snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 20 January 2017, 03:16 PM

NHTSA rules for buses indicate that they must be able to stop in 280 ft when traveling at 60 mph. Cars can typically stop at less than 200 ft from the same speed.
Old 20 January 2017, 04:10 PM

Larger vehicles take longer to stop than smaller ones, no matter what the road conditions are. I don't think that's got anything to do with traction on snowy or icy roads.
Old 20 January 2017, 04:26 PM

Buses require longer distances to stop, as was mentioned, and school buses are not required to have seatbelts or to have luggage/cargo (school bags, etc) secured in specific manners, which often causes injuries in case of crashes.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
...or only wound up in terrible condition because they hadn't had routine maintenance for many years
I had a similar thought. Particularly with public buildings, I wonder if Americans' distaste for spending taxpayer money results in buildings falling into disrepair until they reach the point where it's easier to demolish and replace them than to renovate them. The middle school I attended was your typical older two story brick school building, built by the WPA in the 1930s. It was demolished and replaced when I was in the 8th grade, so in 1993 or 94. I rather liked the building architecturally (at that time I wanted to be an architect when I grew up), but it really was in bad shape and I don't think anyone was really sad to see it go. I always thought a big part of why it fell into such disrepair in the first place was the fact that the county government's primary goal was stated to be to keep property taxes as low as possible. On the other hand there were legitimate reasons to replace it -- the building didn't meet modern fire codes. When we had our fire drills we never met the required evacuation time because it took so long to evacuate the second floor because the stairwells were such bottlenecks. I'm sure it didn't meet ADA requirements either. But even if it wasn't usable as a school anymore it would have been nice to see the building renovated and repurposed rather than demolished.

ETA: Oh, and on this:

Quote:
Are they? I genuinely have no idea. I would think the extra weight would improve traction, but maybe it doesn't. Anybody here drive a schoolbus in snowy areas?
I honestly have no idea, but even though they're heavier busses are typically rear wheel drive which is generally worse in snow. And I imagine the weight distribution isn't ideal either. A front engined bus would have most of the weight in the front and relatively little weight over the rear wheels, which wouldn't help traction in the snow. Conversely a rear engined transit style bus would have all the weight in the back and be really light in the front, which I think wouldn't help steering in snowy conditions.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 20 January 2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 20 January 2017, 09:53 PM

I don't know any specifics about driving buses, but I know the city buses here often have trouble with certain hills and turns in snowy conditions. (SO was once on a bus that got stuck turning onto a snowy street that is part of its regular route. He ended up waiting 2 hours and eventually walking across town in the blizzard to get home.) Many routes even have "snow plans" where certain areas are avoided during snow storms, and school buses often are cancelled on specific roads only.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I also hang out on a WW2 history forum. One of the more interesting threads has been one featuring "Then and now" photographs. Some forum members who live in Europe have been taking photographs taken during the war, and posting them with a current photograph taken from the same vantage point.

I've noticed one thing. They never tear down buildings in Europe, as far as I can tell. They are rebuilt and repurposed instead. It's amazing how many buildings that were heavily damaged during the war look great in the modern photograph.
Perhaps there's some confirmation bias at play? i.e. the buildings photographed were chosen specifically because they are unchanged from the war years?

I'm reminded of a series the local paper did a while back on the Pan American Exposition. The area where the event was held is almost completely unrecognizable today... except for the small handful of buildings intended as permanent structures, which look just as they did in 1901.

ETA: a question of my own. A common safety tip for anyone who has valuables they want to leave in their car while they are away from it is to place said items in the trunk. But since the average car now has a trunk release button in the cabin, is there anything to stop a would-be thief from smashing a window and pushing the button to open the trunk?

Last edited by Meka; 21 January 2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:46 AM

Very little can stop a determined thief, but the more time and steps they have to take, the less likely he'll target that car.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:56 AM

A thief is also less likely to smash and grab a car unless he knows there is something of value. Unless he sees that items go in the trunk hes probably not going to break a window and draw all kinds of attention to himself.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
Perhaps there's some confirmation bias at play? i.e. the buildings photographed were chosen specifically because they are unchanged from the war years?
The oldest structure in our town is almost 600 years old. But most of the town is much younger - a few of the buildings on the picturesque main square were heavily renovated, but other buildings have been entirely replaced, including the old town hall which had a serious lack of accessibility. There's also the practical aspect - if possible, an old bridge may be saved, if another bridge can be built alongside. But this is not always possible, and in that case, the bridge has to go. Switzerland has a lot of money, and there are companies which have enough money to decide to preserve a building, even if it means moving it. Swiss company moves 6,200 tonne building 60 metres

Unfortunately the Luzern train station burned down in 1991, so that entire corner of Luzern looks entirely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
A thief is also less likely to smash and grab a car unless he knows there is something of value. Unless he sees that items go in the trunk hes probably not going to break a window and draw all kinds of attention to himself.
Years ago friends of ours visited the Bronx Zoo and parked on the street. The two women decided to be safe, they would place their purses in the trunk of the car. This was after they parked. Purses were gone, trunk lock was broken, by the time they came back.

At Christmastime, there are often suggestions from police that if you are going to put valuables in the car at the mall and continue shopping, you should consider moving your car to help prevent theft.
Old 21 January 2017, 01:39 PM

Some years ago, I was parking in downtown Atlanta and my car had been broken into numerous times. I had nothing valuable in the car (especially after the radio had been stolen), so I began leaving it unlocked so at least the windows would not get broken as they gained access to see what could be stolen. There was a trunk button, but apparently the next group of thieves did not have that level of sophistication or literacy to understand that, because they broke the back seat to get into the trunk to find the valuables (none there either).

Sometimes I think the point was more to violate a working person's stuff and space than to actually profit.

