snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 January 2017, 01:15 AM

There's a radio commercial (two of them actually) for some "all natural" woo-nder remedy to give you a flat belly. Both commercials are in the "call in" style, wherein an announcer answers obviously fake phone calls about this amazing product.

Aside from the fake call in show style (which I always dislike), a couple of things annoy me about these spots. One is that the claim is that the woo-nder remedy "rids your gut of pounds of rotting food and toxic sludge" (one "caller" actually asks if it's true that your belly is full of "toxic sludge"), which is just nonsense and makes the product sound like a laxative and nothing more. Similarly, one "caller" complains about how the product works too well, and now her belly is too flat! Oh noes! The solution, of course, is to take the supplement every other day, rather than daily, which then makes me think it's kind of a dangerous thing to be taking.
Old 12 January 2017, 01:40 AM

I've gotten rather sick of the Farmers Insurance commercials. While they're kind of funny, the recurrent theme of "we've seen these bizarre situations, that makes us a better insurance company" doesn't really make sense.
Old 12 January 2017, 01:41 AM

Read This!

Yeah, there's a weight loss commercial on late night TV that warns: "Warning, if extreme weight loss occurs, cut dosage in half!!"
Old 14 January 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I've gotten rather sick of the Farmers Insurance commercials. While they're kind of funny, the recurrent theme of "we've seen these bizarre situations, that makes us a better insurance company" doesn't really make sense.
I think the idea is that there's no situation they won't be able to deal with. Using realistic situations would be kind of boring and unmemorable, but I can still recall the stag party.
Old 15 January 2017, 12:44 AM

There's an online ad I've been seeing a lot that claims they'll teach you how to win the lottery. Their hook is that "many repeat lottery winners report using a strategy that increases their odds of winning dramatically", which just makes me want to yell "correlation doesn't mean causation!" I'm sure many people who play the lottery regularly claim to have a "strategy", and just because of the sheer number of people who play the lottery some of those people are going to win more than once. That doesn't mean their strategy helped them win.
Old 22 January 2017, 10:48 PM

Volkswagen's new SUV commercial about the couple who go up to the peaceful mountain stream... and then freak out when a bald eagle grabs a fish (accompanied by the scream of a red tailed hawk) both for the OMG Nature Is Scary part and the use of the wrong species's vocalization.
Old 23 January 2017, 04:53 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
... use of the wrong species's vocalization.
Didn't you know that all raptors in movies/tv/commercials vocalize as the red-tailed hawk?

Sorry, long standing joke in the birder community. Just like the kookaburra vocalizations in jungle locations.
Old 23 January 2017, 05:19 PM

There have been a couple of dishwasher detergents commercials (Cascade?) that refer to putting the 'alfredo' pan in the dishwasher. And the pan is covered in remnants of red sauce. Er, that's not what alfredo should look like.
Old 23 January 2017, 05:58 PM

The Cascade commercial I just saw with the red alfredo also bugs me to no end because the woman's voice initially is very shrill and demanding - classic "shrew" voice. But when the Cascade actually works somehow her voice is now soft and pleasant. So there ya go guys use Cascade and turn your shrewish wife into the sweet little gal you know you deserve .
Old 23 January 2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Their hook is that "many repeat lottery winners report using a strategy that increases their odds of winning dramatically"
Also, "buy two tickets instead of one" is a strategy that dramatically increases your chances of winning.

In a similar vein, a chicken producer is airing insinuating that their chicken is the same as Purdue's (which is raised without antibiotics) because the FDA requires that all chicken be free of antibiotics when it is sold. No antibiotics is not the same as no antibiotics when sold.
Old 23 January 2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
Didn't you know that all raptors in movies/tv/commercials vocalize as the red-tailed hawk?

Sorry, long standing joke in the birder community. Just like the kookaburra vocalizations in jungle locations.
Yeah, there was even a nature special a few years ago on Animal Planet that had an advertisement featuring two bald eagles fighting... accompanied by the screeches of a red-tailed hawk.
Old 23 January 2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
Just like the kookaburra vocalizations in jungle locations.
I'm reminded of the trailer for the Disney Nature film Chimpanzee, presumably a picture that shows well-documented facts about the chimp's African environment. An overhead shot of the jungle includes the erroneous yet ubiquitous sound of the kookaburra.
Old 23 January 2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
In a similar vein, a chicken producer is airing insinuating that their chicken is the same as Purdue's (which is raised without antibiotics) because the FDA requires that all chicken be free of antibiotics when it is sold. No antibiotics is not the same as no antibiotics when sold.
The idea that the non-use (or implied non-use) of antibiotics would be a selling point at all seems kind of irritating.
Quote:
Can't be any worse than those Liberty Mutual commercials, which I still hate. They're not even funny.
Old 23 January 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Can't be any worse than those Liberty Mutual commercials, which I still hate. They're not even funny.
Liberty Mutual at least tells you about their policy. They're trying to sell their policy as if it's better than their competitors when it isn't, but they're at least talking about it.

Farmer's has ads about how one time, they covered a house that burned down because a dog jumped on the dial for a gas stove to steal a slice of pizza. Nothing about the actual policy or their rates.
Old 24 January 2017, 03:24 PM

Icon101

I've been hearing a radio ad for some payroll software that can help small businesses, but the spokesman comes across as a complete idiot. Example (paraphrase): when I started my business, I would just hand-write a check and tell my teen-aged employee to wait until Thursday to cash it. One day my employee told me that his father told him that state law requires me to give him a pay stub! Ooops! Now I know better!

So let me get this straight mister: you started a business and did not research your state's law regarding things like pay stubs? And you now expect people to buy your software?? You're an idiot!

ETA: whenever I hear the Farmer's jingle, I say We are kit-ties! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow!
Old 24 January 2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
ETA: whenever I hear the Farmer's jingle, I say We are kit-ties! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow!
I think I'm going to start doing this.
Old 05 February 2017, 09:16 PM

AT&T's new commercial for their unlimited data service is annoying. Getting our data plan will cause you to quote movies in inappropriate and annoying ways?
Old 05 February 2017, 10:13 PM

That one mostly annoys me, but I have to admit it makes me giggle when he says "hasta la vista, baby" to his actual baby.
Old 05 February 2017, 10:37 PM

Haven't actually seen that one. I find the "and don't call me Shirley" in the business meeting to be the worst.

I think the worst part is how easy it would be to have the commercial actually be funny, which indicates that they deliberately went for obnoxious instead.
Old 06 February 2017, 01:27 PM

The baby one was the first gag in one of the ads. Set me up for disappointment.

Taking the mike away from the guy who said "Any other questions" to say "Bueller? Bueller?" was my least favorite.