snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 02 November 2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Crocoduck was wrong (and would have known he was wrong if he'd bothered to actually check some sources before he posted, as I did when I originally posted about how orca is Latin for whale) but he refuses to admit it. He's not arguing in good faith or trying to make worthwhile contributions to the thread, he's just trying to avoid losing Internet Points or something. He's a sore loser and he doesn't have the grace to admit he was wrong and has been wasting everyone's time from the second he chimed in on the conversation.

I'm guessing he heard that "orca refers to Orcinus" crap on a TV show or something and thought he'd impress us with his factoid which he hadn't bothered to independently verify and then got all embarrassed and butthurt when I pointed out he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
I conceded that I was wrong about the orca/Orcinus thing days ago. Ever source I posted listed Cetus as being Latin for whale. My issue is that you have been making personal attacks and insults against me over a simple argument over language, which is quite surprising since I'd thought you were a much better person than that.
Old 04 November 2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I conceded that I was wrong about the orca/Orcinus thing days ago. Ever source I posted listed Cetus as being Latin for whale.
Every one of those cites was rejected. Note that not one of my cites has been rejected or even questioned. You were wrong about the Cetus thing as well. I'm STILL waiting for your actual cites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
My issue is that you have been making personal attacks and insults against me over a simple argument over language, which is quite surprising since I'd thought you were a much better person than that.
You deliberately created a derail (which could have been completely avoided if you'd properly researched your statements) and then refused to drop it once you were shown to be wrong. You were obviously never really interested in the subject or finding out what those Latin terms actually meant in context, you were just arguing to try and save face. You were not arguing in good faith and you refused to drop the subject.
At no point have I insulted you or made personal attacks, I simply described your actions in plain language.