snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 June 2017, 04:53 AM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
It takes a bit of effort to set up and take down - there are a lot of fiddly little game pieces - but the learning curve isn't terribly steep and it's quite fun.
I think the expansion with its addition of the corruption mechanic and extra boards is quite interesting and challenging if you've already played the base game a fair bit, but it also makes for a looser game.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I think the expansion with its addition of the corruption mechanic and extra boards is quite interesting and challenging if you've already played the base game a fair bit, but it also makes for a looser game.
The gamer who brought it mentioned an expansion to the game, but we've only played this twice, the first time a couple of years ago, so we're not quite ready for that yet. But I can see the day coming when this, and Pandemic, and Race for the Galaxy, and Settlers of Cataan (our core go-to games that we seem to enjoy) start to pall, and we begin looking at expansions to them. But we have so many games! One of our group has been attending conventions for decades, and always buys interesting little games, so has a closet full of stuff he never gets to play and is eager to bring along. We may never get to the expansion stage....
Old 09 August 2017, 09:05 PM

I'm not playing it yet, but the next game I will buy is going to be Fallout from Fantasy Flight Games. I think FFG puts out quality products for the most part, and I love me some Fallout in about any way I can get it.
The game mechanics sound interesting, as it will be bringing the SPECIAL system, HP and Rads along. Without a mod, I think this is the first time that you can play as a Super Mutant in the Fallout universe.
Old 09 August 2017, 09:22 PM

Fallout Tactics allowed you to use Super Mutants in both single and multiplayer modes, though that game is only broad-strokes canon.
Old 09 August 2017, 09:57 PM

And that's the one Fallout game I've never played. Never been a big fan of that genre.
Old 09 August 2017, 10:04 PM

You really didn't miss anything.
Old 10 August 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I'm not playing it yet, but the next game I will buy is going to be Fallout from Fantasy Flight Games. I think FFG puts out quality products for the most part, and I love me some Fallout in about any way I can get it.
The game mechanics sound interesting, as it will be bringing the SPECIAL system, HP and Rads along. Without a mod, I think this is the first time that you can play as a Super Mutant in the Fallout universe.
I MUST HAVE THAT GAME.

Yep, it's one my list of games that I gotta have.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:59 PM

FFG puts out great quality material, but some of the rules lack coherence, and it's gotten worse since they've been swallowed by Asmodee.

My friends and I play Descent II, and we are constantly running into quirky little rules hijinks.
Old 12 October 2017, 03:36 PM

Our last gaming session, someone bought - and brought - Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, which is it's own game and not an expansion of the original Pandemic. It uses the same basic rule set, but the board and the cards and the pieces all reflect Lovecraftian sensibilities. Instead of little cubes representing "amount of plague", you have cultists; there are also a small number of shoggoths. The board represents Lovecraft's New England, centered on locations such as Dunwich, Arkham, Innsmouth and so on. The object is to close down Gates and prevent Great Old Ones from showing up.

We goofed up the first round and won it handily, which caused us all to raise our eyebrows - no way any Pandemic game should be easy, and a Cthulhu-esque one even more so. Then we found out how we'd goofed, and played a second round of WAY harder Cthulhu Pandemic and lost, hard. That was more like it!
Old 12 October 2017, 04:08 PM

Did you have appropriate music?
Old 12 October 2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Did you have appropriate music?
Heh heh - not that one, no. But I do have a solid collection of Midnight Syndicates' first 7 collections, including the Dungeons & Dragons "official soundtrack" (game, not movie) (which is how I first heard of them).

I have to admit, while the bulk of their stuff is enjoyable and appropriately creepy, my single favorite track is on the D&D CD, of the sound of some dice being shaken and rolled, followed by an, "Uh-oh."
Old 12 October 2017, 07:53 PM

I just started a Dragon Age campaign with my group using Green Robin's Dragon Age RPG. Two sessions in and we're liking it so far!
Old 25 March 2018, 03:53 PM

As I mentioned in the Little Things That Make Me Happy thread, I had the chance to play some new tabletop games last week when I visited my daughter in New Mexico. Both are card games, both use dice (d6) to resolve certain aspects of game play.

Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre. A lot of fun. I'm not sure if this was an actual rule or a house rule, but we played it so that we had to speak in a distinctive voice/accent appropriate to the wizard we were playing. My chosen wizard was Krazztar, the Blood-O-Mancer, and I used a voice reminiscent of Skeletor's from the original He-Man cartoon, because why not? In a nutshell, pells are assembled and cast (in the wizard voice), and opponents take damage; the last wizard standing gets a "win" token. The first wizard to get two tokens wins the game.

The game is probably not for younger children or those with sensitive souls, as the rules are well-laced with expletives, and many of the spells are suggestive at the very least. But it was a lot of fun, especially with the weird voices we used. "Krazztar the Blood-O-Mancer casts Walker Time Ranger's Ballsy Testikill!! Nya-ha-haaa!" I did not win any of the rounds, nor the game, but had a great time.

Machi Koro is a Japanese city-building card game that uses cards to represent buildings that provide various kinds of income. Think of it as a kind of Monopoly meets a Sim City version of Settlers of Catan, using cards instead of a board, and where the cards control your resources. You gain coins, to spend on purchasing new building cards, but the real power is in the buildings. My daughter quickly gained the upper hand early in our one and only game, obtaining a few cards quickly that basically turned the rest of us into payout machines for her own city. The outcome was pretty much without doubt by the fifth or sixth round. Still, it was interesting and probably more fun than I actually had...

The problem I - and the rest of the players aside from my daughter - had was that die rolls basically control income, so when my daughter got a few good rolls early on, she was able to purchase the cards that gave her control over a lot of other cards that the rest of us had. This meant that when, for example, I rolled a number that gave me three coins, her cards mandated that she get three of my coins. So there goes my income. The rest of us stagnated at some point in the game, feeding her our incomes. Luck may well have too much of an impact on the game.
Old 08 April 2018, 06:48 PM

I visited my cousin and played a couple of board games with him and his children and my aunt.

One was called Labyrinth - I've played it before but I can't remember where or when. You're dealt cards with treasure on them, then you have to slide maze tiles in and out of a board to try to make paths for your playing piece to reach each item that you need to collect. It annoys me a bit that I can't remember when I last played it!

The other was called Escape from Atlantis and was good fun - not one I've seen before but this was the 30th Anniversary edition so it's been around a while. The island of Atlantis is set out on removable hex tiles in the middle, each of which is either sand, vegetation or rock. Each player takes turns putting their people on a tile. You also get two boats which each hold three people. Each turn, you get to move your pieces 3 places (which you can split between pieces) then remove an island tile starting with sand, then when all the sand has gone, vegetation then rock. The tiles have action cards on the back and leave sea behind, so that the island slowly disappears, and one of the rock pieces has a volcano that ends the game. The object is to get your pieces on to the boats (or let them swim) and get them to one of the safe islands in the corners of the board. There are also sea monsters, sharks and whales that can attack swimmers and boats.

I enjoyed it, even though I came last thanks to picking a fight with my aunt. One good thing is that it's quite quick, because the island sinks at a constant rate and so there's a maximum possible number of turns; once you've got to the point where everybody knows the rules, it only takes half an hour or so to play.