regular photo to a ghost me.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:25 PM

Driver

The replacement lid for my gas tank is in and ready to be put on my car.
Old 28 November 2018, 03:23 PM

Glasses

I slept well for three nights in a row. Under normal circumstances, sleeping well is not unusual, or particularly noteworthy, but I can't sleep on my back or right side at the moment, which means I've been waking up a lot. Plus, I spent Thanksgiving in a hotel, and I never sleep as well in a hotel as I do at home. So three nights in a row of good sleep makes me very happy.

Seaboe
Old 01 December 2018, 12:47 AM

A couple of things, and I'd already planned to put the first one here before the second one happened (I should probably restart a diary to write the second one - I don't like to be too personal here, but whatever).

I'm starting a new job on Monday (that's neither of the things that made me happy, because I'm still unsure of it, but I hope it's a good thing all the same). I've been out with friends for drinks to celebrate before this, but none of them were around tonight, and I fancied a final night of freedom - as it were - so headed for town on my own. I didn't go anywhere I wouldn't usually go.

I went to a bar in town that does good beer and pizza. Got a pint of something I like, and sat at the back (downstairs) to read my book and drink my pint. While doing this, two things happened.

One was that a cover band started to play upstairs; the other was that some guy walked past on his way back from the loos and told me that the book I was reading, whose cover he'd seen on the way past (still Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine), had "sent him on a journey". He recommended another book to me on its back (this one; Confessions of an Economic Hitman; no idea what it's about apart from the recommendation of somebody who had a similar opinion of The Shock Doctrine to mine).

The second of those things was the first thing that made me happy. (In that I thought of posting it here). I've miscounted, though - there were three things.

After this, the cover band upstairs played something by Madness that I liked, and I moved upstairs with my book. I sat at the back in the corner, as I usually do, but in this venue, the back corner is by the staircase so everybody walks past on their way up and down. There was a man - an eccentric character, in English terms - walking about in a flat cap and scarf, and being generally gregarious. He also asked what I was reading so I showed him and he said something (I couldn't hear, because the band was playing) and we agreed in sign language that the cover band was good, and he went away to talk to others. I had the impression that he knew the people in the band, but I wasn't sure; I don't spend enough time in this bar to recognise the regulars - it's a new bar, I'm as much a regular as anybody else! - and I didn't recognise either the band, or him.

A bit later, the band had a break. Towards the end of the break, the bloke in the scarf went to one of the microphones, and started reading from a copy of On The Road by Jack Kerouac. He gave his introduction about the reading clearly enough, but the reading itself was incomprehensible to start with - he was mumbling away with his mouth far too close to the microphone; I put my book down and started to pay attention because I thought it might be interesting, but I couldn't even hear what he was saying.

A couple of the guys from the band were sitting at the table in front of me, and after a minute or two of looking dubious, the guitarist shrugged and got up and picked up his guitar and started to play some notes against the bloke talking. The rest of the band turned up one at a time from wherever they'd been and also joined in. The guy reading found a line or two that served as a chorus and refrain ("Who was in that car?", and another one) and had a surprisingly good singing voice, and then found some more lyrics that he wasn't reading but that fitted. The keyboard player also had a violin that he was using. It was good enough, with the way they all turned up one at a time and joined in to play something spontaneous and fantastic, to make me wonder if it had all been rehearsed after all - but no, from talking to the bassist and the Kerouac guy afterwards, they didn't know each other and it was impromptu.

To me, that shows how good live musicians and live music can be - so many people playing cover songs in pubs can do so much more, but don't get the chance, or don't like to try. I was glad that I'd seen this happen and that it made me happy. (Hence thread). That was the second thing, but the first thing from the start of this thread (I'd forgotten about the guy liking The Shock Doctrine. ... The Kerouac guy asked what I was reading, but we had the "Wolf?" / "Klein" confusion; was glad to find I'm not the only person who used to muddle up those two. Either way he'd not heard of it.)

The third thing was that during the band's second cover set, a woman called Emma turned up with some friends and bought me a drink and we ended up swapping numbers, and I quite liked her and she wants me to go round hers at some point for a roast dinner. (Assuming she still does want that when she's sober). Which also sounded a good idea, but random women chatting me up in pubs doesn't happen very often... more often than I'd think, perhaps, but rarely when I'm in the mood to be chatted up and also like them. So that's another thing that kind of makes me happy, but that perhaps I shouldn't mention.

What with starting this new job on Monday, and looming no-deal Brexit, there's a lot of weird scary stuff happening. I'm glad to find that some of it still makes me happy.

Last edited by Richard W; 01 December 2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Wolf in this context has only one f.