One of the funniest results of this (I find humor in lots of stuff others don't) was that after the radio had been stolen, I bought for $1 a small tabletop radio I could put on the dashboard to get the traffic, news, and talk radio. The controls had gotten worn, such that you could only change the channels when it had been sitting in the car in the sun on a very hot day all day. But for me, it was fine. Once again, someone broke into the car and stole the only 'valuable' in it - my $1 portable radio that only played Rush Limbaugh, Neal Boortz, Sean Hannity and other conservative talk radio voices. I hope they got a lot out of it!
Old 21 January 2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Sometimes I think the point was more to violate a working person's stuff and space than to actually profit.
How would they know the car belonged to a working person?

Do you mean that you think you were being personally stalked, and the car was being broken into specifically because it was your car?
Old 21 January 2017, 02:40 PM

Because of the area it was parked in - no one was parking in that area but people working in downtown Atlanta who were avoiding parking fees at paid lots/decks.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:19 PM

More like they were targetting cars in an area with very a predictable pattern of witnesses.
Old 21 January 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
True; but a lot of them do get torn down for reasons that have nothing to do with the condition of the building; and/or only wound up in terrible condition because they hadn't had routine maintenance for many years, also for reasons having nothing to do with the original condition of the building.
I agree. The Columbus Union Station Arcade (I posted a link earlier about its sneaky demolition) is an example of the former, and possibly the latter, IMO.

It's a frustrating waste when a building that could have survived becomes untenable because neglect has led to damage that can't (either practicably or at all) be repaired. That's been the case with a couple of recently demolished buildings in my home town. Some people in the community have had a hard time accepting it.
Old 22 January 2017, 12:37 AM

What would cause an LCD screen to just not work temporarily?

Earlier today, I was at a store, and when I got into my car and started it, the LCD screen on the radio didn't work - it always says "Hello" when you start the car, then the time and station (if the radio is on) appear. This time, nothing, even when I turned the radio on, changed the volume (which would show the new volume level), turned the radio off and on again, etc. The backlighting (which is red and always on) worked, however. I drove for about ten minutes to another store, parked, shut everything down, and out of irritation tapped on the radio with my knuckles, got out of the car and locked it up. Coming back out maybe fifteen minutes later it was back to normal, and worked through a couple more stops.

Temperatures were unseasonably warm (almost 60F), but it wasn't like it was over 100 in the car while it sat in the sun or anything, or extremely cold. It's also a real LCD display like older calculators or digital watches - greyish background with black markings. It's also not a nav system or a touch screen - it's literally just a display for the radio/CD player. Car's a 2014, so it's not an old display.

Part of me wonders if the polarizer was goofed up and tapping the screen righted it or something.
Old 22 January 2017, 03:02 PM

My guess is just a guess: It probably needs a bit of software in there to run it, which it loads when it starts up. If that didn't load properly it probably would simply not work. It sounds like you shut it off entirely and restarted it so, just like a computer (and a bunch of other software), turning it off and on again can often do the trick simply by allowing it to load correctly this time. Anything at all could cause that code not to load properly - loose wire, radio interference, cold connections, etc.
Old 22 January 2017, 11:55 PM

That makes sense, I'm not a complete technophobe but I don't really understand how something like this would work, either. It didn't occur to me that there'd have to be a bit of programming in the radio just to run the simple station/time display. I might try and dig up the wiring diagram and see if there's anything wiring wise I can look at.

It's the first time this has happened. I guess I was worried because my last car was about 20 years old, and it's radio display worked just fine when I got rid of it (that head unit was the original, and it still had a tape player and no CD).
Old 23 January 2017, 03:29 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
ETA: a question of my own. A common safety tip for anyone who has valuables they want to leave in their car while they are away from it is to place said items in the trunk.
I believe the point is that if the valuables are in the trunk, a would-be thief would not know there was anything valuable in the car. The problem with this advice (one my employer points out), is that if you put the valuable into the trunk when you reach your destination, than anyone who saw you park knows there's something valuable in the trunk.

In other words, putting your valuables in the trunk only protects them to the extent that no one knows they're there. You should put the computer, purse, whatever into the trunk while still on protected property and not when you reach your destination.

ETA: My stupid question--does walking bent over when you hurt your back really making walking less painful? My experience over the past few days says "no" (although I catch myself doing it, anyway). I'm wondering if it's related to the type of back injury.

Seaboe.
Old 23 January 2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
ETA: My stupid question--does walking bent over when you hurt your back really making walking less painful? My experience over the past few days says "no" (although I catch myself doing it, anyway). I'm wondering if it's related to the type of back injury.

Seaboe.
Apparently so:

Quote:
And [people with spinal stenosis] often feel better when the spine is flexed-when they are sitting, walking uphill, riding a bicycle, or leaning over a grocery cart, for example.

People with severe stenosis may have a habit of leaning forward in a stooped position to relieve pain.
- Link

When I was having bad lower back pain, walking felt better than standing or sitting. Unfortunately, you can't walk 24 hours a day.
Old 23 January 2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
It didn't occur to me that there'd have to be a bit of programming in the radio just to run the simple station/time display. I might try and dig up the wiring diagram and see if there's anything wiring wise I can look at.
Any reasonably new car will have dozens of microprocessors throughout the vehicle, all quietly running software to do menial things you've never given any thought. Several different microprocessors are running software counting the revolutions of your wheels. When you step on the brakes, it's a processor that decides whether to actually let you brake and how to do it. The "infotainment" systems integrated into the controls of many new cars make it obvious that it's a computer interface. But even the simplest of modern electronics, that you wouldn't even think of as being in any way intelligent, are generally now created by programming little tiny computers rather than hardwiring things to perform their specific task. Your house is full of devices running software to do things that you didn't know required software to do.
Closed Thread