snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 15 August 2018, 01:52 PM

Icon81 Of DVTs Part Two

The past three weeks of my life has been an ordeal what with finding out about a monster DVT in my left leg and being treated for that. Remember the expensive meds the hospital prescribed? It was not working, a fact found out when I saw my doctor a week ago. I'd taken Pearl for a walk the evening before; halfway through, my leg started hurting and by the next morning, it was swollen to twice the size of my other leg. Think elephant leg next to a giraffe leg. After work I went to my doctor, thinking she would just tell me to stay off of it. Nope. She determined that the Xeralto was not working as it should, told me to stop taking it, and ordered up an injectable anti-coagulant that was a bitch to obtain because I needed a higher dose than what my pharmacy carried. Plus she referred me to a hematologist. So for the past week, I've been jabbing myself in the belly twice a day, and since Monday I've been taking rat poi-,er, Coumadin. I have to go back to the hematologist this evening. I've been poked, prodded, pricked, stuck and cuffed. Every time I'm cuffed that reading is different I'm sure. I'm starting to feel like a lab rat. I was scheduled to have a simple procedure next month, but I had to cancel that until at least October.
Old 15 August 2018, 02:02 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
After work I went to my doctor
I admire your work ethic but good lord, I would have called in s̶i̶c̶k̶ elephant-legged.
Old 15 August 2018, 07:13 PM

Icon101

I should have taken it more seriously, but I did not realize the swelling was due to the medicine not working. I thought the swelling was simply due to the fact that I took a walk and that elevating the leg would help it go down.