snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 18 January 2017, 01:53 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Pretty sure Mouse, Dasla, et al aren't complaining that Trump doesn't yet know the nuclear codes or state secrets; it's pretty clear they're referring to his ignorance of things common people know and which a presidential candidate especially ought to know, such as that it's not OK to grab a woman's genitals without her consent, or that vaccines don't cause autism, or that Muslims don't pose a threat to our freedom and way of life and need to be registered for our safety.
Exactly, Esprise Me. In addition to all this, Trump is willfully ignorant. We're all ignorant about something, but there's a difference between being merely ignorant and willfully ignorant. Not only does Trump not know, he also doesn't care. He has yet to display any kind of intellectual curiosity and barring a miracle, he likely won't. In fact, he probably feels it makes his opinions all the more purer because he hasn't sullied himself with facts.
Old 18 January 2017, 03:01 PM

Glasses

If there is water on the road, to the point even Smart cars are spewing spray from their tires, slow down. The way to do this is lift your right foot--either partway or completely--off that footrest on the floor, depending on circumstances. Do not trade heavy pressure on the right-hand footrest for heavy pressure on the left-hand (or middle, if you have the honor of driving a manual) footrest. You're liable to end up like the car I saw this morning, well off the road into the underbrush and facing the wrong way.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2017, 07:24 PM

If you're trying to run for the Conservative leadership here in Canada by copying Trump you really might want to reconsider the promise to go to Ottawa and "drain the swamp" considering that the Liberals only came to power a year ago if there is a swamp to be drained it was put in place by 10 years of Conservative rule . But that said I realize logic has rarely held much sway with the people you're trying to reach.
Old 18 January 2017, 07:25 PM

Especially since it's quite apparent that Trump isn't draining any swamps here at all. He's expanding the swamp and turning a large part of it into a sewage pond.
Old 18 January 2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If you're trying to run for the Conservative leadership here in Canada by copying Trump you really might want to reconsider the promise to go to Ottawa and "drain the swamp" considering that the Liberals only came to power a year ago if there is a swamp to be drained it was put in place by 10 years of Conservative rule .
Reminds me of an ad Carly Fiorina ran when she running for governor of California. It featured her talking about all the great things that convinced her and her husband chose to move to CA many years ago. If someone on the staff had done a quick Google search, they would have learned that the governor of CA at that time was Jerry Brown -- who was also Fiorina's opponent in the race she made the ad for.
Old 18 January 2017, 07:47 PM

But his success in business is about on par with Trump's.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016...usiness-career

And his willingness to sell the government (not that I think the Cdn Senate is without conflicts of interest and influence peddling, but this plan is hardly cleaning it up).

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/senat...r-it-1.3240864
Old 19 January 2017, 01:35 PM

Further to Canuck Trumpettes, if you are going to try and argue with me that immigrants are going to be the downfall of the country at least try and have some actual reason for believing this other than a vague "the sky is falling" whine and yes I know damn well your immigrants rant is a thinly veiled attack on Trudeau and the decision to let in Syrian refugees **. Because gosh letting in @ 40,000 refugees is just going to send the whole country into an economic tailspin .

**and don't get me started on the difference between a refugee and an immigrant - but here's a tiny clue for you, generally speaking immigrants choose to relocate for economic or family reasons, refugees are forced to relocate or they may end up dead.
Old 20 January 2017, 08:26 PM

TYSHTTP: No, I don't have to respect Trump because he's president now. Respect is something that has to be earned and he's done absolutely nothing to earn mine. And I should have to be telling you this because you've spent the last eight years disrespecting President Obama for nothing more than his skin color.
Old 21 January 2017, 01:17 AM

Mouse

And remember, Crocoduck, we have to respect Trump, but he is under no obligation to respect anyone who isn't Rich, White, and Male. I thought about adding Christian to the list, in light of Trump's rumored anti-Semitism, but it's probably the money part that matters more. If they have money and influence, he will grudgingly tolerate them being all Jewish.
Old 21 January 2017, 10:45 AM

Whalephant

If your reservation requests one king bed for one person, you should not be surprised when you show up with your wife and three kids that you got....one king bed.

