snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 December 2017, 02:25 AM

I canít stand things pointing at me, such as a pen on a desk or the TV remote beside me on a couch. Itís something I only developed in the last 20 years or so, and donít really recall what started it. This isnít a phobia as such , as I donít feel any type of fear, but it feels strangely uncomfortable.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:25 AM

I definitely have issues with textures. It's why I've never liked bananas even as a kid, I couldn't stand the mushy texture. I also like tomato sauce when it's not chunky (though I can do chunks in salsa). Also, though I despise olives with a passion, I loooooove olive oil.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:43 AM

I like Egyptology and medical shows, including videos of surgeries, so when I sat down the other night to watch a documentary on China’s “wet” mummies, I thought I’d love it.

I didn’t. I gagged so much I had to turn it off. And now because of this thread I’ve linked it in my mind to soggy fruitcake.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:03 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
Also, though I despise olives with a passion, I loooooove olive oil.

There's an olive oil shop at Marche Jean Talon where you can try as many oils as you like until you find one you want to buy.

I lost my husband and DD2 in there for an hour while they happily tasted and bought several varieties of olive oil.
Old 07 December 2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I don't mind doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom, but I can't stand making up a bed after washing the sheets.
I grew up without a dishwasher, so I'm used to washing dishes by hand. When I was little I hated washing dishes as most teenagers probably do and longed for the day I'd have a dishwasher. However, as an adult, I find I hate using the dishwasher more than handwashing the dishes. I find the loading and unloading process tedious and the smell of a dish washer is for some reason really gross to me. There are times I'm grateful we can just "throw everything in the washer" but if I have a modicum of energy I'd usually rather wash everything by hand and put it away right away.
Old 07 December 2017, 12:26 PM

Whalephant

Dishwashing is my favorite household chore.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:06 PM

Washing dishes by hand is my Achilles heel. When I lived alone, I devised a number of dinners that required only using one dish so that I could stack up my sink until doing dishes was absolutely necessary a couple weeks down the line. These days, I'm a little better, but not much.

The weird tidbit about myself is that I still have favorite and least favorite numbers, like a first grader. I will go to odd lengths to avoid 7s in my life. I just hate that number. My anniversary is on a 27th, though, but I rationalize that it's 3 cubed, so that number is okay (I love 3s). If I can do something online that can change a 7 (add a like, for example), I will. But if that thing I do will cause a 7, I will NOT add a like or reblog/retweet/share or whatever. I even have problems with multiples of 7 a lot of times.

It's not that I think it's unlucky or because I'm obsessed with it. I just hate 7s and do what I can to not see them or be associated with them. This has not been a fun year for me...
Old 07 December 2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Dishwashing is my favorite household chore.

My late mother loved ironing. Hands down her favorite household chore. Me, I find it hot and tiring, which is why DH does the ironing--what little of it there is--in La Casa DawnStorm.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:54 PM

I love this board. So nice to find out I'm not the only one who hates the texture of tomatoes. I thought for years that I disliked salsa, until I tried roasted corn & black bean salsa, and realized it was the tomatoes I hated, not salsa.

I hate almost all green vegetables. To me, there's very little taste difference between green beans and grass. I always taste the chlorophyll. Plus, green beans squeak. I can't stand that. I don't think it's necessarily weird to dislike vegetables; it's the reason that's weird.

Seaboe
Old 07 December 2017, 03:59 PM

I can eat some tomato-based salsas, those with very finely chopped tomatoes and lots of peppers/onions. But I prefer green, tomatillo-based salsas.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:08 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
The weird tidbit about myself is that I still have favorite and least favorite numbers, like a first grader....
As do I. I will got to immense lengths to avoid 13. As an example, if I have exactly 13 unopened emails in my inbox, I will either read one or mark another as unread to give me some other number.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:10 PM

My BIL could not stand raw tomatoes, but loved cooked ones, especially as pasta sauce.

I enjoy dish washing. Growing up, it was a good way to be able to leave the usually high stress family meals (Oh, I will just take care of the dishes while you all argue!) Now, it is a sort of quiet time for me, though my 5 year old is VERY eager to help since she is the biggest helper in the world. That usually means she dries and puts away the silverware.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:45 PM

Glasses

When we first moved to Pullman, I was the only child on our street (temporary housing) that was not school age. My mother used to let me wash the breakfast dishes in order to keep me occupied. I could spend hours washing five glasses and five bowls. I remember pretending that the foam was ice cream and turning the glasses into ice cream cones.

After we moved into our house, we had a dishwasher and I didn't need to wash dishes anymore.

Seaboe
Old 07 December 2017, 08:01 PM

My mom enjoyed washing dishes by hand, especially when we kids were young. We never had to help because she preferred that we go away and leave her alone to do it.
Old 07 December 2017, 09:27 PM

If I say I like doing dishes, my dw is going to ask me 'then why the heck are there some dirty dishes in the sink'. So I will say I like doing dishes but there are some other things that I like to do more - or have to do more - just now. (The latter of which is not posting this. Sh. Don't tell dw. I like doing dishes but I like doing this more...)
Old 07 December 2017, 11:28 PM

Baseball

I've put it out here before, but despite having nearly 30 years in uniform, in a testosterone filled workplace focussed on bringing combat forces to bear on an enemy, and being comfortably heterosexual...

I was a male figure skater up until I was almost 15. I still have a nice set of figure skates that I use on the local rinks. Come this winter's Olympics, although I enjoy watching the curling, hockey and skiing when it is on, I will rearrange my schedule to watch the figure skating.

As one of my old bosses pointed out to me, "Richard, you have never had a problem with your self esteem, have you?" No sir. I put a lot of credit in my flexibility of thinking to the fact that I was a male figure skater when no one else was.
Old 08 December 2017, 12:15 AM

And that is best tidbit so far. By far. Please post photos.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:25 AM

Baseball

If I can dig up 33 year old photos, I certainly will.
Old 08 December 2017, 03:41 AM

Excellent.

PS. I love figure skating.
Old 08 December 2017, 04:35 AM

Royalty

I hate hoovering. It's boring and repetitive.

I'd rather mow the lawn.