snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 April 2018, 02:09 PM

United States Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek re-election

Article here.

The screw you guys, I'm going home! press conference has just concluded.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 11 April 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:42 PM

I'm guessing we'll see a lot more anti-Trump statements from Speaker Ryan now.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:43 PM

Love the congratulatory tweet from Trump, who I'm guessing is a big part of why Ryan made the decision.
Old 11 April 2018, 04:22 PM

Ponder

I often wonder how much of a resignation/not seeking re-election is less of a I-want-to-see-my-kids-grow-up/spend-more-time-with-my-family and more of a I-can't-stand-this-person-but-I-don't-want-to-make-it-public.
Old 11 April 2018, 04:55 PM

And while this might not be true for Ryan (or maybe it is?) I'm sure a lot of the time it's also a case of "I stand a good chance of not being re-elected, I'm going out on my own terms not because someone handed me my hat and showed me the door".
Old 11 April 2018, 05:20 PM

Let's see, he oversaw a massive tax cut and increase in spending, to ensure that the US national debt continues to rise into the foreseeable future, and then said "OK, I am outta here!" Good job selling the Republicans as the fiscally conservative party.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
And while this might not be true for Ryan (or maybe it is?) I'm sure a lot of the time it's also a case of "I stand a good chance of not being re-elected, I'm going out on my own terms not because someone handed me my hat and showed me the door".
On NPR's Morning Edition this morning there was in interview with the head of the National Republican Congressional Committee. The interviewer kept pressing him on why, in addition to Ryan, a much higher than usual number of Republican Representatives are choosing not to run for reelection. He kept insisting that, no, really, all these Congressmen are stepping down for personal reasons.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:21 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm guessing we'll see a lot more anti-Trump statements from Speaker Ryan now.
Probably. Few are so brave as someone who refuses to speak out against someone who poses a threat, lest it cost them their career. God bless the brave, steadfast GOP.

If the GOP really cared about principles, if they were genuinely shocked and horrified by Trump's actions or by Neo-Nazis representing their party, it's not like they're completely helpless to do anything about it.

They could kick them out of the party, being like, "You can run for whatever office you want, but not as a Republican." The idea isn't entirely unprecedented. John Tyler was ultimately kicked out of the party he had served. Or they could do what they did to Joe McCarthy, who was censured and ultimately driven out by the GOP, aka the party he was actually a member of.

But time and time again, the GOP opts out of doing anything, beyond whining ineffectually or waiting until they no longer have to worry about reelection to make stronger critiques. I wonder why.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:36 PM

I don't think there are actually any provisions in the USA for party leaders to kick somebody out of a party. If the person wins a primary, they can run on that line.

There are other things that Republicans in Congress could do, of course. They could vote against bills they disagree with. They could call for censuring people who they feel are sufficiently out of line. They could publicly, loudly, and clearly denounce such people. They could even announce they're going to conference with the Democrats, or at least that they're going to vote with the Democrats on specific issues.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:06 PM

AIUI, the US does not officially recognize political parties as political entities, they are considered private organizations for the most part. A member of the Republican or Democratic party (someone who specifically joined a state or national committee, not just a registered voter) could be be expelled from that group.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:29 PM

GenYus, do you know any specific process for their doing so?

IIRC, a number of Republicans did denounce an avowed Nazi who got on a state ballot as a Republican lately; but they appear to have no way to get him off the ballot or off that line. He won the primary; very likely only because the Republicans didn't put up anybody else, but still, he won the primary. -- ah yes, Arthur Jones.