snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 10 November 2017, 06:32 PM

Default Songs, movies, or tv shows that you reference in everyday life

Are there any songs, movies, or tv shows that no matter what, you can some how reference in a normal conversation. For me, I can reference King of the Hill, Seinfeld, and Napoleon Dynamite all the time. To lessor extent, A Christmas Story. I always say that everything seems like it can some how be drawn back to one of those three movies/ shows. Sometimed it is kind of embarrassing how much I can reference them. What are the shows/ movies you like to reference way too much?
Old 07 December 2017, 04:41 PM

TV

"I KNOW NOTHING!!!" from Hogan's Heroes is a meme for the ages.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:07 PM

Our biggest quote is from the post-credits of Mighty Wind. When someone (usually a talking head on TV) says something a bit convoluted, one of us will say, "That's almost like poetry." and the other will reply, "Almost."

Another is "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative." from Blades of Glory.

From Ron "Tater Salad" White we get, "Next time you have a thought, just let it go."

Upon looking at this list, most of our quotes seem to come from talking back to the TV.
Old 07 December 2017, 08:04 PM

Well, I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe, but I have been known to make references, from time to time. Maybe a little more recently, but I do think we must keep our faith in the Republic, because the day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it. Too many believe in power - unlimited power! - and it seems that liberty is dying to thunderous applause.
But mind tricks don't work on me, so even though I have a bad feeling about this, I'll stay on target. This is a new day, and a new beginning. They want us to be afraid, because fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. Some say we're doomed. I say they can't win - if they strike us down, we will become more powerful than they can possibly imagine.
Old 07 December 2017, 08:27 PM

Australia

When you're chewing on life's gristle, just give a little whistle,
and maybe things will turn out for the best.

And always... (C'mon, type along)
Old 07 December 2017, 08:43 PM

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."
Old 07 December 2017, 09:24 PM

I tend to reference The Simpsons a lot.

"Mmmmm, [adjective]"
"Can't sleep. Clown'll eat me."
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
Old 07 December 2017, 09:36 PM

The classic, from Casablanca,

Quote:
Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
So, pretty much every day, I'm shocked, shocked! to see something.
Old 07 December 2017, 10:38 PM

There are several I use with some regularity:

Seconding Lainie's Inigo Montoya quote (and I'll add: "Doesn't that make you happy?" and "You're very clever. Now shut up.")

Also DawnStorm's Hogan's Heroes line.

From It's a Wonderful Life: "Now this is a very interesting situation!"

From The Court Jester: "Get it?" "Got it." "Good." (Usually a 2-person performance with my wife.)

From Cool Hand Luke: "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

From Fawlty Towers: "Now, try to understand before one of us dies." (Also, "I could spend the rest of my life having this conversation." and "Don't hit me; always you hit me!" and one more iteration of "I know nothing!")
Old 07 December 2017, 11:10 PM

Baseball

I frequently use Futurama for many references. (Good news everyone)

Plus, I've been known to use the Princess Bride to help a conversation along. (When someone is droning on I start with Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...)

For music, I am not a big fan of music, but I have been known to use Duran Duran lyrics in email to get my point across. (When I am in the mood, I'll send an email that starts Please, Please tell me now, is there something I should know.)

Finally, my personal favourite type of joke is the malapropism. And there are many films and television shows that use them very well. I am naturally prone to using them (something that I really have been working on for nearly all my life to not fall victim to). So, naturally, I love watching TV or movies with them. Some that I have adopted are from Hot Fuzz (Judge Judy and executioner), No Clue (She asked for a red wine, how about a Molay? Sir, that is a Mexican chocolate sauce), and the Trailer Park Boys (This is the worst case Ontario).

And for a bonus, my brother recently hooked me up with old time radio on Archive.org. I am starting to quote Dragnet, the Shadow and Johnny Dollar.

Gawd help us.
Old 08 December 2017, 12:24 AM

UEL, have you seen Raising Hope? If you like malapropisms, you'd get a lot of mileage out of it.
Old 08 December 2017, 12:45 AM

I use some of the other lines people have referenced -- the Casablanca one, and "Good news, everyone."

And when I'm telling a kitty how cute it is, I sometimes use Monica's line to Richard (Friends), when she was surprised/baffled by his (relative) lack of sexual experience: "Have you seen you?"

Last edited by Lainie; 08 December 2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:27 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I use some of the other lines people have referenced -- the Casablanca one, and "Good news, everyone."
I quote Casablanca frequently too, but for no other reason than I like to. My current favourite (due to the month we are in) is "It's December 2017 here, what time is it in New York"!

Old 08 December 2017, 01:34 AM

I'm not sure that there's much of anything I say that isn't a pop culture quote. I specifically quote a LOT from The Simpsons, Futurama, various parts of the original DCAU as well as Young Justice, plus scads of movies. Partially because my son and I share "witty banter" based on having watched these shows together.

I used to be that more-than-annoying guy who would quote a song featuring the name of someone I just met. It was unjust, misdirected retaliation for all the times people did that to me. I got over it, both ways.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:35 AM

From Office Space:

Bob: "Looks like you've been mssing a lot of work lately."
Peter: "I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob."

This becomes "I wouldn't say I've been [insert verb here]-ing it, Bob."

Or just about anything else from Office Space.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:36 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
UEL, have you seen Raising Hope? If you like malapropisms, you'd get a lot of mileage out of it.
I've never heard of this movie. I'll see if I can get it on Netflix. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08 December 2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G. Walker View Post
From Office Space:

Bob: "Looks like you've been mssing a lot of work lately."
Peter: "I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob."

This becomes "I wouldn't say I've been [insert verb here]-ing it, Bob."

Or just about anything else from Office Space.
I don't know why I didn't think of Office Space before. Maybe I have a case of the Mondays.

And that's a good segue into what I was coming here to post. I haven't watched South Park in years, but at the end of the work day I like to quote Cartman -- "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Old 08 December 2017, 03:27 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I'm not sure that there's much of anything I say that isn't a pop culture quote. I specifically quote a LOT from The Simpsons, Futurama, various parts of the original DCAU as well as Young Justice, plus scads of movies. Partially because my son and I share "witty banter" based on having watched these shows together.

I used to be that more-than-annoying guy who would quote a song featuring the name of someone I just met. It was unjust, misdirected retaliation for all the times people did that to me. I got over it, both ways.
At first I thought, "Are you my evil twin?" but your profile said you were 48 and I'm not. Even if we were the same age, it'd probably turn out like Treehouse of Horror where it turned out that Bart was the evil twin all along. Seriously, though, you're practically me. I relate to everything in pop culture, but in my defense, fiction has the common courtesy to make sense.
Old 08 December 2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
"I KNOW NOTHING!!!" from Hogan's Heroes is a meme for the ages.
Misses something when none of your co-workers know this, but I still use it. [Those who might have seen it, would have probably seen it in German, and misses the actor's inflection.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I haven't watched South Park in years, but at the end of the work day I like to quote Cartman -- "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Also used during meetings. Same problem as above, though.

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

And from Finding Nemo (which is also pretty close to the German version). "Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine."

And maybe doesn't quite fit the OP, but at least once a month there will be a round of Mahna Mahna.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:49 PM

Glasses

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a {job descriptor}!

Everything is awesome! Everything is awesome when you're part of a team!

It's a perfectly cromulent word!

[doctor Nick voice] Hello everybody![/doctor Nick voice]

It's only a flesh wound!

The peasants are revolting!

Conan, what are the best things in life?

Fetchez la vache!

I seem to have a quoting problem!