snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 October 2017, 10:06 PM

Cheer Weird Al Yancovic: Ill-Advised Vanity Tour 2018

OK, one of those "If I won the lottery" daydreams I've had: to hire Weird Al and his band to play at a private party. But since it would likely be a small venue, I wouldn't ask him to bring all the props and costumes and stuff. And I'd want to hear him play a lot of songs that aren't on his usual set list; the parodies are often brilliant, but some of his original stuff is very good and clever and really are my favorite work of his.

I'll never be able to that...but that's basically what this tour is.

And he's playing San Diego. In fact, the venue (Humprey's by the Bay) happens to be the site of the last two concerts I've attended: The Go-Gos, and Devo. Somehow that seems appropriate.

And...opening for him will be Emo Phillips!

Yeah, I'm going to this.
Old 13 October 2017, 10:20 PM

Wow, those tickets are substantially more than any other Weird Al concert I've attended has been. Still going to catch it.
Old 13 October 2017, 10:55 PM

This maybe belongs in First World Problems, but why is it when acts I want to see play in my area, it's always on a weeknight?
Old 13 October 2017, 10:56 PM

I'm just dropping by to do a little bragging - I've seen a show a lot like this. He was taking 2017 off from performing, until the 501st Legion called up and told him it was their anniversary, and they wanted him to play at the bash at Star Wars Celebration. As he is the only honorary member of the Legion, he agreed.
It was awesome. We were in a replica of the Cantina from Star Wars, maybe 1000 people or so, and he played a lot of his original stuff. Of course he played the two Star Wars songs, as well, and a few of the big hits. But you could tell the biggest fans based on how much they were into the stuff that most of the people didn't recognize. I knew most of it, but he pulled out a couple that I hadn't heard.
Enjoy the show - it's not coming close enough for me to go.

ETA - WildaBeast, the fact that you brought up FWP is funny to me since the first time I heard the term was from the Weird Al song.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:01 PM

Fright

Jesse I saw his name first and thought this would be yet another sad, untimely, death of a beloved celebrity... *WHEW*
Old 13 October 2017, 11:11 PM

Gah, sorry to give you the heart attack, TGG.

I'm not actually seeing ticket prices anywhere. I figured they'd probably be pricey, with the smaller venues. Recently I noticed that one of my current favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan, would be playing in the area; but when I looked up the price, I thought I could wait for the next Netflix special instead.

ETA: Found the ticket prices. Holy NFBSK. OK, maybe I'm not going...at least I will need to wait a while before buying, which means they'll probably sell out.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:34 PM

I am one of the fans who's been asking him to do this show for years...and then I see there are no Florida dates. So, I have to make a grueling 8-hour road trip up to Georgia.

Where are the ticket prices? The only ones I've seen are for the VIP packages.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:42 PM

Yeah, I may have panicked. I went to the venue site and it looks like the price I saw was for some kind of close-up reserved seating, or possibly VIP package, or something. So maybe it won't be quite so bad.
Old 15 October 2017, 01:17 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Jesse I saw his name first and thought this would be yet another sad, untimely, death of a beloved celebrity... *WHEW*
Weird Al is on my list of celebrities who aren't allowed to die until I do. Though under ideal circumstances, it'll turn out that Weird Al is the highlander and since there can only be one, he needs not fear death. I also haven't ruled out the possibility of Weird Al suffering from some kind of Benjamin Button disease given that he looks younger now than when he began his career in the eighties.

Before anyone brings up the Dorian Gray possibility, first of all, Weird Al is awesome, so he wouldn't need that kind of deal. Second of all, I've already decided Kirk Cameron is the one who made the Dorian Gray deal. He made it when he converted, which explains why he hasn't aged since the eighties. Though I imagine Dorian Gray was a lot more fun to be around than Kirk Cameron is.
Old 15 October 2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I am one of the fans who's been asking him to do this show for years...and then I see there are no Florida dates. So, I have to make a grueling 8-hour road trip up to Georgia.

Where are the ticket prices? The only ones I've seen are for the VIP packages.
He will be at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, a small venue. Tickets are not yet on sale. My son saw either him or They Might Be Gignats* there and at least at that time, there were no seats. Everyone stood for the show. That was years ago.
--------

*Not a typo. A Phineas and Ferb reference.
Old 15 October 2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Before anyone brings up the Dorian Gray possibility, first of all, Weird Al is awesome, so he wouldn't need that kind of deal. Second of all, I've already decided Kirk Cameron is the one who made the Dorian Gray deal. He made it when he converted, which explains why he hasn't aged since the eighties. Though I imagine Dorian Gray was a lot more fun to be around than Kirk Cameron is.
I'm sure that any deal Kirk Cameron made was Faustian in nature.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:37 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Had me going too! It's not nice to scare people so early in the morning!!

That said....are you coming back to Wolftrap Weird Al? Pleeeaaassseeee???
Old 18 October 2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
He will be at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, a small venue. Tickets are not yet on sale. My son saw either him or They Might Be Gignats* there and at least at that time, there were no seats. Everyone stood for the show.
Fan club pre-sale tickets went onsale today, and apparently the show at the Tabernacle has a seating arrangement. (Every Weird Al show I've been to was sit-down, unless he's playing a festival.) Anyway...to my surprise I'm still a registered fan club member, and I lucked out and was sent a pre-sale code. I decided to blow my budget, and scored a front row seat.
Old 18 October 2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Fan club pre-sale tickets went onsale today, and apparently the show at the Tabernacle has a seating arrangement. (Every Weird Al show I've been to was sit-down, unless he's playing a festival.) Anyway...to my surprise I'm still a registered fan club member, and I lucked out and was sent a pre-sale code. I decided to blow my budget, and scored a front row seat.
I actually looked for a like button.
Old 20 October 2017, 09:50 PM

Holy crap! I almost forgot to get on and buy a ticket to this today.

Managed to get what I think will be a decent ticket in the (relatively) cheap section. I may possibly upgrade to VIP later, if it's still available. (Not the ultimate one where you get a meet & greet, unfortunately, but at least some extra stuff like the watch. )
Old 20 October 2017, 10:36 PM

When I went online to buy a ticket today, approximately 7 minutes after they went on sale, I selected "best available" for seating and ended up with a seat in "balcony rear". Ah well, it's a relatively small theater and even that's not terrible. I suspect all the non-balcony seats went to the people who had pre-sale codes.
Old 20 October 2017, 10:45 PM

I REALLY wanted VIP tickets, but they were CAD$350 a piece, so I had to pass. I had to get my tickets almost two hours later and was already pretty far back, but it looks like a pretty small venue, so I doubt it'll be hard to hear anything.
Old 20 October 2017, 11:39 PM

Yeah, I didn't go to buy one till nearly 90 minutes after they went on sale. I thought I would be screwed. Phew. (It probably helped that I was buying a single seat.)
Old 21 October 2017, 01:53 AM

There was an issue with my Ticketmaster account: it said I had an incorrect password but it wouldn't let me change it. So I used one of my other email addresses to create a new account and got a ticket. It's on the floor and looks pretty close to the stage. Should be a good show.
Old 21 October 2017, 06:35 PM

Just got a pretty decent orchestra level seat at the Miller Theater in Augusta, GA. Looks like an interesting venue; originally built in 1940, closed in 1984, being renovated and scheduled to re-open in Jan 2018.

http://millertheateraugusta.com/

Really looking forward to finally seeing him live. Don't think I've ever sat on a bench in a Savannah square without thinking of "Gump".