snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 20 January 2017, 10:16 PM

Really more than a little thing, but this morning I got a job offer from a large aerospace/defense company this morning. I'll be a software engineer working on stuff that goes on planes. I start two weeks from Monday.
Old 20 January 2017, 10:49 PM

Cheer

Congratulations, WildaBeast!

Last edited by smittykins; 20 January 2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: It's good manners to spell fellow snopesters' names correctly
Old 20 January 2017, 11:46 PM

Way to go, WB!!

My LTTMMH is that I got my health insurance stuff straightened out and wound up on a plan that gives me more coverage for $50 less a month than that plan that was giving me so much trouble. I wish I hadn't spent so much energy getting angry about it, but how could I have expected it to work out so perfectly
Old 23 January 2017, 03:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Really more than a little thing, but this morning I got a job offer from a large aerospace/defense company this morning.
This sounds suspiciously like you've gone from working for the same company as my brother to working for the same company as me.

Congratulations, and may you love your new job.

Seaboe
Old 23 January 2017, 03:56 PM

While I was visiting my hometown Saturday, a little girl with short, curly red hair looked at me, her face lit up, and she said "Mommy, she has hair just like mine!" It was adorable.
Old 23 January 2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
This sounds suspiciously like you've gone from working for the same company as my brother to working for the same company as me.

Congratulations, and may you love your new job.

Seaboe
No, actually not the same company as you. More like a company that competes with them on the defense side.
Old 23 January 2017, 11:38 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
While I was visiting my hometown Saturday, a little girl with short, curly red hair looked at me, her face lit up, and she said "Mommy, she has hair just like mine!" It was adorable.
Clearly, you've sowed wild oats, leaving progeny around you did not even know you had. Oh, those wild youthful years!
Old 25 January 2017, 12:42 PM

Cheer

New season of one of my favorite shows, American Greed. WOOT!!
Old 25 January 2017, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Walked my normal 5 miles yesterday (first time since I started getting sick more than a week ago).

Seaboe
Old 25 January 2017, 03:47 PM

Cheer

Congratulations on your new job WildaBeast!
Old 26 January 2017, 12:01 AM

1. I'm taking a Certified Ethical Hacker course
2. I'm teaching myself Splunk, and getting paid for some of it.
3. I haven't been to the hospital since June.
Old 26 January 2017, 04:27 AM

I found out my city parks department is installing a mixed use trail directly between my neighborhood and the beach. The nearest route between some impassable terrain was a road with no sidewalks, so the only safe way to walk to the beach before was to detour at least an extra mile, and even then it wasn't great for pedestrians, and even worse for bikes. This new trail is much more direct, and much flatter for bikes, and they're planting hundreds of trees, so it should be nice. It puts a little commercial area within walking distance too.
Old 29 January 2017, 03:02 PM

Waking up to this on my Twitter feed from PM Trudeau.
Check out @JustinTrudeau's Tweet: #WelcomeToCanada
Old 29 January 2017, 04:49 PM

My father and his parents got here by way of Canada, as the USA wasn't taking Jews directly from Europe at the time.

I have wondered from time to time why they didn't stay in Canada; though it's extremely unlikely that I'd be here doing the wondering if they had, as my parents, let alone that specific sperm and egg, would almost certainly never have met. (Alternate-world half-sister(s): how ya doing?)
Old 30 January 2017, 01:20 PM

The ACLU got over $24 million in online donations this weekend. They normally get about $4,000,000 per year. At least Trump et al. are encouraging people to give to the groups to fight him and protect the American way.
Old 30 January 2017, 05:27 PM

I have successfully called both my senators and my "representative" in the House.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:01 AM

I don't know about "making me happy" exactly, but this has just mildly amused me:

I have a friend on Facebook who's an American guy I met while travelling in the Baltics ten years ago. Apart from exchanging Facebook details, as one did at the time, I've not really had contact with him since, but I've been interested to see him develop into the only person I know on Facebook who posts right-wing, pro-Trump stuff.

Usually I've ignored his posts - I don't think I've interacted with any of them before - but left him there just to keep an eye on what the "other side" is saying. But he posted (yet another) video accusing liberals of hypocrisy; in this particular case it was about "the time Clinton wanted to build a wall" and had a video of Bill Clinton talking about the problem of illegal immigration and his intention for a clampdown without mentioning a wall in any way. Without even getting into questions about Clinton's "liberality" and whether the same people would have agreed or disagreed with his position at the time, it was a fairly easy target since even Clinton's proposals don't bear much relation to what Trump is actually doing, and I'm feeling less inclined to ignore things at the moment, so I commented asking if he really felt there was an equivalence.

Now, it seems his posts are either public or set to "friends of friends", because I noticed one of my friends, who doesn't know this guy in any way, liking my comment.

And the thing that amused me - when I looked just now, another of my friends has spotted it and actually commented... somebody we may remember from these boards for her ability to argue left-wing positions until everybody else gives up in frustration and goes away, even if they started out on the same side... I'm kind of interested to see how those two get on!

Facebook's great for making connections, isn't it?

(This guy is also the only person who I have heard say, literally, to somebody in Europe (Latvia) "We [the USA] saved your asses in WWII". I didn't think people said this in real life. He said this to an Estonian priest who was visiting Riga on holiday. If he had been paying any attention to Baltic history, which he should have been because earlier in the day I'd just spent a couple of hours going round their very good war museum with him, he would have known that the Americans got nowhere near the Baltics, that after several rounds of conquest and reconquest between the Nazis and the Russians, they eventually ended up under Soviet control, and that they were liberally shat on by both sides throughout the whole war and beyond. Nobody "saved their asses". At the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that since this was so far from reality, he was going for an exaggerated stereotypical position as some sort of ironic joke, but I've since decided he was serious.)
Old 31 January 2017, 05:30 PM

Icon23

I love my slow cooker! So easy to prepare great meals. Also happy that I found a conversion chart online so I can prepare non-slow cooker recipes.
Old 31 January 2017, 09:11 PM

Last week I finished reading a fantasy series where the main male character was described a bit like a Native American. It bugged me that I couldn't cast him in my mind's eye. There was a tendency to make him look like Viggo Mortenson since the character is Ranger-like but he is too pale. The cover art was so wrong. Today I figured it out. Lou Diamond Phillips is even the exact age as the character. Now I'm crushing on Lou like I haven't since Young Guns.
Old 31 January 2017, 11:49 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
Waking up to this on my Twitter feed from PM Trudeau.
Check out @JustinTrudeau's Tweet: #WelcomeToCanada
Along with that this also made me happy:

PMO slams Fox News for incorrect tweet about Quebec City shooting suspect

http://www.cp24.com/news/pmo-slams-f...pect-1.3265408

I am glad to see our government isn't going to roll over and go along with the Trump alternative facts view of the world
Closed Thread