snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 July 2017, 01:33 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Do you really want to piss off rabid, mutant, killer hummingbirds by suggesting they are inferior?
Cure them with some Miracle Spring Water!
Old 25 July 2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't mind it but can someone explain to me why a singer would pronounce mountain as mountain with the "tain" pronounced to rhyme with rain? It grates on me every time.
That appears to be Anthony Newley singing the song (he's the guy who actually wrote it in 1961) rather than the perhaps-better-known Matt Monro version. Anthony Newley was from Hackney so it's an exaggerated-for-stage-purposes version of his real 1960s north-east London accent, I'd say.

Here's Matt Monro's version which is far less annoying. It's actually not a bad song when sung with a decent voice.

(eta) Or Sammy Davis Jr. if you prefer.
Old 26 July 2017, 12:22 AM

Those KFC ads with the deeply tanned "Extra Crispy" colonel are starting to creep me out a bit.

In addition, those two lamebrains from the Sonic ads are really starting to get on my nerves.
Old 03 August 2017, 05:35 PM

Ugh, they've brought back those stupid Juicy Fruit commercials where people "talk" by making random noises, like arm farts or pulling a zipper up and down. Yeah I'm making a mental note to rush out and buy a gum that will make me act like an idiot .
Old 08 August 2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Those KFC ads with the deeply tanned "Extra Crispy" colonel are starting to creep me out a bit.

In addition, those two lamebrains from the Sonic ads are really starting to get on my nerves.

You're not the only one on both counts.
Old 08 August 2017, 09:54 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I feel you, but the charm of that southern accent plus a graving got me to go out and buy KFC for the first time in years, so... Sorry.

The adds that are driving me nuts are those stupid Haribo Gold-Bears commercials with child voices dubbed over adult actors. The companies that have ads scheduled to run after those Haribo commercials ought to sue Haribo or the network for damages because the second I realize it's "one of those commercials" I immediately change the channel, trying to get somewhere else before the children's voices cut in. It's not cute, it's stupid and annoying and results in me missing later commercials (which I could not care less about) and often a portion of the program I was watching (slightly more annoying).
Old 08 August 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I feel you, but the charm of that southern accent plus a graving got me to go out and buy KFC for the first time in years, so... Sorry.
Is that a craving for gravy?
Old 11 August 2017, 07:34 PM

No

This Swiffer commercial that shows a little boy giving haircuts to his stuffed animals and about to give one to his little sister. Mom panics, the boy makes some very odd expression, and Mom is not panicking any more - apparently because Swiffer will make it all better. WTF? What about the sister's hair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ty0yTmH_M
Old 18 August 2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
This Swiffer commercial that shows a little boy giving haircuts to his stuffed animals and about to give one to his little sister. Mom panics, the boy makes some very odd expression, and Mom is not panicking any more - apparently because Swiffer will make it all better. WTF? What about the sister's hair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ty0yTmH_M
It must be nice having a mom that takes messes in stride instead of yelling at you when they occur. What's that like?
Old 18 August 2017, 07:57 PM

The ad is stupid, but I love the little boy's evil facial expression.
Old 24 August 2017, 01:21 AM

CYH: Bounce's new fabric softener commercial about the guy with the wrinkly shirt. Aside from being an annoying parody of The Outfield's Your Love, in the end scene after he uses the product, the guy's shirt is still super-wrinkled, it's just zoomed out so they're not as obvious.
Old 09 September 2017, 04:06 PM

Apparently all the jokes/memes about women only eating Special K, yogurt and salads got back to Kellogg, so now they have these Special K ads about how, actually women **do** eat, and "we own it." Um, the point of all those jokes/memes is that there's nothing to "own," in the sense of "acknowledge as a wrong," because there's nothing wrong with women eating.

It's incredibly tone-deaf. This explains it better than I can, and includes a video.

ETA: Here's a post from Special K. If it accurately describes what they were trying to do, they missed the mark by a looooong way.
Old 12 September 2017, 02:41 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

It's incredibly tone-deaf. This explains it better than I can, and includes a video.

Yeah. DH happens to like that cereal, but after seeing the ad, I told him that he was no longer allowed to eat it.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:48 PM

I agree about the tone deafness and annoyingness of that advert but what bugs me most is the obligatory scene of a woman chowing down wearing just a bra . I don't know how many times I see this in food adverts that are supposed to be about eating quickly and on the run. Because don't most women rush into the kitchen in their bra to eat? Taking time to throw on a shirt is just more than can be expected when hunger strikes.
Old 12 September 2017, 04:23 PM

There is a commercial in the area I'm from for a local handyman service called Arnolds. Throughout the commercial there is a sound of a phone ringing while on vibrate. Every time I hear the commercial, I have to check my phone to see if I got a message or a call, even though I know the sound is from the commercial and I rarely get calls or texts.
Old 12 September 2017, 04:52 PM

There's a window that looks directly into my kitchen, and I can't keep the blind down because kitten.* I'll put a shirt or robe or *something* on, even if I'm getting the hunger shakes.

*She's two years old this week, but she's wild.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:04 AM

When I decided to post about this commercial, I found the video link by googling creepy razor commercial. First result.
Old 13 September 2017, 01:21 AM

That was just weird.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:58 PM

Icon09

I don't really hate it, but there is this radio ad for an ED clinic that promises results right in the office! I'm guessing that there are some rooms in the back where couples can try out the treatment?
Old 17 September 2017, 01:24 AM

Not one I hate, but just had me kind of confused:

One of those 'you won't believe what happened to these actors from the 90s' clickbait ads that names and has a photo of Pauley Perrette. I don't even watch NCIS but I recognize her from it and I know it's a currently airing popular show.