snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25 February 2007, 02:07 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,655
Ponder People who don't get the concept

Comment: Pin numbers in reverse

Another reason this is not a good idea: Your pin number in reverse MIGHT BE MY legal number.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25 February 2007, 02:36 AM
lynnejanet's Avatar
lynnejanet lynnejanet is offline
 
Join Date: 17 December 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Pin numbers in reverse

Another reason this is not a good idea: Your pin number in reverse MIGHT BE MY legal number.
Yes, because as it is, every single person just happens to choose a random PIN that is different from anyone else's.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25 February 2007, 05:50 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,655
Icon101

Comment: If this stuff isn't true then why do you people put it on there?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25 February 2007, 06:09 PM
inkrose115's Avatar
inkrose115 inkrose115 is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: If this stuff isn't true then why do you people put it on there?
Because we're sick, sick people with nothing better to do, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25 February 2007, 10:44 PM
BringTheNoise's Avatar
BringTheNoise BringTheNoise is offline
 
Join Date: 10 November 2003
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 7,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
Yes, because as it is, every single person just happens to choose a random PIN that is different from anyone else's.
That's an interesting, vaguely related point. How many combinations can a 4-digit PIN have?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25 February 2007, 10:55 PM
Victoria J
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
That's an interesting, vaguely related point. How many combinations can a 4-digit PIN have?
10000.

0000 - 9999.

(You may now be slightly embarrassed you asked...)

Victoria J
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25 February 2007, 11:17 PM
BringTheNoise's Avatar
BringTheNoise BringTheNoise is offline
 
Join Date: 10 November 2003
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 7,304
Default

D'oh! :o

Added embarrassed text.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25 February 2007, 11:20 PM
pinqy pinqy is offline
 
Join Date: 20 February 2000
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 11,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
10000.

0000 - 9999.

(You may now be slightly embarrassed you asked...)

Victoria J
I'm embarassed that I did the math (10x10x10x10) instead of doing it the simple way.

pinqy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25 February 2007, 11:30 PM
Victoria J
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
D'oh! :o

Added embarrassed text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
I'm embarassed that I did the math (10x10x10x10) instead of doing it the simple way.

pinqy
I think we are too used to working combinations out where letters and other symbols are used. Then you do need the maths.

It is a sign of you both being deep thinkers

Victoria J
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05 March 2007, 07:54 PM
SiKboy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
10000.

0000 - 9999.

(You may now be slightly embarrassed you asked...)

Victoria J
Isnt it actually less than that? I'm fairly sure that numbers like 0000, 1111, 2222, and 1234 are blocked and cant be used as a PIN. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05 March 2007, 09:03 PM
Doug4.7
 
Posts: n/a
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKboy View Post
Isnt it actually less than that? I'm fairly sure that numbers like 0000, 1111, 2222, and 1234 are blocked and cant be used as a PIN. Am I wrong?
No, mine is.... wait, maybe I shouldn't tell....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05 March 2007, 11:55 PM
One-Fang's Avatar
One-Fang One-Fang is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 November 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKboy View Post
Isnt it actually less than that? I'm fairly sure that numbers like 0000, 1111, 2222, and 1234 are blocked and cant be used as a PIN. Am I wrong?
They advise against using them, but I don't think they actually block them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.