snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 07 December 2017, 04:51 PM

Throw Tomato How did you find out that Santa Claus was not real?

Maybe I should have put this in the NFBSK folder even though the subject's about as suggestive/sexy as a dirt pile.
Anyway, I stumbled onto the truth by 1)Accidentally stumbling on some Christmas presents that my parents didn't hide too well, and 2) Finding boxes near the trash can when I went to throw something away. One year I decided to test my theory: when I went to bed on Christmas Eve night, I lay awake and heard my parents tearing open boxes/packages. I was not disappointed, in fact finding out the truth answered some questions that I'd had such as how anyone could get down a chimney and how such a huge sack of toys could be piled onto a sleigh. Not the mention the whole flying reindeer thing.
I'm trying to remember how old I was when my theory was confirmed; I might have been about 10-11.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:53 PM

Icon06

This thread. You had to have known someone was going to do that.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
This thread. You had to have known someone was going to do that.
DawnStorm, now look what you've done! Don't worry, GenYus234, DawnStorm is just making a joke. There really is a Santa

With regard to the topic, I never had a revelation moment. Instead, it was something that I realized over time (probably around 8 or 9 years old). I do remember being chastised by my mother after telling my little brother that there was no Santa Claus.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Everyone knows that there's no such thing as a sanity clause" ab Arthur
Old 07 December 2017, 05:40 PM

I had two older brothers and I'm certain they would not have let me believe for too long. I would guess that as soon as they figured it out, they made sure I knew as well. I was very young when it happened and since my parents behaved exactly the same when we knew as they did before we knew it didn't really matter.
Old 07 December 2017, 06:20 PM

I honestly don't remember how I found out. Maybe from other kids at school? Or maybe I just sort realized on my own that it would be impossible for anyone to do what Santa Claus is said to do.
Old 07 December 2017, 06:25 PM

I don't remember a specific way or time when I found out. I knew presents supposedly from "Santa" often had my mother's handwriting on the gift tag, but sometimes I'd get a mystery package with handwriting I didn't know. But I think it was sort of a gradual realization.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:54 PM

Glasses

Mine was a gradual realization; my sister (like Cervus) recognized my mom's handwriting on the tags.

A coworker, when her older son figured it out, threatened him with dire consequences (i.e., no more presents from Santa) if he told his younger brother that Santa was not real. I think her boys are about 5 years apart.

Seaboe
Old 07 December 2017, 09:10 PM

My parents never told us that Santa was a real living being. For one thing, they didn't want to lie to us. They said they give us gifts in the (very real) spirit of St Nicholas. So I never had any "finding out". (It was finding out that other kids believed he was real that was the shock.)
Old 08 December 2017, 02:16 AM

I am not sure I ever believed in Santa. I recall going to the city one year to see Santa at the local department store and having it cancelled because of a bomb scare and Mum saying something that made me think she realised I didn't believe and in fact had never expected me too. But I did get Santa presents every year, separate to my presents from parents and had a pillow case at the end of the bed for my Dad to sneak in to put the Santa present in. We also left rum and Christmas cake out for him.

In addition to this, for years my parents would hire a Santa suit for my Dad to "arrive" in for my cousins* at the family lunch with their Santa presents. Until one noticed Santa had uncle Jeff's eyes.

*All my cousins are a fair bit younger then I am.
Old 08 December 2017, 03:12 AM

I believe I stopped believing in Santa about the time I entered grade school, but I'm not sure on that.
Old 08 December 2017, 03:36 AM

Mouse

I'm not exactly sure either. I think I just had some doubts until I asked Mom and Dad and they explained things to me.

Now a more interesting question: were any of you ever bad enough to be visited by Krampus?
Old 08 December 2017, 04:41 AM

I don't remember ever believing that Santa was literally real. My family always treated the presents, leaving cookies out, etc as just a fun tradition, not something real. Like other non-Santa-believing kids, I was ordered not to ruin the fun for the believer kids at school.

ETA: My dad still labels all the presents he gives us kids "from Santa." My youngest sibling is now in her late twenties.

Last edited by Veruca; 08 December 2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Bonus anecdote
Old 08 December 2017, 10:17 AM

I don't remember ever thinking Father Christmas was real, either. From as early as I can remember, I could tell that the stockings mysteriously only got filled when my parents knew I was asleep, and various other signs. (We had small unlabelled stocking presents that were nominally from Father Christmas, but all the main presents were labelled with who they were to and from).

I don't think my parents seriously tried to convince me he was real - it was obviously a game from the start.
Old 08 December 2017, 02:32 PM

Although we weren't/aren't Christians, we had a sort of secular Christmas celebration, and some of the gifts were generally labeled "from Santa".

If I ever thought Santa was real in other than a metaphorical sense, though, I can't remember it. But I also don't remember what I thought about other kids thinking Santa was physically real; and some of my classmates must have. So maybe I've just forgotten the whole thing; other than there being some gifts "from Santa" which, by the time I was old enough that the memories are clear, I took to mean "we don't want to tell you who this one is from, so you don't need to thank someone in particular, and/or so if somebody else didn't get you anything at all you won't know that, because maybe a Santa gift is from them". Maybe, in retrospect, they were labeled that because my parents didn't know whether I thought Santa was real, and wanted to play along if I did?
Old 08 December 2017, 10:56 PM

I was 7 and found a Barbie doll "mint in box" in my mother's closet. Looking back I think I must have suspected something was up because I was searching my mother's closet .

I've always felt bad that it was my carelessness that let Santa out of the bag for my son - I forgot to take price tags off some of his gifts. In his words "I don't think Santa shops at Zellers, Mom."
Old 09 December 2017, 12:06 AM

I can actually remember the exact moment. I was at my grandmother's house, and there was a magazine article on "Raising an Aries child." That being my sign, I was reading through it, and one of the pieces of advise was something to the effect of, "Don't destroy his believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too soon." I felt a moment of shock, but I think after that I wasn't really surprised. I had already figured out the Easter Bunny (and the Tooth Fairy) were not actual living entities, but somehow I clung to faith in Santa somewhat longer.

(Part of this was due to a teacher I had -- I seem to remember it being second grade, but that seems kind of late in retrospect -- giving us an "eyewitness account" of seeing Santa on her block. Rather than arriving in a flying-reindeer-driven-sleigh, he showed up in a long red car, which somehow seemed more plausible. I think that prolonged my belief a bit over what it otherwise would have been -- I knew someone who had seen the real Santa!)
Old 09 December 2017, 02:16 AM

That's a funny story EQ. How much funnier it would have been if it read "don't destroy his beliefs in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or horoscopes too soon".
Old 09 December 2017, 03:45 AM

Like Ganz, my parents never told me he was real, but they told me not to spoil it for other kids. I tried, but there is probably someone out there whose answer to this thread would be, “Little Pink Pill ruined it for me.”
Old 09 December 2017, 09:58 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
We also left rum and Christmas cake out for him.
Bet he came to your house first every year!
Old 10 December 2017, 12:13 AM

One of the first and longest debates I had here was about whether children who don't do Santa should be severely educated and reprimanded not to tell others. I say teach the controversy! I mean, if the whole myth crumbles at the first little sign of doubt then it's really no fun or worth at all. But, anyway, we had that debate. (I lost. Few people on the board at that time agreed.)