And since it's a weekend in high season, we're sold out, and you checked in at 1 AM, yelling at me will get you nowhere. We were nice and put a rollaway in your room gratis. Next time, don't lie about how many people will be in the room.
Old 21 January 2017, 10:31 PM

Thing you shouldn't have to tell people who work in the auto repair business: A manual transmission should be left in gear when parked, either in first or reverse. Every time I get car my serviced when I pick it up I find it parked with the hand brake set and the shifter in neutral.
Old 21 January 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Thing you shouldn't have to tell people who work in the auto repair business: A manual transmission should be left in gear when parked, either in first or reverse. Every time I get car my serviced when I pick it up I find it parked with the hand brake set and the shifter in neutral.
I've noticed that as well - it's one thing if the car's running (I just had my car serviced and when I went out to get it they'd left it running with the heat going), but I've picked up cars that are just on the handbrake. I don't get it. I mean, my car is in the garage right now, with the door closed, and it's in gear and the handbrake's on. Why not at the shop?

My father used to like to leave cars parked with just the handbrake on. He once did that with my old MG, which had a handbrake that was sketchy at best - he left it on a slight incline at a gas station, got out, and watched the damn thing roll away, right into the Armco at the end of the parking lot about thirty feet away. That was in 1991 - the barrier is still bent to this day.
Old 22 January 2017, 01:16 AM

Baseball

Especially this time of year. I have a problem on my vehicle where the handbrake freezes in slushy weather. So, going to a garage, getting the vehicle dealt with and ending up with a frozen handbrake is a terrible way to drive away from getting your car fixed.
Old 22 January 2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Thing you shouldn't have to tell people who work in the auto repair business: A manual transmission should be left in gear when parked, either in first or reverse.
About ten years ago, I was teaching a twenty-something to drive tractor.

These are old tractors, and it's possible to start one of them while it's in gear. We had to do some minor repairs on the barn wall. The defense was 'but it was parked in gear! why was it parked in gear?'

My response: "It's a standard transmission! It's supposed to be parked in gear!" -- but after that I added that to my list of things that yes, you need to tell people. Even at that point, a whole lot of people had never encountered what used to be called a standard, because it used to be the standard.

-- I agree, however, that people in the auto repair business should know about this, because they're supposed, not just to have more tools than their customers, but to know more about autos.

Last edited by thorny locust; 22 January 2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 22 January 2017, 10:31 PM

Although, to be realistic, it must be considered that the auto repair industry has specialized an awful lot. A body shop knows only the outer parts - the sheet metal (may not be metal anymore) and the passenger compartment. The tire/brake/alignment shop handles just those parts, not the engine or transmission. There are of course transmission shops where the only thing they really know is transmissions. The 'under the hood' guys may be people who can read the electronic diagnostics and then switch out parts. And of course, oil changes do the oil, filter, and usually the other fluids. As a practical matter, there is more overlap than that, but you need to inquire if you ask a shop to go beyond their specialty. I have had instances where most of the work could be done by the daily crew, but that A/C (for instance) guy only came in on X day. He ran a circuit at the other shops in the chain.
Old 22 January 2017, 11:29 PM

I would argue that simply because the workers will be driving and therefore parking numerous customers' cars they ought to know how to park the ones that have manual transmissions. I mean simply driving and parking it doesn't really require knowledge of how the transmission actually works. That said, while the place that inspired my post yesterday was a tire shop, I've had the same experience having the car serviced at the dealer where they really should know about all the parts.

But no, I wouldn't expect a layperson who's only ever driven automatics to know that. That's exactly why I added the caveat about people who work in the auto repair business.
Old 22 January 2017, 11:37 PM

Years ago a kid working in a local oil change place ran my Mazda through the garage door when he started it without pushing the clutch in. The first thing he said when he got out was 'it wasn't in park!'.
Old 23 January 2017, 03:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Although, to be realistic, it must be considered that the auto repair industry has specialized an awful lot.
If you're working on manual transmission cars, you should *amn well know how they work, no matter how specialized your business is.

Seaboe
Old 28 January 2017, 02:29 AM

TYSHTTP: when you have multiple email addresses for me, you should pick one and send stuff to it. Don't forward the same pointless picture to every single email address you have for me. It is entirely unnecessary to send me anything more than once if I don't ask for it. Especially given that you've had all of my email addresses for years and have regularly corresponded with me via email using only one of those addresses.
Old 30 January 2017, 03:10 PM

Glasses

Oh, Crocoduck, I agree 150%.

Seaboe
Closed Thread