snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 13 July 2018, 07:11 PM

Ponder Swapping out cream of some vegetable soup with heavy cream

I recently bought a magazine that features slow cooker summer recipes. In fact I'm going to try one of them tonight. One of the recipes that I want to try in the future is for creamy red potatoes. Among the five ingredients is a 10-3/4 ounce can of undiluted cream of potato soup. Another ingredient is a packet of ranch salad dressing mix. The amount of sodium for this recipe checks in at a whopping 1455 mg.
When I make this recipe, I was thinking of using heavy whipping cream instead of the soup. Good idea or not? Or is the packet of salad dressing mix the source of all that sodium?
All I know is that holy crap that's a lot of sodium!
Old 13 July 2018, 07:47 PM

Glasses

IMO, not (I made cream of chicken soup once, and it is a very different critter when made from scratch). Plus, it adds a lot of fat.

Doesn't Campbells make a low sodium version? I wonder whether you could use low sodium ranch dressing instead of the dressing mix, and put in mashed potatoes?

Seaboe
Old 13 July 2018, 07:53 PM

I'd bet a lot of the sodium is coming from the ranch. I have a recipe for Mississippi pot roast that uses a packet, and it was ridiculously salty.We looked at the package, and it looked like the packet we used had over 2000 mg - don't remember the exact number, but multiplying sodium per serving by number of servings got us right around there. I ended up finding a recipe for the same thing that didn't call out ranch, but just other herbs and spices. The swap was one tsp each of chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley.

As for swapping out the cream soup with heavy cream, I have no idea if that would work. But I had this question come up before, when a recipe called for cream of mushroom and we didn't want the mushrooms. I found this method of making an easy cream soup, and the recipe worked well. It is effectively just making a bare bones cream soup out of butter, flour, milk, and broth that takes less than 10 minutes to be done. Should definitely be a way you can get less sodium in the recipe.